Where to buy an Italian gas cylinder?

GraemeM

Slightly in need after a week in Italy.

Where can you buy an Italian gas cylinder 5-6kg. We have tried petrol stations and a fair number of supermarkets. Nothing.

(We know that we will have to buy a new regulator, we already have a collection.)

In France no problem, there are cages of the things everywhere. In Italy not a sign.

We have found one commercial company, but they don't look very retail.

Any thoughts? We are near La Spezia near Genia

We spent the winter skiing in the Dolomites and used a number of Italian gas bottles. The standard size is 10kg and they are called "bombola di gas", there are many different brands but all are identical and we had no trouble exchanging different brands. As you can see in the photo they are quite narrow and the height of a standard 13kg bottle.

Before going I'd purchased a small, inexpensive, adaptor to fit between the Italian bottle and my 21.8LH hose, there was no adaptor for UK Propane to Italian bottle. You may need to buy an Italian hose from a motorhome shop.

We tended to exchange in campsites or more organised private sostas, I did see them advertised in villages bakeries and the like, you need to keep your eyes peeled!. We did use some campsites to exchange without booking in to the site itself.

Good Luck

Kev

edit. ps the bottles will have the valve as per the green bottle, and most brands are green.

1278174148_bomboladigas.jpg.e78421bd89d6211d4883dea13c39bb1e.jpg

So how this ended up for us was that we couldn't find a supplier of smaller 5-6kg bottles only 10kg bottles.

We bought a 10kg (€25 inc deposit or no deposit) and €5 for a regulator and parked it outside the van at night, we can just about shoehorn it into the locker but not to use. Less then ideal, but if it gets nicked what can you do. The alternative was a 5kg campinggaz for €88 plus reg which we have.

Apparently smaller bottles are available, but harder to find, some refilling goes on.

GraemeM - 2016-07-14 10:35 PM

...The alternative was a 5kg campinggaz for €88 plus reg which we have...

Possibly being over-pedantic, but I believe you’ll find that your Campingaz canister holds just 2.75kg of (butane) gas. That’s assuming it’s a “907" canister which is the largest Campingaz offers.

Archived