Water Filler Cap

Grumpyman

Does anyone have trouble removing their water filler cap from a Autotrail "V" Line or is it just me?. Push it in and turn it and sometimes comes out first time other times takes quite a few attempts. Thinking of changing it if possible for a different fitting such as Fiamma. any idea's welcome.

Grumpyman - 2021-03-03 10:25 AM

Does anyone have trouble removing their water filler cap from a Autotrail "V" Line or is it just me?.

Used to be a common complaint with all vans and the most recommended fix was to put the cap in boiling water. Mine is very stiff and I just spray it with silicon grease never had any contamination

lancepar - 2021-03-03 11:57 AM

On my MoHo I found where the cap fits was on to a small collar pushed on or once glued to the spout and would turn with the filler cap which made it a hit and miss removal, can't remember how I fixed it though.

B-)

I also had that issue. The fix was to remove the collar, apply a little Threadlock to the outside of the collar where it enters the pipe and then reinsert.

BruceM - 2021-03-03 12:20 PM

I’ve not heard that one before. Any idea how it’s meant to work?

No idea what it did but it worked for me several times not a permeant fix but got fed up with the hassel so spray it every so often now

A GOOGLE-search using "caravan water filler cap boiling water” as the search term will show that ‘boiling’ has been regularly suggested when there are problems with a locking cap. The 2nd posting of this 2007 O&AL forum thread mentions the boiling water ploy, warning (as witzend has done) that its curative effect may not be permanent.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Water-tank-cap-/8734/31/

(Interesting that in 2021 some of the argumentative participants on that thread are still participating here (under different usernames) and are still arguing. ;-) )

This link

https://picclick.co.uk/caravan-water-filler-cap-133631590454.html

shows that motorhome/caravan locking fresh-water filler caps are made by several manufacturers (FAP, ZADI, Fiamma etc.) and in various desgns. The caps normally connect to the filling-point (that, of course, has to be suitable for the particular cap being connected to it) using a type of ‘bayonet’ fitting and the cap is normally sprung to prevent it leaking.

I’m doubtful that it would be possible to source a locking water filling-point/filler cap where the cap could be removed effortlessly merely by turning its key (as David (Grumpyman) is thinking of getting). All the bayonet-type filler caps I’ve come across have needed a degree of effort to undo.

This July 2020 thread may be worth reading

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Replacing-water-filler-Elddis-Autoquest-115/55682/

Archived