Where does everyone go in Spain Portugal, Jan and Feb?

laimeduck

We are investigating being snowbirds and migrating South for eg Jan and Feb/March. Not something we have done before.

With energy prices rising to about £550 a month for us at that time of the year the costings suggest it's a viable possibility in our Benimar motorhome? The ferry/tunnel and diesel costs to get to say the Algarve are less than 2 months of energy bills!

Bearing in mind that we are really not club/group people and avoid popular destinations whenever we can ..... can you good folk on here tell us where NOT to go! (I believe Benacassim is one example?)

For Portugal and Spain in Jan/Feb/Mar what is the weather like generally?

Jeremy

Jan/Feb/Mar it's the coast of course for virtually everyone. In Portugal the Algarve in preference to the south-north coast which gets the Atlantic wind. In Spain likewise, the Atlantic facing Costa de la Luz isn't considered as good as the Med facing costas being. Quite honestly Iberian winter temperatures are not so good that you'd want to make any comprimise on geographic choice. Inland generally means increased elevation, which means cool cooler cold and brass monkeys. If the weather is the strongest attraction for wintering in Iberia then the Algarve does involve a fair bit of extra mileage over say the costa calida in Spain, for more often than not, inferior weather conditions

Weather wise, based on numerous winter trips, I'd say anywhere between Almeria and Valencia hits the mark with the stretch between Alicante and Almeria getting the top spot weather wise, others may disagree!

Days +20degs can be expected, but short days of course, nights can get cold, single figures. And there can be strong winds/rain at times, bloody strong! And the odd freak hailstone storm on a sunny day!

There are individual geographical favourable positioned spots such as eg good ol' Benidorm which may be marginally better, hence why it's so popular. But no need to go full south to the costa del sol, the weather doesn't necessarily improve, add in extra fuel costs, and assuming 90days max. not worth the effort. Applying for a fairly involved Visa extension of 90days might make it more practical.

Apart from the obvious tourist hotspots such as Benacassim, Benidorm etc. there are many quiet spots, some of the smaller resorts are practically empty, particularly the ones full of warm season holiday developments, empty villas, flats.

However the last couple of decades have seen massive increases in M/home retirees spending winter just as you intend, and many of the campsites can get rammed, some fully booked at least a year ahead.

If you're sensible and conform with the Parking rather than the Camping distinction, it's still possible to wild camp in the winter on the costas, interposed with stops in low cost or free auto de caravanas areas, similar to the French set up, most with services provision.

Cheapest channel crossing for me in the last few years, (Covid period included) has been the Newhaven Dieppe, DFDS, with 20% over 60s discount.

We spend the Winters wandering Spain / Portugal [or did pre Covid ,] we came home from Spain in March 2020 after chatting with the police who called in on us wild camping on a beach, there were at least 40 vans there of all nationalities, we were told we could stay but had to remain with our vehicles as their shutdown was just starting, and Borders were being closed , we opted to head for home as our Winter trip only had about another 3 weeks to run, I do not know what you have against Bennicasim we have spent some time there in the past and loved every minute of it, there is a big Festival there end of January Bull ring built in the town Fireworks Parades Paella cooked in the Street on open fires all the town joins in, lovely beaches and Prom bike ride or bus to Castellon etc , we wild camp or Aires all over seldom use Sites as our van is fully self contained so why would we, Yes it is or was much cheaper to be away in the van Winter time , we always cross the Channel Dover Calais Ferries or Train have a few nights on the Canterbury Aire P N R great facility and it is only20 minutes drive to the Ferry at Dover from there.

We only ever stay in one place for a max of 7 nights often less and then move on , all very easy to do, no plans just go for it and we only ever get a one way crossing [Channel ] as we are never sure when we will return [ PRE COVID ] of course but would still do that, we call the CCC for our crossings tickets always the best price we find ?

We usually travel the whole length of the Algarve and also wander inland and when we decide too we travel to Spain from Portugal Algeciras , , Gibraltar, and onwards plenty of wild camping and AIRES too we meet a lot of like minded People on our travels and have made lots of friends doing this. we seldom use Pay Motorways except where there is no option but the tolls are cheap enough , we prefer to wander the back roads as we have plenty of time so no hurry, So go for it it is a great life , no Guarantees with the weather though, you get what you get , but always better than the UK we think, We also went to Morocco one trip to Spain, on a whim , just phoned our Insurance company and got a Green Card and the OK and off we went, lovely Country, friendly people, never felt threatened any where either, our trip was for 3 months roughly , no campsites just Guardian parking for a few gersunkers for our stays great experience , easy ferry crossing from Algeciras no hassle frequent Ferries great food in Morocco lvely, Enjoy your trip .

We go to Oropesa del Mar north of Castellon, for the last week or two of January and the whole of February. Last two times 4-5 weeks with no rain and lots of sunshine.

