Where to go for 10 days in September

AndyLou

Hi

I have a 10 day holiday in September but I am not sure where to go.

I think I want to go abroad somewhere but not sure where.

We lie to travel a lot and usually only spend 1 or 2 days in any one place.

I have been thinking about Andorra or maybe Prague.

If anybody has a must do tour that takes about 10 days from Calais please share.

Thanks

Andy

Its a bit of an open question....!!!!

You could try French Riviera, or if you wanted a longer drive, Croatia, both of which should have pretty decent weather then.

We tend to prefer the west coast of France (Landes or Medoc area for September hand have spend time there over a number of years for most of September.

Depends what you like! Sun/ Walking /site seeing?

What dates in September? Some sites in France can close in September. Spain may be to far for 10 days, unless you take the ferry strait there from Portsmouth Just go over the channel, and turn either left or right!

PJay

Another vote for Germany - but I would avoid the Mosel ! Particularly in the Weinfest season - very busy, stellplaetze packed & commercial sites tired at the end of the season. Been down that route fruitlessly a couple of times around that time of year & don't just bother at all now - don't see the attraction of being rammed in so close you can hardly open the hab door.

I suggest heading East - the Harz is nice (Wernigerode & Quedlingburg are nice & both have stellplaetze, Thale has a nice campsite in the old Kloster. Pay the Tourist tax & use the local busses FOC), the Thuringian Forest too (good, quiet - if a bit remote - forest site at Oberhof Camping on the Luetsche Stausee). The Baltic coast (nice site at Kuelungsborn), the Mecklenburg lakes area east of Berlin, Schwerin, the area around Dresden - all worth a look. Quieter, better surfaced roads & a slower pace of life once you get into the old East, though English may not be as widely spoken.

If you fancy the West, then Moehnesee is good, as is the Lueneburger Heide. Bad Ems on the Lahn river (opposite side of the Rhein to the Mosel near Koblenz) is a nice spa town. Heidelberg & many places on the Neckar are worth a look. There is a new (last summer, 32 places IIRC, near the outdoor swimming pool) stellplatze in Sinsheim about 2 miles from the Technical Museum & the sister museum at Speyer has it's own (bit pricey for what it offers) site attached - the list is almost endless. There are so many more interesting places than the Mosel !

That time of year (after the schools are back) the "oldies" come out & the stellplaetze fill up early. We took to arriving by around 2pm & many were full by 5. The stellplatz on the Moehnesee (just out of Delecke on the north side of the lake) is around 50 places on 5 terraces up the hillside - €15 a night last year, including electric, water & dumping. Pay by CC at a machine (no problems with a UK Mastercard). Nice restaurant about 15 mins walk into Delecke. We arrived around 3.30 on a Friday last September & there were only 2 places left - much the same at Hameln the year before (IIRC that was €8, water & electric on meter, full by 5pm) & Lueneburg (40 places, €10 a night, full by 2pm !).

The German Tourist Board do some good publications (in English), but it is also nice to just choose an area and meander. Get a copy of the Bord Atlas (cheaper from Amazon) which lists the stellplaetze & the ACSI card for discounted sites & be a bit more adventurous !

Nigel B

Yet another vote for Germany, you don't say when in September you are going but if it's the the fist couple of weeks, I can recommend a trip along The Rhine for one of the biggest firework displays you will see, "The Rhine in Flames", these displays are in July, August & September and are organised by the various towns and villages along the banks of the Rhine, the centre of the villages are normally closed to vehicle traffic on the display days as they are taken over by wine, beer & food stalls that go on until they run out of beer & wine in the early hours of the next morning. The only two displays in September are the 9th at Oberwesel / Loreley & on the 16th at

St Goar / St Goarshausen. The 2 camp sites I used when I was there are St Goar Fun Boat Marina N50* 9' 15"

E7* 43' 33" and Bacharach Camping Soulien Strand N50* 03' 24" E7* 46' 13" this site is further away from St Goar but is just across the road from the railway station so we caught the train into St Goar.

Phil

Archived