Varta AGM LA95 Battery Matching

Bop

Team,

I'm after some advice please on what AGM battery would go with a new Varta LA95.

We picked up our new van 6-weeks ago and it came equipped with the LA95 but I really need two because the onboard 80l compressor fridge zaps the power when off-grid (It's a Globecar).

It has a CBE PRS300 Reg and CB516-3 charging unit so this combo can easily cope with any of the three battery types from what I gather. I also have 120w of solar and this may increase to 240w soon.

Could someone give me an idea of which AGM battery I could match to my current LA95 without breaking the bank.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew

...well, the obvious answer is another LA95 (two of them will fit (snugly) under an otherwise unencumbered Ducato front seat).

Will cost you £200+ sovs, however, and be careful who you order from - a leading online supplier, though advertising them, had none in stock and no chance of sourcing one, even after taking my order (and money). Another supplier was much more responsive, at a slightly higher cost.

If you want exactly the same technology, then an LA60 might suffice, but frankly, the difference in price is so little that I wouldn't bother.

Bop - 2019-01-14 6:57 PM

Team,

I'm after some advice please on what AGM battery would go with a new Varta LA95.

We picked up our new van 6-weeks ago and it came equipped with the LA95 but I really need two because the onboard 80l compressor fridge zaps the power when off-grid (It's a Globecar).

It has a CBE PRS300 Reg and CB516-3 charging unit so this combo can easily cope with any of the three battery types from what I gather. I also have 120w of solar and this may increase to 240w soon.

Could someone give me an idea of which AGM battery I could match to my current LA95 without breaking the bank.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew

Andrew, I assume the requirement for a second battery means you won't be on EHU much so the charger won't be doing much of the charging?

If that is the case then the small size of the charger shouldn't be an issue. But if you intend to use the mains charger a lot, it will struggle to deliver the current needed by two AGM batteries, which as you know can charge twice as fast (therefore draw twice as much current as a Wet Acid battery).

The theoretical limits of a charger on wet batteries is 10 times the charger output converted to AH, in your case 16amps x 10 = 160Ah.

Obviously with AGM batteries placing double the load on the charger, that drops by half.

If you discharge the battery deeply then the load on the charge will rise still further.

We have seen a big increase in Sargent PX300 failures since Swift's adoption of AGM batteries. The PX300 is 25amp charger designed for wet acid batteries, it isn't designed to support the current draw of AGM's which we think is the cause of the issues.

I would strongly advise you don't load the CBE CB516, 16 amp, with 2 x 95Ah batteries if you want it to last.

Has the Alternator output been modified to charge at the 14.7v that AGM's need when on boost and 13.5v once fully charged? The lack of 14.7v Alternator charge voltage is likely to lead to the batteries not getting fully charged once the batteries are a few months old.

The Varta AGM's really don't like being continually Float charged, unless the voltage is below 13.4v.

eventually leading to loss of capacity and degradation. AGM's are best used in applications where there is a Smart Alternator installed that drops to 13.4v once the battery is fully charged

I would also suggest their use isn't ideal with a compressor fridge either. AGM's are generally not good at being discharged deeply, which is what tends to happen with the big draw of a Compressor Fridge and then recharged fast.

Banner now list as a major disadvantage of their AGM batteries, that they don't Deep Cycle very well and this also applies to the Varta AGM's.

I assume the Solar regulator is AGM optimised?

I have never been able to find out what the CB516 charges the Starter battery at when it is set for an AGM battery. Does it charge the Starter battery with the same voltage as the AGM Leisures or is it at the correct 14.4v?

I would suggest you think about ditching the LA95 and buying two 100Ah Exide ET650's deep cycle wet/flooded batteries at about £140 ea from Alpha Batteries.

They will also work happily with a 14.4v standard alternator, etc. They won't last years with the hammering from a Compressor Fridge, but should give twice the life of an AGM.

Robinhood - 2019-01-14 8:30 PM

...well, the obvious answer is another LA95 (two of them will fit (snugly) under an otherwise unencumbered Ducato front seat).

Will cost you £200+ sovs, however, and be careful who you order from - a leading online supplier, though advertising them, had none in stock and no chance of sourcing one, even after taking my order (and money). Another supplier was much more responsive, at a slightly higher cost.

If you want exactly the same technology, then an LA60 might suffice, but frankly, the difference in price is so little that I wouldn't bother.

Very many thanks for your advice. I took the liberty of phoning Alpha Batteries yesterday morning and it appears they don't stock the LA95 via their website so this looks to be a sign of times for the LA95 - perhaps!

I was really sceptical about the AGM unit from reading the many commentaries on the forums but the dealer wouldn't change the battery for a wet cell so I'm afraid to say but I was stuck with it from the outset.

The dealer told me that they had to supply the AGM battery or else it would invalidate their warranty. I've not heard of anything like this before and the last thing I wanted was to invalidate a new van, hence the acceptance of the LA95.

Thanks for your post-up ;-)

Regards,

Andrew

aandncaravan - 2019-01-14 9:36 PM

Andrew, I assume the requirement for a second battery means you won't be on EHU much so the charger won't be doing much of the charging?

If that is the case then the small size of the charger shouldn't be an issue. But if you intend to use the mains charger a lot, it will struggle to deliver the current needed by two AGM batteries, which as you know can charge twice as fast (therefore draw twice as much current as a Wet Acid battery).

The theoretical limits of a charger on wet batteries is 10 times the charger output converted to AH, in your case 16amps x 10 = 160Ah.

Obviously with AGM batteries placing double the load on the charger, that drops by half.

If you discharge the battery deeply then the load on the charge will rise still further.

We have seen a big increase in Sargent PX300 failures since Swift's adoption of AGM batteries. The PX300 is 25amp charger designed for wet acid batteries, it isn't designed to support the current draw of AGM's which we think is the cause of the issues.

I would strongly advise you don't load the CBE CB516, 16 amp, with 2 x 95Ah batteries if you want it to last.

Has the Alternator output been modified to charge at the 14.7v that AGM's need when on boost and 13.5v once fully charged? The lack of 14.7v Alternator charge voltage is likely to lead to the batteries not getting fully charged once the batteries are a few months old.

The Varta AGM's really don't like being continually Float charged, unless the voltage is below 13.4v.

eventually leading to loss of capacity and degradation. AGM's are best used in applications where there is a Smart Alternator installed that drops to 13.4v once the battery is fully charged

I would also suggest their use isn't ideal with a compressor fridge either. AGM's are generally not good at being discharged deeply, which is what tends to happen with the big draw of a Compressor Fridge and then recharged fast.

Banner now list as a major disadvantage of their AGM batteries, that they don't Deep Cycle very well and this also applies to the Varta AGM's.

I assume the Solar regulator is AGM optimised?

I have never been able to find out what the CB516 charges the Starter battery at when it is set for an AGM battery. Does it charge the Starter battery with the same voltage as the AGM Leisures or is it at the correct 14.4v?

I would suggest you think about ditching the LA95 and buying two 100Ah Exide ET650's deep cycle wet/flooded batteries at about £140 ea from Alpha Batteries.

They will also work happily with a 14.4v standard alternator, etc. They won't last years with the hammering from a Compressor Fridge, but should give twice the life of an AGM.

Hi Allan,

Yet another fantastic response which helps me out immensely sir. I did read your conclusions on the poor state of the Swift charging system and its total inability to support AGM units but I seem to be in a much more fortunate position with our German van and its CBE equipped electronics.

We don't use the van as much as we would wish too but this will change beyond August this year when we'll start using it for off grid use only with very occasional 1-day visits to a site with EHU.

