Which SWB/med roof "Transit" sized "dayvan" base...?

pepe63xnotuse

Hi all..

Not a Motorhome query but I'm after some thoughts on the above....

I'm currently using our old Toyota Hiace van (2001 & 212,000 miles!) as my knock-about, and as our rudimentary "camping van" base and although it's still trundling on fine and has never missed a beat, I am always keeping an eye out for what to replace it with when it *does finally let go or we decide to retire it . (*or more likely the case, the cost of repairs will out way the "value" we put on the van?).

We would be looking at something along the lines of 5+ year old van or even a "widowed van" or minibus? (**..so maybe something slightly bigger).

** I have considered just looking to replace it with a newer, LWB version. Unfortunately, these vans don't seem that common and those that are out there, tend to have pretty high mileages to start with and even some of the battle scarred ones, still fetching silly money. Another down side, is they weren't produced in any Hi-top form (..and a £3-4K+ ? Hi-top or "pop" roof conversion would probably be a disproportionate amount to spend on such a vehicle)

But I do want something that is robust, reliable, simple/cheap to maintain and not something that is going to be rendered as "scrap" by a very expensive to fix (but very common!) fault...

So, with that in mind, I would consider something that some may be feel is now a bit "crude" when compared to the current crop of models(X290s etc)

So....options?...opinions?..

Transits Mk 7s? pros/cons..? ..which engine to avoid? etc

Traffics/Vivaros...gearbox failures and injector problems-are they still a trouble?

How are early X250s now perceived? - at nearing 10 years old would some be deemed a liability ?

(the up side is that their internal width would allow for a rear cross-ways bed option)

What about a well cared-for pre-X250 (x244?) or are they now too long in the tooth?

Renault Master..? (our last coachbuilt had a 2.5 150hp Renault base but that was only 18months old when we bought it and was fault free)

(I realise the above vans will have make-specific forums for detailed "opinions"..)

Any feedback based on first hand experiences and/or from ownership would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Which ever make/model we intend to aim for, it will probably end up being a balancing act between getting the tidiest, best cared for example of what ever van(s) are around at the time, and that are within a reasonable distance...?

We have a Cavarno 2. It's a Hi-top based on SWB Mk 7 Transit with 140 PS engine. It's compact enough to go anywhere and park wherever a car can, and it has shower/toilet cubicle and good storage. It's brilliant and we use it like a second car. It lives quite close to you now B-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2017-03-21 1:48 PM

But I do want something that is robust, reliable, simple/cheap to maintain and not something that is going to be rendered as "scrap" by a very expensive to fix (but very common!) fault...

Sounds like you need a MK5 or earlier :D .......

BTW a useful exercise in longevity is to go on ebay, commercial vehicles, click on model year from 1990 to 2000 and see how many Sevel vans come up ;-) .......of the 352 listings there were just 3 Sevel's 8-).....1 Citroen and 2 Peugeot's :D .........and loads of Tranny's of course B-) ......fair few VW and Iveco's plus Jap crap High Aces :-D ....

Will86 - 2017-03-21 2:29 PM

pepe63 - 2017-03-21 1:48 PM

(our last coachbuilt had a 2.5 150hp Renault base but that was only 18months old when we bought it and was fault free)

Should have kept that one.

No Will..it was a lovely van but it was 7mtr+, 3.850kg front wheel drive coach-built and was no longer suitable for our usage/needs.

Hi Muswell..

Our first "proper" van was a Duetto based on an '03 (Mk6?) 2.4 MWB/RWD Transit..and that was a good van but it only had one rear belted seat (..and with the likes of a full oven, and large shower/loo cubicle etc, it would've probably been a bit "over-kill" equipment wise for what we need now).

Now, we only want a van to function as Day/Picnic van / people carrier/ load lugger / and as an occasionally rudimentary-camper, for a dozen of so times a year... ( "only"!? (lol) )

Hence me considering the likes of a "windowed" van....

Since I've managed to kick my "..all vans must be RWD..." fixation (:$ ) I think swb/fwd Transits (similar) are a realistic option

Thanks

Oops! sorry Dave I crossed your post..

When it comes the time, if one presented itself, I wouldn't turn my nose up at another Hiace ("Powervan") but It's just a shame that they didn't make a "Transit" sized van...

Our 2010 Hymer Van 562 sits on a late 2008 Transit, 2.2l, 140ps. It's quick, smooth and quiet (6 gears). Much better than our Euro 4 Ducato based Cheyenne which, admittedly, was a 7.4m long wooden lump. Security is an issue and I've replaced the driver's door with a Garrison Lock. My driver's seat doesn't swivel, but it could if I lowered the handbrake on the right hand size (if you're converting, you may have the handbrake on the LH side?). The steering wheel doesn't adjust and I have just about found a comfortable position for the seat but, I've yet to do a long journey.

Archived