Video whilst driving

AJ46

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Chinese cheapy that has proved to be excellent with a 3 hour rolling recording facility in not quite HD. If buying from E-Bay get a UK supplier as if it doesn't live up to the description you can return for a full refund, there are many manufacturers in China using the same case so you wont know how good it is until you try it.. I must admit I'm starting to suffer from information overload in the cab, I have a twin camera rear view/reversing monitor , TomTom and the front facing camera all going at the same time. I've positioned the front camera behind the rear view camera now, once I check it's working I forget about it. I do save clips on the computer occasionally to bore friends showing notable sections of our travels.

pepe63 - 2015-02-13 11:02 AM

Brace yourself.... :-S

(..but all ends well in the end).

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=781852071874435

..you never know what's around the corner..

Is it just me, but in this video I would say the driver was going far too fast. I know the little girl was to blame but the driver was not exactly crawling as he approached the blind junction. On a campsite always expect the unexpected and drive no more than walking pace unless in a clear open area...that was not, so he should have driven at walking pace maximum. The driver also made no attempt to stop immediately when the girl on bike appears, he should have stopped sooner if he had been paying attention. Am I alone thinking this? I know the girl is primarily to blame but if the driver had been more careful then this accident could have been avoided or at least been a much slower impact.

Brambles - 2015-02-14 1:18 AM

Is it just me, but in this video I would say the driver was going far too fast. I know the little girl was to blame but the driver was not exactly crawling as he approached the blind junction. On a campsite always expect the unexpected and drive no more than walking pace unless in a clear open area...that was not, so he should have driven at walking pace maximum. The driver also made no attempt to stop immediately when the girl on bike appears, he should have stopped sooner if he had been paying attention. Am I alone thinking this? I know the girl is primarily to blame but if the driver had been more careful then this accident could have been avoided or at least been a much slower impact.

I agree. The speed was by no means outrageous, but it looks like it was above 5mph. Good illustration of how quickly things can go wrong.

And the car didn't come to a halt until some time after the impact, so the car actually pushed the child and bike backwards from the point of impact.

Amazing how informative these dash cameras can be - and that they've got all hat technology in developing countries like Oz! *-)

Useful lesson for the child though, and I hope she didn't so much sympathy that she was prevented from learning it.

Brambles - 2015-02-14 1:18 AM

pepe63 - 2015-02-13 11:02 AM

Brace yourself.... :-S

(..but all ends well in the end).

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=781852071874435

..you never know what's around the corner..

Is it just me, but in this video I would say the driver was going far too fast. I know the little girl was to blame but the driver was not exactly crawling as he approached the blind junction....

The driver also made no attempt to stop immediately when the girl on bike appears, he should have stopped sooner if he had been paying attention. Am I alone thinking this? .

Agree..

And it didn't appear as if they were slowing down for that lined-junction anyway... :-S

(..the corner section of that hedge does need cropping down though!)

I must be missing something here, the child was quite clearly on the wrong side of the road, even if the car had of been at walking pace as it neared that corner or even stationary the child would have crashed into the car.

Joe90 - 2015-02-14 12:02 PM

I must be missing something here, the child was quite clearly on the wrong side of the road, even if the car had of been at walking pace as it neared that corner or even stationary the child would have crashed into the car.

Agreed.

If the car was at a standstill I reckon the girl would still have hit it.

Be a good idea to cut back that hedge.

I haven't seen anyone on here say that the little girls wasn't on the wrong side of the road..?...and yes, even if stationary, she would've probably still hit the vehicle....

..but watch it again and that vehicle didn't even appear to be easing up much for that for that blind junction..and as Brambles said, it didn't even anchor up when the kiddy appeared around the corner(nor when she initially hit the bonnet)..

Six o' one, half a dozen o' the other, as they say. :-S

I suggest we're talking shades of grey of interpretation here, rather than anyone saying the driver the driver was seriously culpable or the liittle girl was blameless. If anyone is looking to wag the big finger at someone wouldn't it be the site owner, for growing that big hedge so close to a roadway crossing point?

Thanks for your input so far, but all I wanted to find out was ideas of what I should look out for when buying an on board camera that would be easy to install/use etc in order to protect myself against other bad drivers and provide reliable evidence.

AJ46 - 2015-02-14 2:14 PM

Thanks for your input so far, but all I wanted to find out was ideas of what I should look out for when buying an on board camera that would be easy to install/use etc in order to protect myself against other bad drivers and provide reliable evidence.

You should have said that in the first place, high definition (HD) , preferably 1080 , as wide an angle lens as possible, mine is 120 degrees but 140 is better, 170 best, at least 32gb mini sd card capacity. and night time cabability, IR 'lights' around the lens. There are MANY on the market and at a wide degree of cost.

More expensive does not always mean 'better'. But don't buy from E-bay (IMO) as it is harder to get a refund if it arrives 'Dud' or breaks soon after. better to get from Amazon or another UK trader, most of these come from China (doesn't everything ?) But no way do you want to be sending it back there for warranty claims/repair. make it someone you can Phone up or take it to.

Ray

Think that they (Dash Cams) are rapidly becoming a 'must have' with all the Albanian/Romanian 'Crash for cash' jockeys about.

StuartO - 2015-02-14 1:29 PM

I suggest we're talking shades of grey of interpretation here, rather than anyone saying the driver the driver was seriously culpable or the liittle girl was blameless. If anyone is looking to wag the big finger at someone wouldn't it be the site owner, for growing that big hedge so close to a roadway crossing point?

But, that is part of the point. Dash cams are a double-edged sword. They reveal the deficiencies of the owner's driving as well as that of others.

At least the girl had a crash helmet - although the injury seems to have been to her groin.

But, kids on bikes do silly things on campsite roads while their parents seem to switch off.

The vehicle driver seems not to have noticed he doesn't have priority at the junction. Possibly looking for his alotted, or a vacant, pitch?

Wonder who decided to release the video clip? Surely not the driver in self defence?

But I imagine his car bore the scars, so maybe natural justice? :-)

A dash camera serves to provide a factual record (not necessarily a complete on) but even then there may be considerabe scope for argument about interpretation of the facts as well as allocation and apportionment of blame - as on this thread.

Clearly dash cams can also work against the interests of the driver/camera owner. They support you only if they show you to have driven well.

Guest Had Enough

And the latest comments highlight the advantage of a decent one such as mine, which is the size of a packet of Polo mints.

http://www.blackvue.eu/Blackvue_DR500G_HD_WIFI.php

It sits discreetly behind the rear view mirror and most people never notice it, so if you think that there's a chance that the video will hinder your case, you simply don't mention that you have a dashcam.

That's bit difficult if you have one of these big cheapies with a screen hanging below it, they can't be missed.

Just as you're allowed to keep silent if accused of a crime you needn't mention that you have a recording of it. If however, the video shows that you are definitely responsible, the correct thing to do is to own up. But many things aren't cut and dried.

Hawcara

If you go for the Trancend I suggest you go for the optional suction mount. The unit can then be move from one vehicle to another.

The 200 version comes with a 16gb micro card, has 160 degree vision and a two year warranty. There is no internal battery. quality of image is very good. The crash setting is too sensitive IMO.

It is shown as best buy on Amazon and has good reviews.

I personally cannot see why the mainstream camera manufacturers haven't entered the market, although not ideal I sometimes mount my camera on the dashboard with a mini tripod, it will then "film" for 30 minutes in full HD glory with a very wide angle of view, the only thing I've caught of any note though was a Deer suddenly leaping out of a dense forest, ;-)

Archived