Vat free Motorhomes - Mobility?

Colin Leake

Guest Tracker
Yes - I did in 2004 when my wife was wheel chair bound. I had some problems finding a dealer conversant with the application of the rules and helpful enough to make it work but once that hurdle was overcome it worked very well. I had to have wheelchair ramps fitted to comply with VAT free status but they were all included in the deal. When no longer needed I removed the ramp and fitting and sold the van on as normal with no issues as there is no restriction on vehicle disposal.

Hi Colin

Like Tracker, I have now bought 2 M/H's VAT EXEMPT (not VAT Free) for disabled use.

Applicable for new M/H's

All of the main stream dealers should be fully aware of the requirements.

The Motorhome must be adapted for Disabled use. This can be as little as a swivel cab seat & a step fixed for the habitation entrance or through to major modifications / adaptions. If you/your partner receive DLA &/or Mobility Allowance you should have a statement from DWP that will normally suffice as proof of entitlement.

VAT Exemption is applied to the whole cost of the M/H including any options ordered but not disabled specific. (i.e. Awning, upgrade packs, etc..)

Note that any disabled adaptions need to be ordered & fitted before taking delivery as there is often confusion regarding VAT exemption on retrofitted items.

See this website for full details http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000128

There have been some comments in various publications that VAT Exemption can be obtained on 2nd hand M/H's from late last year, but I have no experience regarding this and can't verify if it is correct or not.

It would be worthwhile contacting HMRC if this is your proposed route.

Good luck

Hi Colin,

We did for the children obviously only in one childs name .

Silly rules they apply we had to have it adapted we didnt need it adapted at 10 she was the size of a small 5 year old we carry her we certainly didnt need a ramp we didnt need anything adapted so we slightly argued the toss about the stupid rules .

She is 14 now and although getting bigger we still carry her in and put her in her seat still the people who make the rules they always know best ,so we ended up with a D ring on the door again really silly because for us the sad shame is she has no inclination of what it is and even if she did she cant walk ...let alone reach out for it as an aid .

still not a bad security deterant . so it comes in handy for something

we find it gets in the way but if it helps the govnerment to decide how much of a disabilty a person has good luck to them.

Hi Colin,

We have been down this route and found it to be relatively straightforward. As others have said, the vehicle becomes exempt not just for initial purchase but also for servicing and consumables. The HMRC website gives you all of the information that you require and IIRC some declaration templates.

Our supplier (Devon) also requested a GP letter confirming my wife's condition and we provided a letter from her MS nurse.

Depending on your situation you may also wish to consider changing the vehicle taxation class to "disabled" which gives you exemption from the RFL fee although of course you must still display the licence. There are some usage restrictions if you do this however.

Regards

We bought our motorhome VAT exempt without any problems. It depends on the dealer as to how aggressive they are about the adaptions. Wheelchair clamps were likely to be a trip hazard for me but some dealers insist on them as they apparently have been prosecuted for not checking properly. However clamps can be fitted inside the garage, if you have one. According to the Vat office there is a list of suitable adaptions but if the dealer is reluctant it could be worth checking with your local office. I needed swivel seats, a handle to assist with getting in the van and a steering wheel knob. Unfortunately our dealer is no longer trading otherwise would have definitely recommended them.

As others have said you also do not have to pay the Vat on the servicing or for tyres etc but it was really difficult getting the servicing dealer to accept that. It was only when I threatened to write to the Motorhome magazines that they changed their mind.

I cant see why dealers are insisting that wheel clamps are needed. You only need clamp runners fitted if a wheel chair is to be used for travelling in. Runners are flush with the floor so do not cause a trip hazard. I worked for an organization that had in the region of 20 vehicles for disabled people, all sorts of adaptions were used, and all the vehicles were road fund free.

• 4 weeks later...
I had motorhome adapted with ramps and grab handle. filled in exemption cert, also a letter from dr both was accepted by the company but have i been refused vat exemption dont know why,the company will not talk to us about it.This is not my first van so i can not understand why. I am in a wheelchair and have been for the last 10 yrs :-(

solero4 - 2010-02-26 10:10 PM

I had motorhome adapted with ramps and grab handle. filled in exemption cert, also a letter from dr both was accepted by the company but have i been refused vat exemption dont know why,the company will not talk to us about it.This is not my first van so i can not understand why. I am in a wheelchair and have been for the last 10 yrs :-(

Hi Solero

I am not sure if you have purchased your M/H ?

I guess if you are a wheelchair user, you qualify for either DLA or Mobility Allowance. If so, you should have a statement from the DWP stating your benefits and that should suffice for your dealership to complete the VAT exemption procedure.

If your dealer still wil not apply the VAT exemption take your business to a knowledgable dealer. That said the majority of dealers i have spoken to are aware of the requirements. In most cases having seen my wife in her wheelchair, they have come forward and asked if we were aware that we would qualify.

If you have purchased the Van, I suggest you approach HMR&C to determine your position to see if there is any way you can get the VAT element back retrospectively.

Archived