What happens to the Ducato when the batteries die

armstrongpiper

I have a Campervan on a 2015 2.3L Ducato, with Comfortmatic gearbox which I normally take out every 3 or 4 weeks for a 25 mile run to keep the batteries topped up and things working smoothly. The 'van is kept in a secure storage. I am well over 75 and am having to stay at home for who knows how many months. The leisure and vehicle battery do lose charge slowly when left alone. If not attended for several months, the vehicle battery will probably die and I wonder what the effect on the Ducato electronics will be and how to sort it when a new battery is eventually fitted. I can reluctantly accept I will need a new leisure battery but that was on the cards anyway.

Neil

My in-laws in Sweden disconnect the battery on their (2009?) Ducato 2.3l during winter storage (6 months) to prevent the vehicle electronics from discharging the battery. The battery will still discharge over time but not as quickly as it would when left connected. I have heard that some later vehicles can lose 'learned' settings for engine management etc but I removed the battery on my 2017 Relay for several days and only the date etc needed to be reset.

Neil

If you feel that you must stay home and there is nobody who can remove the batteries from your motorhome for you and charge them, or the batteries cannot be charged in situ, just let them discharge.

This might well mean that the totally discharged batteries would need replacing before your motorhome was brought back into service, but that’s too bad. Just letting the batteries go flat should not harm the Ducato’s electronics, though some transient settings will need resetting later.

It’s not something to really worry about...

Thanks for your advice folks. Unless the operator of the storage site can fix up a temporary hook up occasionally, and connect up for me, it looks as though it is new batteries eventually. I hope things like brakes, clutch etc don't seize up through lack of use. I will probably need new tyres also, but these are at least 5 years old now so would get changed soon anyway.

Thanks again, Neil B

Unfortunately the ;van is in storage and I am at home, and to be socially responsible I'm not going there. I know it is very tempting to find a way, eg in the car, but we've been told how to behave for the greater good and I think we should heed the advice/rules. The 'van will have to take its chances and be rescued later.

Neil B

armstrongpiper - 2020-03-24 8:24 PM

Unfortunately the ;van is in storage and I am at home, and to be socially responsible I'm not going there. I know it is very tempting to find a way, eg in the car, but we've been told how to behave for the greater good and I think we should heed the advice/rules. The 'van will have to take its chances and be rescued later.

Neil B

Well said if only everyone was as caring Thank You

If the van is 2015 batteries are likely to be older so you've probably had the best out of them So replacing them will save being let down by either when you need it Good luck and stay safe

Most of the motorhomes sitting at motorhome dealers are in the same boat (and the same for large car dealerships). They can't possibly put them all on hook-up or regularly charge the batteries, so the majority of the batteries just die. When I bought my last moho the dealer admitted that they spend around £20,000 per year replacing starter and hab batteries.

Archived