What do you wish you'd known before your first trip?

Clintswife

Hi everyone.

My husband & I have just bought our first ever MH. We've never even stayed in a static caravan before. Totally in at the deep end. What I would like to know is what are the things that you wished you'd known before you set out for the first time? The things that the guide books never tell you. The simplest of things that you picked up along the way or through your years of experience. I'm excitedly reading all the hints & tips posted. We pick up our new MH in 2 weeks and I can't bear the wait! Hello to you all and thank you in advance. Hope I get to meet some of you in our future travels.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Sharon.

When we bought our first motorhome in 1998 we had no prior experience of caravanning/motorcaravanning, though we had ‘tented’ together a couple of times and I had driven largish vehicles in the past. However, it had taken a couple of years between thinking we might buy a motorhome and actually purchasing one and during that time I had read lots of motorhome magazines and books so I was reasonably well versed in what would be involved on our first trip.

The following Caravan Club article provides a useful ‘first steps’ guide

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/12427059/you___your_motorhome.pdf

and I strongly advise you to obtain this book

http://tinyurl.com/mvf8ssr

My wife takes the attitude that anything ‘technical’ about motorcaravanning and our motorhome is nothing to do with her and, if anything goes wrong, it’s up to me to sort it out. (She tells me it was a footnote to our wedding vows, though I don’t remember that being the case.) You have a fortnight before taking delivery of your motorhome, so if you want to tell your husband that it’s his responsibility to educate himself about motorcaravanning within the next two weeks, there’s a precedent.

Sticking with those more relevant to motorhoming in the current environment:

1. Weights, payload, licence entitlement - the importance of understanding these and the impact they have on motorhoming.

2. Emptying the cassette toilet clears the nostrils. It proves the link between ammonia and urine [urea].

3. A motorhome is not a car and needs to be driven with this in mind to ensure you are in full control [defensive driving techniques], don't hit street furniture [watch the overhang through your wing mirrors when turning], or worse, when you corner, and positioning at junctions to see what is coming either way [depends on how much you can see normally].

Brock - 2017-05-19 4:52 PM

Sticking with those more relevant to motorhoming in the current environment:

1. Weights, payload, licence entitlement - the importance of understanding these and the impact they have on motorhoming.

Totally agree!!!

What MH are you getting and do you know the MTPLM (or GVW) of it and then, if over 3,500 kg, do you have a Class C1 driving licence?

Second do you know the payload allowance of your new MH and do you think you can work safely at or below the MTPLM?

Search 'Payload' on the forum and you will come up with several recent threads on the subject.

If in doubt on any point come back and ask.

PS And Welcome to the forum :-)

We are really a friendly crowd :D

Keith.

Wow! Great start. Thank you all so much. We've bought a Swift Rio 340 and did quite a lot of magazine reading and stalking of dealerships before deciding. We wanted something compact enough for us 2 but still big enough to share a few days out with grandkids. Payload is something that the hubby is researching more than anything so thanks for the nudge in that direction. Please keep all your fantastic wisdom coming.

"Totally in at the deep end. What I would like to know is what are the things that you wished you'd known before you set out for the first time?"

Oh blimey!!!

The previous owner of my van had owned it for one year and only used it a few days. Another owner i tracked down, spotted the advert, bought it over the phone taking a train from way down south all the way up to Sheffield to collect it. Meantime they had gone out buying all the bits, table, chairs, cutlery etc etc. Drove it back home, had a two day 'holiday' in it, decided it 'wasn't for them' and part exchanged it at a dealers just a few days later for a car! 8-)

As for what did i wish i'd known before setting out in it? Nothing. I'd long known exactly the type of van i would have and what i was going to use it for. I've owned mine for seven years now. You'd be staggered at the amount of m/h owners like the two described above!

Hope you enjoy your van but give yourselves plenty of time!!

That looks like a nice van. I've had a quick Google session and it's the one with the open full tail gate. I saw an example of the Rio 340 at the NEC in Feb. It looks fab and at 512kg payload it should be quite practical too.