I'm going to try and check the alternator output today so that you have the fullest facts possible. That said, here are a few bits of info for you Allan:

1. The CBE PRS300BUS solar reg has an AGM setting © which charges at 14.7v and floats at 13.8v. It also has 2 x 150W inputs for solar.

2. The CB516-3 charges at 14.7v and float charges at 13.8v

3. I placed the van on EHU at 6pm yesterday and I've just checked the control panel and it's showing 13.0v for hab with a small light switched on, and 12.9v for the engine battery. These figures were taken 2-minutes after disconnecting the EHU

4. I've been told by other Globecar owners that the compressor fridge will use circa 48Ah per 24-hours.

5. I'll be able to check the engine battery charge voltage in a few hours but I think the CB516-3 charges the engine battery at circa 13.2v.

Questions:

1. Will the Exide ET650's charge at a faster rate than the AGMs while being charged on solar only.

2. I currently have 120w of solar so I'm assuming the addition of a second 120W panel will be a win-win.

3. Does the ET650 have a maximum of a 50% DOD before damage is incurred or does it have a different DOD figure.

I'll try and get an alternator charging voltage and Reg charging voltage for the battery.

Thanks Allan, you're a star ;-)

All the best,

Andrew

Robinhood - 2019-01-15 11:03 AM

Alpha were not one of the dealers I mentioned.

I bought here (for doubling-up):

https://www.gobatteries.co.uk/product/battery-types/leisure-batteries/la95-varta-dual-purpose-agm-leisure-battery-840095085/

....and though they show it in stock (and it was when I bought), a phone call wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks RH ;-) My local motor factors will do the LA95 for £200 and I believe Tanya is a couple of quid cheaper but phoning Alpha as I did yesterday was a tip-top experience. The sales guy seemed to really know his stuff which is always encouraging.

"Questions :

1. Will the Exide ET650's charge at a faster rate than the AGMs while being charged on solar only.

2. I currently have 120w of solar so I'm assuming the addition of a second 120W panel will be a win-win.

3. Does the ET650 have a maximum of a 50% DOD before damage is incurred or does it have a different DOD figure".

Bop, As below,

1. Unlikely there will be any difference between the two. The advantage of AGM is that they will try and 'suck' more power from the charging systems if it's available. However, if the charge rate available is only 8 amps from Solar, it won't be able to get the 16 amps it might have liked to draw, so both batteries will charge at roughly the same rate. Obviously that only applies if the AGM's are getting the higher voltage that drives the faster charge rate.. At a 'non-ideal' 14.4v Alternator charge AGM's will charge a fair bit slower than a Yuasa L36-EFB for example.

2. Yes and the extra solar power available would then be drawn by the AGM's for faster charging.

Note : if you want faster charging times on a 'budget', the Yuasa L36-EFB claim 1.7 times faster charging than conventional batteries. If you additionally charge the Yuasa L36-EFB at 14.7v (on an AGM setting) it will charge a whole lot faster again. Yuasa have recently confirmed that their max charge rate is 14.8v, so driving them at 14.7v should make quite a difference, without too much shortened life.

3. The ET650 is more tolerant of dropping to 80% DOD without actual 'damage', it is one of the true Deep Cycling batteries but you will lose about a third of the cycle life if you do it regularly. At a guess, you would achieve 250 cycles at 80% DOD as opposed to 350 cycles at 50% DOD. But that is only a guess.

I would be surprised if the LA95 used in the same way will deliver even 200 cycles? Very poor life unless charging conditions are perfect.

They love low temperature but hate anything above 25 degrees.

