Underseal/wood treatment

grrgerry

Hi,

Thanks in advance form a new member. I've searched for a solution online but with no joy.

My Stargazer was undersealed last year by the dealer. There are two sections that are 2inch wide and cross the width of the rear end of the van that was covered with some sort of sticky tape. This was peeling off in places so I have removed the worst of it exposing the timber beneath. I have no idea about what to do next !

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Hi, I have a Stargazer, and have had damp problems along nearside and across rear originally.

My suggestion it to firstly check across the rear inside the cupboards and below the cooker for any evidence of damp, and put the rear end up on blocks and get under it to probe the wood to check for any evidence of degradation.

if it is seemingly still sound, then get a spray can of underseal and apply it liberally over any exposed wood. It is a messy job, so get some decent overalls.

of course, if the wood is showing decay, then it must be repaired properly, an expensive job as it could involve removing the kitchen and shower cubicle to get at it ..expensive!!!.

I hope that you dont have the same problem that I had.. but I wish you luck.

tonyg3nwl

Guest pelmetman

Personally I wouldn't use underseal on a wood floor, as your just trapping the moister in.......

If it has started to delaminate you could drill small holes into the floor and inject it with an epoxy resin they use for boats ;-) ...

Thanks for your replies.

The timber is solid and no signs of damp. There are signs of repairs but this is of no surprise as the vehicle is over 10 years old. I have gone down the (part) traditional route for exterior wood. I've sanded, cleaned with white spirit and first coat of wood primer. Not so traditional is that I have found an all surface paint which is mainly used for rust. States that it can be used on wood. First coat I will mix with white spirit and apply today, weather permitting.

If anyone's interested I'll let you know the results.

Archived