The next two weeks will pass slowly for sure :D

Clintswife - 2017-05-19 3:59 PM

Hi everyone.

My husband & I have just bought our first ever MH. We've never even stayed in a static caravan before. Totally in at the deep end. What I would like to know is what are the things that you wished you'd known before you set out for the first time? .............................

Keep looking up! There are a surprising number of objects (road signs, low branches on trees, gutters on roofs, balconies along narrow streets, even the odd bridge across the road) that are low enough to be struck by a motorhome. Until checking height clearances becomes a habit (which it will! :-)) it is easy to forget to check that nothing is within bashing range. Remember also that road cambers mean motorhomes lean toward the edge of the road somewhat, so things that might not seem likely to be snagged (just like the road sign in the post above), can come into range unexpectedly.

Second thing. A laden van will weigh close to 3.5 tonnes. Motorhome "bumpers" (front and rear) are flimsy plastic. You will not get away with minor contact with anything, even at very low speed, without damage to the bumper and, if the object you contact is another vehicle, without damage to that as well.

Third thing. If manoeuvring close to trees or shrubs, do not assume the foliage will just yield if you happen to brush against it. There is often a much thicker, pruned back, branch end concealed just behind the foliage that will damage whatever contacts it. Motorhomes are easily damaged by wayside vegetation. Usually the result is just a sap streak on the side wall, but aluminium skinned side walls are surprisingly easily damaged.

Fourth thing. Work out a fail safe routine for reversing. You have far more restricted rear vision than when in a car, and it is generally advisable for the passenger to get out and guide the driver back. How to give that guidance in a way the driver will understand, and respond to correctly, is best practised before you encounter your first tight spot!

I've probably now half terrified you out of even driving it! I hope not. Just try to stick to easy routes with relatively little traffic at first, and you'll soon adjust to the feel and size of the van. It's really no more difficult than driving a car, it is just larger and heavier, and responds more slowly, so one has to adjust one's technique. You'll be fine. Honest! Enjoy your new toy, and let us know how you get on.

Hello and welcome;

I think that I was most irritated by our Tom-tom's habit of "short-cutting" by which I mean diverting off the obvious main road route, maybe through a housing estate, down a lane or even a short section of unmade road just to save a few hundred metres.

Once or twice it has necessitated a 5-point turn or a longish reverse.

Be sure to track your progress on a map, and get used to overriding the sweet sounding voice.

Enjoy your new experiences

Regards

Alan b

snowie - 2017-05-19 11:32 PM

Hello and welcome;

I think that I was most irritated by our Tom-tom's habit of "short-cutting" by which I mean diverting off the obvious main road route, maybe through a housing estate, down a lane or even a short section of unmade road just to save a few hundred metres.

Once or twice it has necessitated a 5-point turn or a longish reverse.

Be sure to track your progress on a map, and get used to overriding the sweet sounding voice.

Enjoy your new experiences

Regards

Alan b

Sweet sounding voice? We have Ossie Osbourne on our sat nag! It can be an excuse for wetting ourselves, we love it.

I guess it would be useful to know what your touring plans are. Are you doing odd weeks here and there or off on a six month European adventure?

The obvious one for me which applies to either is make sure before you go you know how everything works both on and off hookup. The heating, water (filling, heating and emptying), beds, electrics (both on hookup and 12v), toilet including emptying it. I thought I had made loads of notes but the bloke who sold me our van told me the 12v switch in ours should be off when we were on hookup. On our first site on our first outing I couldnt understand why the lights kept going dim. We were hooked up right? Turns out the 12v switch needed to be on at the same time. I had the campsite warden out looking at the hookup pole and scratching his head as I was sure I was doing it right.

Trip wise shortly after we bought the van we planned a three month tour of Europe. Our first year we ping pong balled across Europe in all sorts of odd directions in way too much of a hurry and with not much planning or prep. The lesson was plan a bit more where your heading and slow down on a long trip.

