Where the heck is the gear box oil filler ?

royalle620

On most gearboxes the level plug on the side of the gearbox is also the filler plug. Dealers will use a gear oil filler with a flexible spout and a winding handle. If this is not available, remove the level plug and add the correct grade of gear oil through any removable fitting at the top of the gearbox giving the oil time to pass down to the correct level before replacing the level plug. The correct level is when the oil just flows out through the level plug hole. Some gearboxes are fitted with a dipstick but this should be apparent if fitted. Hope this is of some help. :-D B-)

bigal - 2010-09-05 8:58 PM

On most gearboxes the level plug on the side of the gearbox is also the filler plug. Dealers will use a gear oil filler with a flexible spout and a winding handle. If this is not available, remove the level plug and add the correct grade of gear oil through any removable fitting at the top of the gearbox giving the oil time to pass down to the correct level before replacing the level plug. The correct level is when the oil just flows out through the level plug hole. Some gearboxes are fitted with a dipstick but this should be apparent if fitted. Hope this is of some help. :-D B-)

Read my previous reply please.

D.

Dave is Da Man on this.

Unscrew the reverse sensor switch.

Use a thin neck funnel and add the new gearbox oil through the hole.

Refit switch.

Just did the gearbox oil on mine last week using exactly that method.

The manual says there's a gearbox oil diptsick on my 1992 Peugeot J5 2.5 TD. Is there buggery! The hole is blanked off on the top of the gearbox.

Archived