The CB516-3 should support one 90Ah AGM battery no problem. But I can't see it supporting 190Ah of AGM's for long, that is equivalant to 380Ah of wet batteries in loading terms.

aandncaravan - 2019-01-15 12:02 PM

Bop, As below,

1. Unlikely there will be any difference between the two. The advantage of AGM is that they will try and 'suck' more power from the charging systems if it's available. However, if the charge rate available is only 8 amps from Solar, it won't be able to get the 16 amps it might have liked to draw, so both batteries will charge at roughly the same rate. Obviously that only applies if the AGM's are getting the higher voltage that drives the faster charge rate.. At a 'non-ideal' 14.4v Alternator charge AGM's will charge a fair bit slower than a Yuasa L36-EFB for example.

2. Yes and the extra solar power available would then be drawn by the AGM's for faster charging.

Note : if you want faster charging times on a 'budget', the Yuasa L36-EFB claim 1.7 times faster charging than conventional batteries. If you additionally charge the Yuasa L36-EFB at 14.7v (on an AGM setting) it will charge a whole lot faster again. Yuasa have recently confirmed that their max charge rate is 14.8v, so driving them at 14.7v should make quite a difference, without too much shortened life.

3. The ET650 is more tolerant of dropping to 80% DOD without actual 'damage', it is one of the true Deep Cycling batteries but you will lose about a third of the cycle life if you do it regularly. At a guess, you would achieve 250 cycles at 80% DOD as opposed to 350 cycles at 50% DOD. But that is only a guess.

I would be surprised if the LA95 used in the same way will deliver even 200 cycles? Very poor life unless charging conditions are perfect.

They love low temperature but hate anything above 25 degrees.

The CB516-3 should support one 90Ah AGM battery no problem. But I can't see it supporting 190Ah of AGM's for long, that is equivalant to 380Ah of wet batteries in loading terms.

Hi Allan,

I've been out with the voltmeter so here goes:

1. My alternator runs at 14.4v.

2. The CB516-3 Charging Unit delivers 13.6v to the Starter Battery when the AGM 'Mode-C' is selected. (Note: should this be 14.4v as per your original post; if so I've done something wrong).

3. My control panel is a CBE PC220-HE and on the final page of the instructions it states that a max of 2A is used to charge the Starter Battery (B1). The CB system is programmed to charge the Hab Battery (B2) as the priority though.

My thoughts sir:

I'm still mindful of the compressor fridge and its huge power drain while off-grid so I've written the following notes to help my slow processing brain:

a. The Yuasa L36-EFB will give me a max of 100Ah @ 50%DOD but will significantly reduce the load on my Charger, while being able to charge at 1.7-times faster with my conventional alternator and even faster with AGM Mode-C selected. It costs £114 delivered after my 5% discount is applied.

b. The Exide ET650 will give me a max of 160Ah @ 80% DOD and this can only serve as a bonus with the compressor fridge and no EHU. It costs £133-delivered after my discount.

c. A question please: Will the Exide battery charge as quick as the Yuasa battery via my standard 14.4v alternator and does it work well on the AGM 14.7v setting too.....

.............so in theory the Exide ET650 would be the best for me.

Sorry for all of the questions Alan but this has been an immensely useful learning curve for me.

All the best,

Andrew

Bop - 2019-01-15 3:03 PM

aandncaravan - 2019-01-15 12:02 PM

Hi Allan,

I've been out with the voltmeter so here goes:

1. My alternator runs at 14.4v.

2. The CB516-3 Charging Unit delivers 13.6v to the Starter Battery when the AGM 'Mode-C' is selected. (Note: should this be 14.4v as per your original post; if so I've done something wrong).

3. My control panel is a CBE PC220-HE and on the final page of the instructions it states that a max of 2A is used to charge the Starter Battery (B1). The CB system is programmed to charge the Hab Battery (B2) as the priority though.

My thoughts sir:

I'm still mindful of the compressor fridge and its huge power drain while off-grid so I've written the following notes to help my slow processing brain:

a. The Yuasa L36-EFB will give me a max of 100Ah @ 50%DOD but will significantly reduce the load on my Charger, while being able to charge at 1.7-times faster with my conventional alternator and even faster with AGM Mode-C selected. It costs £114 delivered after my 5% discount is applied.

b. The Exide ET650 will give me a max of 160Ah @ 80% DOD and this can only serve as a bonus with the compressor fridge and no EHU. It costs £133-delivered after my discount.

c. A question please: Will the Exide battery charge as quick as the Yuasa battery via my standard 14.4v alternator and does it work well on the AGM 14.7v setting too.....