The best thing of course is to join a forum like this one and ask as many questions as you want no matter how daft you might think they are. Most veterans enjoy helping newbies. Enjoy the new van!

Hi

How to drain the water system for winter. When we purchased our first van the dealer gave an excellent intro and by winter I remberede I had to drain the system in cold weather BUT I could not remeber how. I had to phone the dealer to ask.

Soooooo when you get your introduction by the dealer take written notes and keep them!

Enjoy your travels

Peter

Brian Kirby - 2017-05-19 10:32 PM

Hi everyone.

My husband & I have just bought our first ever MH. We've never even stayed in a static caravan before. Totally in at the deep end. What I would like to know is what are the things that you wished you'd known before you set out for the first time? .............................

Keep looking up! There are a surprising number of objects (road signs, low branches on trees, gutters on roofs, balconies along narrow streets, even the odd bridge across the road) that are low enough to be struck by a motorhome. Until checking height clearances becomes a habit (which it will! :-)) it is easy to forget to check that nothing is within bashing range. Remember also that road cambers mean motorhomes lean toward the edge of the road somewhat, so things that might not seem likely to be snagged (just like the road sign in the post above), can come into range unexpectedly.

Second thing. A laden van will weigh close to 3.5 tonnes. Motorhome "bumpers" (front and rear) are flimsy plastic. You will not get away with minor contact with anything, even at very low speed, without damage to the bumper and, if the object you contact is another vehicle, without damage to that as well.

Third thing. If manoeuvring close to trees or shrubs, do not assume the foliage will just yield if you happen to brush against it. There is often a much thicker, pruned back, branch end concealed just behind the foliage that will damage whatever contacts it. Motorhomes are easily damaged by wayside vegetation. Usually the result is just a sap streak on the side wall, but aluminium skinned side walls are surprisingly easily damaged.

Fourth thing. Work out a fail safe routine for reversing. You have far more restricted rear vision than when in a car, and it is generally advisable for the passenger to get out and guide the driver back. How to give that guidance in a way the driver will understand, and respond to correctly, is best practised before you encounter your first tight spot!

I've probably now half terrified you out of even driving it! I hope not. Just try to stick to easy routes with relatively little traffic at first, and you'll soon adjust to the feel and size of the van. It's really no more difficult than driving a car, it is just larger and heavier, and responds more slowly, so one has to adjust one's technique. You'll be fine. Honest! Enjoy your new toy, and let us know how you get on.

Good advice. Be aware that some minor roads, particularly the Lake District or Cornwall, are impassable in a motorhome.

I wouldn't put weight checks as number 1. I have never heard of anyone who has had their motorhome weighed in a weight check. Mine looks like an ordinary white van from the outside. I was pulled in by tthe police with the lorries for a weight check on the way to Dover. As soon as I opened the side door they said 'Oh its a motorhome, we don't weigh them'

So I never got weighed, even though thats what I had been stopped for.

I'm excitedly reading all the hints & tips posted. We pick up our new MH in 2 weeks and I can't bear the wait!

I would use the next 2-weeks to do your research, ask lots of questions on this forum and then write a very long list of things to check (and how to check them) for when you finally pick up your new van; then take your list and go through it in detail with the dealer until you are entirely happy - no matter how much time it takes!

We bought our first new MH in Sep-16 and I don't mind saying that things didn't go to plan. We were virgin motorhomers so in hind sight the dealer took advantage by giving a quick handover and getting rid of us as soon as possible.

My wife and I buy new cars on an annual basis and we made the mistake of assuming that our new motorhome would be in mint condition (like our cars) and fully prepared for the subsequent handover to us - it wasn't, not at all, and when I got it back home I found a whole load of issues. We had small dents in the bodywork panels; scratches in the roof pod; rips (albeit very small) in some of the internal walls (check behind the cushions and seats too); faulty LED strip lights; broken carpet fixings; splatted mastic deposits over the van; broken locks etc etc.

I went back to the dealer a few days later to request that the bodywork dings were fixed but only to be told that he wouldn't consider it as I should have picked up the problems on the day. This made for a poor start in the relationship between me and the dealer which is not good for when you want to deal with them again in the future.

