Waste water

Keith G

Hi All

I am new to the website and forum but would welcome any advice/help.

I have a 1996 Peugeot Boxer Exec motorhome and am having problems with a leak on the grey waste.

The problem appears to lie with the bathroom sink waste, as it is emptied, water pours out from under the van. There is little scope for access to the hoses and finding the cause is driving me nuts. Any advice please? *-)

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Keith.

As (presumably) the leakage only occurs when water is drained from the the bathroom washbasin, it’s reasonable to assume that the problem lies with the drain-hose leading from the washbasin to the waste-water tank, or with the connection between that hose and the tank.

I owned a 1996-built Herald motorhome and the ‘caravan style’ flexible plastic waste-water drain-hoses were pretty flimsy. I suspect Auto-Sleepers will have used the same type of hose on your Executive so, after 20 years, it would hardly be surprising if one of the hoses has degraded. The hose may have split or, as sshortcircuit suggests, may have become detached from where it connects to the waste-tank.

With the Herald, inspecting the waste-hose to waste-tank connections and replacing a waste-hose meant removing the waste-tank from the motorhome. Even if you can find a way to identify the cause of the leak without removing your Executive’s tank, there’s a good chance you’ll need to lower the tank to fix the problem.

Thanks for the responses and yes I have looked under the van and all connections are fine including the waste water tank, but since my initial posting, the problem is the pipe carrying the waste from the tip-up basin in the bathroom.

The issue now seems how to remove the basin and gain access to the pipe and replace it.

Any ideas as I am filled with trepidation if I have to dismantle the bathroom?

Keith G - 2016-06-01 8:25 AM..... the problem is the pipe carrying the waste from the tip-up basin in the bathroom.The issue now seems how to remove the basin and gain access to the pipe and replace it.Any ideas as I am filled with trepidation if I have to dismantle the bathroom?

I had a similar problem with my MH; a length of pipe which flexes as the sink swungs around was it was split where it had been repeatedly bent.  It took a bit of thought working out how to get access because the pipe took a turn inside a void behind the shower wall, which I had to open up.  At build time the installers would probably have had much more open access and the plumbing might have been done before the furniture was in place.  You don't need access to the whole length of the pipe of course because you can use the existing pipe to pull a new section into place by joining the ends together.

A good place to start would be the drain fitting at the sink, which is bound to be dismantlable one way or another.  Then look for the place where the pipe attaches to the tank or to another length of different pipe, as mine did.  In my case this was inside the toilet cassette compartment.

These spiral bound drain pipes come in standard sizes (mine was 20mm) and fit together using nylon connector sleeves, which in my case also fitted on to a tank spigot.  They are a push fit and disconnect by simply twisting off.  With luck you will be able to slide a new section of pipe through and remake the joints.

Mine is a German MH and I was in France at the time but I was able to buy a metre of hose of the right size at an ordinary caravan accessory shop.  They also stocked a range of connector sleeves, although all I needed to replace was the pipe.   It's possible that your British MH used non-metric sizes and a different connection system and may be there is a knack to replacing this length of tube on your British MH and paying a dealer to do in his workshop what might be a quick and easy job when you know how could be worthwhile.  Good luck.

Archived