.............so in theory the Exide ET650 would be the best for me.

Sorry for all of the questions Alan but this has been an immensely useful learning curve for me.

All the best,

Andrew

Ok, So the Alternator is putting out a fixed 14.4v into the 14,7v AGM battery.

13.6v to the Starter battery is good, as it should only ever need to be 'trickle' charged so that is perfect.

I agree with 'a' and 'b'.

Question 'c' - "Will the Exide battery charge as quick as the Yuasa battery via my standard 14.4v alternator and does it work well on the AGM 14.7v setting too".

Sorry, but no and no. The Exide ET650 is a traditional battery, read that as old fashioned construction so slow charging. Note that this battery has screw caps to replace fluid loss during use.

We think it is a high antimony content battery. Antimony is very tough so resists deformation of the plate structure during deep discharges, but if the battery is continually charged, such as by Solar, it can suffer Antimony poisoning, see our Battery technology web page for an explanation.

It is also prone to Plate corrosion which can shorten it's life, especially if the voltage is raised beyond 14.4v. If you use the ET650 under absolutely ideal conditions it can deliver it's stated cycle life. But if it gets the typical use of spending some time discharged or long term charged by EHU/Solar when the battery is full, etc. it's life can be disappointing..

I am not 100% sure, but think the battery has similar construction to the Banner Energy Bull, also a high Antimony content battery that drinks like a fish. It also suffers premature failure and has had reports of high fluid loss, especially when long term charged.

So while the 'high technology' Varta LFD/Bosch L range tend to exceed their claimed cycle life, just as we expect the Yuasa L36-EFB to, we would expect the Exide ET650 not to reach it's potential unless given lots of the right TLC - Perfect charging scenarios, low temperature use, low current draw, etc.

There are rumours of a high technology version of the ET650 on the horizon that will use EFB technology but still be a Deep Cycler but not sure when it is due.

".............so in theory the Exide ET650 would be the best for me?".

Unlikely, there is more to batteries than pure cycle life. But if you live in Orkney and holiday in Iceland, only ever use one LED light, no TV and give the battery the perfect life, then maybe.

If I had a Compressor Fridge in the family it would be run from 2 x Yuasa L36-EFB's on 14.7v.

aandncaravan - 2019-01-15 3:57 PM

If I had a Compressor Fridge in the family it would be run from 2 x Yuasa L36-EFB's on 14.7v.

That's exactly what I'm going to do Allan. In my mind I was being drawn to the Yuasa and with it's ability to rapid charge so effectively; its great performance at 14.4 and 14.7v and its enduring characteristics then it really is a no brainer, plus, the idea of having a pair of slow charging Exide units strapped under a seat with no access is not ideal.

This whole exercise has been a great learning curve for me and I have to say now that you really are one of the stars of the motorhome world.

Very many thanks Allan,

All the best,

Andrew

Hi Allan, I've just ordered the 2 x L36-EFBs from Alpha so I'll have something to fit in the coming days.

That said, I'm also going to keep the AGM LA95 (as it's still new) but I intend to use it as a standalone battery to support the Avtex TV (3Ah) and a couple of well positioned LED lights. This will help further reduce the demands on the Hab power.

If we watch TV for 2-3 hours per night while off-grid then in theory the LA95 will last for a good while as a standalone unit before requiring a charge.

Since this will be a standalone battery then which plug-in mains charger would you recommend I buy for the LA95.

Thanks agin,

All the best,

Andrew

There are not many AGM optimised chargers around, Victron do them but they tend to be expensive.