The guys have mentioned some fantastic points above but my advice is to make sure that you get things right on the handover as it will make for happier motorhoming in your first few months of ownership.

I hope everything goes well for you ;-)

All the best,

Andrew

Clintswife - 2017-05-19 7:06 PM

Wow! Great start. Thank you all so much. We've bought a Swift Rio 340 and did quite a lot of magazine reading and stalking of dealerships before deciding. We wanted something compact enough for us 2 but still big enough to share a few days out with grandkids. Payload is something that the hubby is researching more than anything so thanks for the nudge in that direction. Please keep all your fantastic wisdom coming.

We've got a Rio 340 and up to now are loving it, in Ireland for a couple of weeks atmo. On a nice day its brilliant for opening the tailgate and letting the outside in.

Initially, I found it useful to have a pre-journey check list. This might include:

1) Disconnect electric hookup (EHU) lead

2) Close all vents and windows

3) Check all draws, cupboards, doors etc are securily latched

4) Lock fridge door

5) Switch fridge to 12v operation. If you leave the fridge on AES (automatic energy selection) this is not required.

6) Retract habitation step

7) Lock habitation door from the inside

8) Remove levelling ramps (if used)

9) Secure any loose items within the van

10) Turn off gas at gas bottle as a precaution. If you have a crash detection devise fitted in the gas locker then this is not really necessary. However, if you have the fridge set to AES, there is always the possibility it might fire up on gas when filling up at a fuel station. There is a built in delay of 10 to 15 minutes before the AES will switch to gas. Anyway, best to be warned.

Best of luck with the handover. As mentioned, check the external bodywork thoroughly, including the roof. Test all the systems, like fridge working on all 3 energy sources, water and space heating on mains and gas, and fresh water coming through taps and also draining away efficiently, ESPECIALLY in the shower tray.

I would definitely echo Brian's comments about always taking great care when manouvering a motorhome and get someone who knows what they are doing to help make sure there are no obstacles in the way and agree a system of warning. Do not rely on parking sensors or cameras. When we got our new PVC I had three bumps in the first few weeks due to overconfidence but fortunately they were very minor and easy to fix but embarrassing to say the least, especially the one outside our house.

In conjunction with this it is essential to go through a checklist before moving off to ensure everything is correctly fixed in place and nothing gets damaged on route.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2017-05-19 4:37 PM

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Sharon.

When we bought our first motorhome in 1998 we had no prior experience of caravanning/motorcaravanning,

You sprog :D .......

.....and to the OP Sharon.....just dive into the moho world......making mistakes is all part of the adventure :D ......

BUT BEWARE it can become addictive 8-) ......

Some essential items to pack.

Corkscrew/bottle opener.

Tin Opener

Sharp knifes for food prep

Sandwich bags, cling film, tin foil Tupperware containers.

Maps

Games e.g. playing cards, scrabble etc

Phone charger and/or battery power pack.

Large frying pan we have 1 large heavy bottomed pan with high sides. We can use this for almost anything.

Colander (we have a folding one, it's great) and other essential kitchen equipment you take for granted.

Herbs, spices, sauces, salt and pepper

Citronella type candles or other mozzie replant.

First aid kit with pain killers.

Wine/beer/Ice

BBQ and charcoal. What is camping without a BBQ?

Shampoo and towels

Try not to take things from the house but buy a set of things specifically for the MH. e.g. a toothbrush.

I have started to buy clothes and shoes that live permanently in the MH so I am ready to go at a moments notice.

Other than maybe videoing the handover on your mobile phone or just taking photos my one bit of advice would be don't panic.

Enjoy

Andy

Beside the power train which is very trustfully of strict checks, your house power can be different. Have a good idea how it works. That needs some time. You have a house power control panel. if that is off some some systems are still alive. Be sure that they are individuality off by their switches. To name a few your fridge kept ruining and your heating system and hot water.l

Archived