Only 2½ days driving from Cherbourg/St Malo and no toll roads (we overnight at Mauléon and Oloron-Sainte-Marie) . If forecast is good, as it usually is, we do Somport Tunnel then Huesca, if not we cross the French/Spanish border at Hendaye on Atlantic coast and go via Pamplona and Zaragoza.

We lived in Valencia just down the coast for ten years and choose this part of Spain for its good February weather.

Regarding Newhaven Dieppe, of which I have some experience, it does depend on the weather and the sea state. If you're an uncertain sailor it might be best avoided in winter/spring. The ferries are greatly improved now from my first experiences, and stabilisers do help, but given a "good blow" usually south-westerly, the line the ship follows is broadly at 45 degrees to the line the swells are following! They tried high speed ferries on the route some years back, both catamarin and monohull, and both created conditions that, given a relatively high sea, created potentially dangerous conditions for passengers. Neither lasted beyond a couple of seasons!

The actual distance between the two is only about 75 miles, but Dieppe is also about 35 miles east of Newhaven, and therein lies the drawback. Crossing time a little over 4 hours. The Atlantic swells roll up the Channel, and the ferries develop an unsettling motion as they cross them, tending to first pitch as they begin to mount the swell, but then to roll as the swell takes the ferry on the western beam. We used to call it "corkscrewing": it's a strange, unremitting, combination of pitch, yaw, and roll, which reverses as the ship rides over the crest and heads into the trough, and it really seems to get the queasy going! If anything is going to test your sea lags, that will!

Not trying to put anyone off, but for those prone to sea-sickness, it can be a vey unpleasant experience. But, if you are unaffected, it's just a bit of a bumpy ride! B-)

vindiboy - 2022-08-11 6:03 PM

https://ibb.co/qMcL3nj We stayed on the Camping Azahar at Benicassim for this Fiesta

I go to south winter every year, always as far as Gibraltar and often Morocco, including lockdown period (legally), usually for 120 days or so.

I suspect for some it wouldn't be quite so attractive to travel as far as in the past, knowing that as things stand the 90 days is likely to be more rigorously enforced than the rules pre EU Exit. Given time we may find a relaxation on strict 90 day enforcement and take benign liberties! Or more likely perhaps a Bilateral Visa Waiver Agreement with the EU.

Meantime a detour to Morocco will add a day for a day to the 90 days, making certain an exit/entry stamp from Spain is obtained.

Alternatively a French or Spanish Visa will get a 180days for a degree of hassle and possible complications.

laimeduck - 2022-08-11 2:36 PM

We are investigating being snowbirds and migrating South for eg Jan and Feb/March. Not something we have done before.

Bearing in mind that we are really not club/group people and avoid popular destinations whenever we can

For Portugal and Spain in Jan/Feb/Mar what is the weather like generally?

Jeremy

Just personal choice but we prefer Portugal 1 week either side of Xmas the Algarve is at its quietest like you we prefer not to be in crowds so then we move inland to the barragems. The weather can be cloudy for a few days then clear to Sunny again in 6 yrs pre covid we never saw a lot of rain this can be seen by the water levels in the Barragems lower every year remember the evenings are long but temps are good never needed more that a light pullover

https://campingcarportugal.com/areasServico?l=english

Thanks to everyone for your responses. My feeling is that Portugal is a more likely possibility - as described by Witzend. We would not be comfortable in somewhere like Benidorm or Benicassim... too many people? Similarly we are not beach people, so the coast is not a must.

We live 20 mins from the tunnel (25 from Dover ferries), so it makes no sense for us to travel 2hrs to Newhaven.

We did a 7 week Iberian tour in 2017 in September going over Portalet down to Segovia and Placencia then Cacares, then Ronda and Gibraltar, Algeciras, the Algarve, then up towards Lisbon before we were caught up in the wild fires and escaped through them to Salamanca. Finally Rioja, then through France and home.

But a winter tour is very different and we are set up for summer camping and rely on sites and EHU which will be our format - hence my question about the weather. The odd inclement day or so is not a problem, but a long period of cold in our van would not be good or enjoyable for us.

Jeremy

We’ve not been in winter, but in terms of quieter areas/sites - I’d agree 100% about Benicassim, particularly Bonterra. I know some people love it, and each to their own. But we went autumn 2019, booked in for 3 or 4 nights and couldn’t wait to leave the next morning! Not really sure why, but we found the site oppressive and seemed to be mostly British. It probably didn’t help that there was noisy building work going on.

The other one we’d not go back to is Los Madriles near Cartagena - again, lots of people love it, and the pool is great, but not for us. Apparently the bingo is a highlight - just not what we look for.

laimeduck - 2022-08-11 11:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for your responses. My feeling is that Portugal is a more likely possibility - as described by Witzend. We would not be comfortable in somewhere like Benidorm or Benicassim... too many people? Similarly we are not beach people, so the coast is not a must.