Because you already have CBE kit I would suggest you get a CB516 or CB520.

Grasshopper are good for CBE, see our 'Wiring you own Camper' web page for more info.

Maybe swap the CB520 to the new Yuasa's and let the CB516-3 look after the single AGM? It might save money to buy the 'old stock' CB520 if it doesn't need to be a later 520-3 AGM version?

If you want to provide limited charging for the AGM battery via alternator

Then see part way down the 'Wiring your Camper' page for a very special '2 part VSR' that is only £25 that will do the trick.

Remember this is only a limited solution and the AGM may still have a short life, but the 2 part VSR has the option for a switch to disconnect the alternator so it doesn't over charge at 14.4v when it wants no more than a 13.6v float rate.

As for me being a Star, it has taken me ages to type the above because the Piriton and 4 drug cocktail of chemo yesterday has zapped my brain more than a bit..

After chemo I struggle to do more than hold back the sickness, all that I feel able to do is watch tv or 'forum'.

The forum taxes my brain and helps keep me going I think it has been key in helping me battle.

Along with all the 'best wishes', kind words and prayers it has literally been a life extender.

It has contributed far more to my life than I have to it.

It is not me who is the star but this forum, along with all the lovely people in it.

Hi Allan,

It just so happens that I spent the entire evening yesterday on your website and I have to say that it was quite addictive.

One thing that did catch my attention was the use of the CTEK US Racing 1060 which seems like a great bit of kit for use as a mains plug & play charger for the LA95.

Also, you will be pleased to know that my 2 x L36-EFBs arrived today; I ordered them at 2pm yesterday and they arrived just after 12 this afternoon.

I did phone Alpha today to check if I needed to vent the batteries (I do) but what is clear about dealing with Alpha is that their employees are just like you, i.e. fully supportive and always willing to help.

Like many of the forum members I can't even imagine what you're going through but what I can say is that we are all chuffed to have you on our team. You're our star striker sir.

I wish you all the best for the near future.

Take care and thanks for the fantatsic support B-)

Andrew

Allan,

All fitted now albeit I still need to add the vents which will be done tomorrow. Both batteries were delivered with a matched voltage of 12.55v.

The one thing that I do find odd is that the NCC has added its badge to the battery which states:

""NCC Verified Leisure Battery Class-B: Intended Purpose - For use with electrical hook-up with minimal off-grid habitation usage, e.g. Lights, TV plus motor movers"".

I find it quite strange that a highly capable battery such as the L36-EFB has been given a duff label by the NCC.

All the best,

Andrew

Bop - 2019-01-18 7:30 PM

Allan,

The one thing that I do find odd is that the NCC has added its badge to the battery which states:

""NCC Verified Leisure Battery Class-B: Intended Purpose - For use with electrical hook-up with minimal off-grid habitation usage, e.g. Lights, TV plus motor movers"".

I find it quite strange that a highly capable battery such as the L36-EFB has been given a duff label by the NCC.

All the best,

Andrew

It is a bit odd that two of the best batteries around get put in the 'B' category.

But then again when the NCC started the scheme the legendary Exide G80 got placed in the bottom category.

For some reason the NCC think it is ll about 'Storage Capacity', and batteries are rated on size/capacity, not cyclic ability or other qualities

Have a read -

"Category A is for batteries with a higher storage capacity for people who frequently use their touring caravan or motorhome away from an electrical hook-up:

• Category B batteries are aimed at those who frequently use sites with hook-up facilities, but require a greater battery capacity to operate devices such as motor movers:

• Category C batteries are for users that require a lower capacity battery to cover basic operation of their habitation equipment for short periods away from an electrical hook-up"

And yet a battery of 91Ah can be found in Cat 'A' and a battery of 115Ah be found in the bottom 'C' category.

https://www.thencc.org.uk/our_schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.aspx

Clearly the NCC know what they are doing, but I always thought the best way to extra capacity was to put in another battery?

