Water filling hose

hallii

The time has come to replace my old green garden hose, it has gone stiff and has kinks.

I have seen yellow rubber hose in use in France but it seems to be unavailable here. There is blue food grade PVC available but I wonder if food grade is strictly necessary ? After all, the water is only in contact with the hose for the brief period it takes for it to come out the other end so plasticisers have little chance of leaching out.

What do you think? Cheapo green garden hose or more expensive blue?

H

Whatever you fancy.

We have blue, as we got it for good price, was just the size we wanted, and had plastic 'Funnel' adaptor which works everywhere.

Interesting to note that with the blue which is transparent you can see the mould that forms to inside.

Food grade for us. Always has been for over 25 problem free years so why would I change? Less worried about the plasticisers than the interior surface of the hose which can encourage micro-bugs to prosper.

Nobody has been killed by using a garden hose to fill their tank as far as I know and the chance of getting an infection is almost negligible but slightly increased if you suffer from stomach problems - according to my sister who is a biologist. She says there are plenty of other ways you can get a water born bug.

We drink cheapo water direct from the tank rather than buy expensive bottled water.

What has been said before.....plain old garden hose (new of course and not left with water to 'fester' in it)to do main fill up then watering can (new ....plastic)to do the top up if necessary.  If space is at a premium then use lay flat hose.

colin - 2016-10-23 11:25 AM

Whatever you fancy.

We have blue, as we got it for good price, was just the size we wanted, and had plastic 'Funnel' adaptor which works everywhere.

Interesting to note that with the blue which is transparent you can see the mould that forms to inside.

I know, nasty isnt it ? I sterilise my hose at the same time as i do my fresh water tank, Pureclean, and warm water left overnight, then rinsed out. Worth the hassle.

We do not use the water in the tank for drinking at all. We get a gallon bottle of water from a supermarket and when it is empty just refill it from the tap.I do admit that when we have forgotten to get one, muggins gets sent to the tap with the kettle. In Europe we tend to always use bottled water anyway as it is pennies to buy.

I used yellow Hoselock garden hose for years and it didn't kill us until one of my weight-saving purges when I had come across, at a Show, a purpose made triple bore blue "food grade" hose on a reel which is lighter and works better.  (By triple bore I mean there are three separate tubes moulded together as a side-by-side set.  It doesn't collapse when reeled up.)

I also finally overcame Lancashire Thrift and bought one of those hose-fitting filler caps so I now put the reel on a little drinks table next to the MH filler, connect the end of the hose at the centre of the reel (which is long enough to reach the MH filler cap fitting) and draw enough hose out to reach the tap.  Turn on the water and leave if it to do the job.  Eventually it overflows from the MH filler and we're finished.

This probably sounds laborious but it's actually far easier than using the garden hose reel which I used to use.

When we started out I got a food grade hose, withing weeks it had something growing inside it, so I binned it and go a normal hose pipe, I run water through it for a minute or so, fill tank then drain the hose, roll it up and use a connector to join the ends.

We drinking from tank, I was in the bottled water camp, refilled of course, but our last van had a whale filter in it, best water I've ever had TBH, so I'll be getting another one once I've got this tank all cleaned out and freshened up.

Plastic 5 Lt water container with its own funnel, works for us as we don't carry much water in the tank. Have a few plastic clear ex fruit juice bottles on board for drinking water and we can clean these easy or just replace with a new one when we have drunk the juice.

We use a camping 10 litre container for drinking water and fill the onboard tank using the same container and a funnel at the side of the van.

This has a benefit of knowing fairly accurately the amount of water in the van and heating system. The Hymer water guage only measures to a resolution of a quarter tank.so not very accurate.

I have used a food quality small four bore plastic pipe but was slow to fill and now has a nice black lining instead of being clear, so not so keen to use it now as it would be a fiddle to sterilise.

Tap water will keep for a considerable time(weeks) if held in a food quality flexible dark container excluding the air.

Well, I bought a yellow hose with a black stripe on it, looks smart, and it's "anti kink". Lets see if it lasts for the full 12 years guarantee :-D

Thanks for your input people, I decided food grade is not that important. I speak as a man who brewed beer in a grey plastic dustbin for years!

H

Archived