We live 20 mins from the tunnel (25 from Dover ferries), so it makes no sense for us to travel 2hrs to Newhaven.

We did a 7 week Iberian tour in 2017 in September going over Portalet down to Segovia and Placencia then Cacares, then Ronda and Gibraltar, Algeciras, the Algarve, then up towards Lisbon before we were caught up in the wild fires and escaped through them to Salamanca. Finally Rioja, then through France and home.

But a winter tour is very different and we are set up for summer camping and rely on sites and EHU which will be our format - hence my question about the weather. The odd inclement day or so is not a problem, but a long period of cold in our van would not be good or enjoyable for us.

Jeremy

If you use sites and EHU plus the extra fuel costs of going further south, then any possible economic advantage of going south for the winter over remaining in the UK does become more marginal. Many campsites give good discounts for long stays especially in the winter. Many people on the coast prefer quieter inland destinations, but not in the winter. I'm sure you'll find out why the majority spend their winter on the coast, it's not all crowded the Benis being some of the notable exceptions. I remember them when they were fishing villages as some of us oldies are want to say!

The odd inclement day is what to expect on the coast, away from the coast it's the norm.

Don't forget landing at Dieppe saves 100 miles (over Calais) or so of driving through France if using western routes, and may be a fair bit cheaper ferry crossing.

https://ibb.co/XJNMNhc CASTRO MARIN , a good starting place for Portugal free Aire here here and another one about 4 miles away at Villa real de San Antonia [ pay Aire here ] it has Electric for those who must have it lovely town at both stopovers , local markets salt pans to bird watch I saw my first SPOON BILL here ? , Take what we call the OLIHOA express train from here to FARO and beyond very cheap and a great day out , train covered in graffiti and an old banger but fun to ride ,Go to the SALT museum in CASTRO MARIN very interesting and free, the super market at Castro has tripled in size due to the trade from the Aire and overflow van parking clientele customers .

simian - 2022-08-12 9:23 AM

If you use sites and EHU plus the extra fuel costs of going further south, then any possible economic advantage of going south for the winter over remaining in the UK does become more marginal. Many campsites give good discounts for long stays especially in the winter. Many people on the coast prefer quieter inland destinations, but not in the winter. I'm sure you'll find out why the majority spend their winter on the coast, it's not all crowded the Benis being some of the notable exceptions. I remember them when they were fishing villages as some of us oldies are want to say!

The odd inclement day is what to expect on the coast, away from the coast it's the norm.

Don't forget landing at Dieppe saves 100 miles (over Calais) or so of driving through France if using western routes, and may be a fair bit cheaper ferry crossing.

Simian thanks for that. I had worked out that by using sites I wasn't going to save much, but that it was going to be slightly better than break even, and of course the longer you stay, the more economic it gets (only one return cost for diesel and ferries spread over time versus daily energy costs, especially during the high energy using months of Jan/Feb/Mar).

As far as Newhaven goes, I won't of course save 100 miles as I have a tortuous journey to Newhaven from Romney Marsh which nearly negates the mileage saving, plus about 70 miles of UK diesel prices. (My Benimar returns about 5.5 - 6mpl)

I do know both Spain and Portugal really quite well.......My father started european camping in 1951 in a Morris 8 and a borrowed scout bell tent and we started venturing to Spain and Portugal in the late 50's in our Dormobile. As you say most of these places were simple fishing villages - the names comes flooding back as I look at a map..... Taragona, Almunecar, Palafrugal, Almeria, La Manga, Albufeira, Villa Real de st Antonio/Monte Gordo. I had the misfortune to re-visit Albufeira in 2017 - Appalling place now .. was a beautiful little village in 1960's. To be avoided at all costs now!

Jeremy

It's difficult to accurately interpret what an OP might be asking for, I just took the salient point in your OP being your not having experience of migrating to Iberia for the winter. Albeit it seems you're well up on how the summery seasons shape up. I haven't been to Portugal for nearly a decade, (at least winter times). I invariably stopped in campsites. Although up until errr..... this century! wild camping was easy and largely tolerated. Since then year on year overwhelming numbers of snowbirds from all over N. Europe alas crowded out many of the campsites, result is wild camping became verboten in many places. Lost some of its appeal for me.

The Algarve is only c.120 miles extent of course. IMO Spain has been more able to absorb this popularity with hundreds of miles of costas.

Now decided to stick to Spain, drive through France taking my time both ways, with every other year spending 3 months in Maroc, now a useful way of extending EU/90 time down in the sun. Not that Maroc is avoiding the winter crowds either. Surprising what a terrorist attack in France does to the availability of campsite spaces though! .

100 miles for me to Dover, 125 miles to Newhaven. In the last 3 years DFDS return crossings to Dieppe have significantly beaten my usual Dover xing Calais enough to make it the preferred option. If someone has to battle with adverse UK traffic conditions then I can understand that its not all about saving a few quid.

Archived