Given that Halfords have a "partnership" with Yuasa, and the NCC describe some of their batteries as "Yuasa Halfords", it would be interesting to know if the Halfords HLB700 and HLB800 are in fact the same (but badge engineered) batteries as the Yuasa equivalents, L36-EFB and L36-AGM respectively.

In each case, same appearance, same dimensions and same specifications, but generally cheaper than the best price attainable for the pure Yuasa brand.

(Edit:Halfords numbers where HBL. Keithl)

Robinhood - 2019-01-19 3:03 PM

Given that Halfords have a "partnership" with Yuasa, and the NCC describe some of their batteries as "Yuasa Halfords", it would be interesting to know if the Halfords HLB700 and HLB800 are in fact the same (but badge engineered) batteries as the Yuasa equivalents, L36-EFB and L36-AGM respectively.

In each case, same appearance, same dimensions and same specifications, but generally cheaper than the best price attainable for the pure Yuasa brand.

Varta L36-EFB from Tayna is £110 + £10 delivery or same price from Alpha.

Halford HLB700 is £105 (but delivery not available) or if you can find someone with a trade card only £84 !!!

And the HLB800 drops from £145 to £116 with a trade card!

Keith.

Some really interesting points about the Yuasa-Halford colabaration. I knew nothing about that so I wonder if you are buying a Yuasa when you pick up a Halfords battery.

For info guys: My Yuasa L36-EFBs were £114 each (delivered) from Alpha Batteries once you input the voucher code, i.e the word. FACEBOOK

Regards,

Andrew

aandncaravan - 2019-01-19 2:27 PM

It is a bit odd that two of the best batteries around get put in the 'B' category.

But then again when the NCC started the scheme the legendary Exide G80 got placed in the bottom category.

For some reason the NCC think it is ll about 'Storage Capacity', and batteries are rated on size/capacity, not cyclic ability or other qualities

Have a read -

"Category A is for batteries with a higher storage capacity for people who frequently use their touring caravan or motorhome away from an electrical hook-up:

• Category B batteries are aimed at those who frequently use sites with hook-up facilities, but require a greater battery capacity to operate devices such as motor movers:

• Category C batteries are for users that require a lower capacity battery to cover basic operation of their habitation equipment for short periods away from an electrical hook-up"

And yet a battery of 91Ah can be found in Cat 'A' and a battery of 115Ah be found in the bottom 'C' category.

https://www.thencc.org.uk/our_schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.aspx

Clearly the NCC know what they are doing, but I always thought the best way to extra capacity was to put in another battery?

I'm just a novice when it comes to the topic of batteries but the whole NCC system seems a bit wonky to me.

Thanks for the info Allan.

All the best,

Andrew

Robinhood - 2019-01-19 3:03 PM

When we were at the Yuasa plant last year they talked, very proudly, about the new contract with Halfords.

Previously Halfords had 'insisted' on 'their' batteries being a lower cost option, and therefore inferior, to the usual manufacturer provided product under a contract.

But Halfords allegedly had so many returns that it wasn't cost effective to think that way in this day and age, so changed tack.

Yuasa claimed they are providing only top range products under the new contract, not a re-badged lower spec alternative, as other manufacturers had in the past.

So yes as stated previously in other threads, the HLB700 is the same as a L36-EFB, however when we looked last year Halfords were offering a year or two less warranty and no delivery option.

Don't forget that Alpha Batteries may offer a small discount if you mention us. It is only a small discount, designed to allow them to monitor support for ethical practises and their new website's extra information which allows a buyer to make their own, informed decisions on buying batteries.

If you collect a battery from them they will also give further discount.

Interesting stuff but nevertheless an expensive mistake for me as in theory I could have saved a further £60 on my already discounted order (5%).

Still, that said, I've learnt a whole load about batteries in the process.

Regards,

Andrew

Archived