You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
What do I need to display on the rear of my van when carrying something on the bike rack
AuthorMessage
userFrank Beevers
Posted: 8 June 2015 4:01 PM
Subject: What do I need to display on the rear of my van when carrying something on the bike rack

Having a look around

I am touring Ireland and want to carry an aqua roll on the bike rack. I have a square red and white warning sign with four reflectors does this cover the league requirements in Europe ?
usergocro
Posted: 8 June 2015 4:15 PM
Subject: RE: What do I need to display on the rear of my van when carrying something on the bike rack

Pillar of the forums

All but Italy I think, where they want you to display a fully reflective warning sign, not just in the four corners.
userFrank Beevers
Posted: 8 June 2015 7:49 PM
Subject: RE: What do I need to display on the rear of my van when carrying something on the bike rack

Having a look around

Thank you, I should be ok in Ireland then.
userlennyhb
Posted: 8 June 2015 8:46 PM

Lord of the posts

Do make sure you fit the sign the correct way round for the country you are in, the the diagonal lines should face downwards towards the offside off the vehicle. Most people appear to be ignorant of this and fit them the wrong way round in the UK (& Ireland).
userstarvin marvin
Posted: 8 June 2015 9:24 PM

Forum master

gocro - 2015-06-08 4:15 PM

All but Italy I think, where they want you to display a fully reflective warning sign, not just in the four corners.

....and in aluminium , not plastic.
usermanxli
Posted: 8 June 2015 9:51 PM

Pops in from time to time

Hi

I checked up on this just recently before a planned trip over the border to Italy. The legal sign required for Italy is a specific type and measurement and I ordered mine here (http://www.fritz-berger.de/product/Aluminium-Warntafel/116530)

For Spain it has different dimensions and stripes. Although, it would probably only be a problem with a 'jobs worth' policeman, I was warned to make sure I got the correct type for either Spain or Italy.

This is the Spanish one for comparison http://www.fritz-berger.de/fbergerstorefront/product/AluminiumWarntafelSpanien734665

Alan
Switzerland
userWirralian
Posted: 8 June 2015 9:51 PM

Gets involved

Thanks Lenny for that info. I have been displaying.the legal warning square to my bike rack for years without being aware of which way the diagonal red and white stripes should be!

John
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 9 June 2015 7:12 AM

lennyhb - 2015-06-08 8:46 PM

Do make sure you fit the sign the correct way round for the country you are in, the the diagonal lines should face downwards towards the offside off the vehicle. Most people appear to be ignorant of this and fit them the wrong way round in the UK (& Ireland).

Correct orientation of the sign-board has come up before on this forum and is mentioned here

http://www.outdoorbits.com/fiamma-plastic-signal-sign-p-162.html

Do you know, please, which EU regulation prescribes that a sign’s ‘diagonals’ must face downwards towards the offside of the vehicle, please?

It’s evident from the above link that if the Fiamma sign were mounted on a vehicle with the “Fiamma” brand-name at the bottom (as one might logically anticipate mounting it) offside-rule-wise it would be OK for Continental European driving. But for legal UK driving-on-the-left the sign would apparently need to be rotated 90 degrees to the position displayed in the link.

(I’m not suggesting that what seems to be received wisdom about the sign’s orientation is incorrect - I’m just interested in what the wisdom is based on.)
userpepe63
Posted: 9 June 2015 8:24 AM

In countries where they aren't a legal requirement, would the powers that be then stipulate which way they were mounted?....

It's true that fixed(to the body)HGV marker boards have to orientated correctly ( upwards, toward the centre of the vehicle)..but, judging by images of the red and white "long load" warning triangles, they always seem to have their diagonals pointing UP towards the offside...?
eg:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/312280/the-highway-code-vehicle-markings.pdf

So, in the UK, the direction of diagonals, doesn't seem consistent anyway...

So as long as these boards are *orientated correctly for the countries they are required, does it matter?....
(*What ever that may be?... Discuss.. )

Edited by pepe63 2015-06-09 8:36 AM
userderek500
Posted: 9 June 2015 4:36 PM

Epic contributor

Went to Italy last October, contacted the tourist office about this issue (after reading the usual mixed opinions) and they had no idea and suggested I contact the Caravan Club!!

Anyway, went with the bog standard Fiamma plastic one with the four reflectors.

No problems at all (we passed and were overtaken by several Italian police vehicles) and whilst there took note of what others, expecially Italians did.

Some had the plastic, some the metal and some nothing. The motorhome dealer near Perugia who refitted our Fiamma bike rack, only sold the plastic version.

Stripes were facing both offside and nearside.
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator