Which sat nav is best?

Barcobird

Having trawled through all of the sat nav threads I felt it best to ask the question again especially as technology never stands still.

Your advice is appreciated to what YOU think is the best sat nav out their specifically for motorhomes. European maps, lifetime upgrades, enter size of Motorhome, Motorhome camping stops, lane guidance, dash cam in case of accidents and a 7" touch screen. Television is not required!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m doubtful that there is any product currently marketed that will meet ALL of your requirements. The Garmin nuviCAM LMT-D combined sat-nav/dash-cam meets some of them, but it has a 6” screen not a 7” one and I don’t think it can accept vehicle dimension data. Reviews here:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/garmin-nuvicam-lmt-d-review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/car-tech/tom-tom-gps-and-sat-nav/garmin-nuvicam-lmt-d-1298237/review

If you were prepared to separate the dash-cam from the sat-nav, it would be another matter.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-06-06 7:56 AM

I’m doubtful that there is any product currently marketed that will meet ALL of your requirements. The Garmin nuviCAM LMT-D combined sat-nav/dash-cam meets some of them, but it has a 6” screen not a 7” one and I don’t think it can accept vehicle dimension data. Reviews here:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/garmin-nuvicam-lmt-d-review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/car-tech/tom-tom-gps-and-sat-nav/garmin-nuvicam-lmt-d-1298237/review

If you were prepared to separate the dash-cam from the sat-nav, it would be another matter.

I just thought the dash cam might be a good aid to gave and it keeps things "tidier" by having it in one unit. As an experienced motorhomer do you think they are necessary ? I guess they are in the event of an accident.

Hi.

We have a Garmin Camper 660LMT-D say nav.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Z06RPFW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1465198405&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=garmin+camper+sat+nav&dpPl=1&dpID=41hMNcW4puL&ref=plSrch

It's brilliant. You can enter the size of your vehicles whic then stops you going down any roads that would not be suitable for the vehicle. It has ACSI sites included in it and also other campsites and suitable places to wild camp (if that's what u want to call it) . Also all the usual stuff like poi and shops ect. Also lifetime uk and Europe maps and Bluetooth and digital traffic. Think we paid £200 in Aldi when they had them in a while back.

Then we also have a next base dash cam hard wired to the vehicle which is quick realese so we are able to easily close the cab blinds.

:-D

I am a great believer in Tom Tom devices, have had 3 over 10 years, (original one, one new edition, 1005 camper edition) i am still using the camper edition which has been superceded now, have free lifetime map upgrades, which is very important, as is vehicle type and dimension entry. Cannot advise on the latest TomTom, as i am not sure of the model numbers, all i know is the standard Fiat fitment one is useless for a Camper, and is very difficult to upgrade the maps etc., this is the same model as in a Fiat 500 !! But Tom Tom ARE good, if you get the correct model. IMHO.

And as a general rule NEVER pay extra to get the vehicle manufacturers inbuilt Sat-Nav, it will be down to a price, a portable is far far better and easier to upgrade.

Hi, having used garmin quest, mio, tomtom , and snooper, they all have their quirks and oddities. None have camera option.

I have recently trial downloaded copilot, onto my samsung 10 inch tablet, and have played with it to see how useful it might be.

I have set up a route home via creuse valley, and bent it about to force it to use some smaller wandering routes, which might not be accessable for motorhome, as a tester.

my early impression is that it could be a useful device but a 10 inch tablet is a bit too big, something around 6 or 7 inches would be more appropriate.. then also, how do you mount a tablet of whatever size, as they dont come with a windscreen mounting. I am currently thinking velcro pads..

second problem is volume of the voice guidance, not very lound over the engine and road noises....to be resolved.

I am not sure about setting up my own poi.. seems possible,..further experiments needed.

I have both snooper and tomtom on the van so wont get totally lost, but the copilot does seem potentially useful ...and a lot cheaper..

Is there anyone else using copilot out there.

tonyg3nwl

Also favour Tom Tom.We have a built in Sat Nav in the car, and it's not a patch on TT.Not so good to view, not as clear.

When we first got the car, we used both Sat Nav together , (as we where not total familiar with the car one (Ford) They used different routes !! So we stuck with TT that time.(as we new the way anyway)

Came back from North Yorkshire yesterday, via the Ford one, still not happy with it

So Have to say TOM TOM for us everytime.Free lifetime updates as well!!

PJay

Replaced our TomTom via125 earlier this year with a TomTom 5100, the earlier model had no lifetime updates, the newer model has lifetime worldwide maps, and lifetime traffic and speed cameras across many countries. There is no ability to add vehicle size(not a problem for me)

I was happy with the 5" previously so stuck with that size, When looking at traffic (and speed camera) updates, it appears that Tomtom 5100 is one of few that update themselves without having to use data from your phone.

I'm generally happy with it, but it's not without it's problems, as with my earlier TomTom it's not that intuitive when updating, which has reminded me I need to check if an earlier update problem has been solved,

As with many items nowadays you only get a 'quick guide' to getting started, which is no big deal unless like the TomTom it miss's some basic setting up like traffic and speed cameras, i.e. whilst it has a sticker telling you to activate TomTom services, this is not clear that you not only have to set up an TT account on the pute whilst the satnav is connected, but you also need to delve into the satnav menu and set them up there as well.

Your question is nigh impossible to answer.

First decide what you want it for, if its a 'must have toy' then you will never be satisfied. If its for a specific journey then I guess almost any make will cope.

I use a 16 year old Navman. It does all I need especially in the UK and Ireland. Also used it many times in France. There are times when a new road is missing and I appear to be in a field but as I read direction signs its never a problem.

There's one display on it that's the same as the most expensive ... it will guide me out of any town or city very easily.

As its a hand held unit I can sit indoors and plan any journey with ease so the actual travelling is secondary. I never get involved in upgrades.

It does all I need.

Will

Although I like techno toys this is a must for safer and less stressful driving. I have owned a tomtom for about 7 years which is slapped onto the screen of our car. I have been pretty impressed although it has sent me on a few "wild goose chases". It didn't come with life upgrades and would cost about £40 to do it, so not really worth it.

We'd are waiting for our first Motorhome which is about 7.5 meters so I feel the option to feed in the dimensions are very important, other than that no big deal really, I think most come with lifetime updates now. I declined the built in job from Fiat, I think it's best to be a mobile unit which you can load anywhere or check destinations etc in comfort and not stuck in front of your dashboard. 7" display because you can see it clearly, not moving forward in your seat to read it.

Sometimes you can spend 200 other times 400 I just wandered from experience if more expensive is really worth more?

I've used CoPilot for the last 3 years all over Europe on a cheap android tablet.

The app cost about £32 and is all I need for navigation. It normally gives you the option of 3 routes but you can customise the route by dragging the route to your requirements.

Best thing since since sliced bread, in my view, if you have a tablet or smartphone with GPS.

Another vote for TomTom here!

As per Rayjsj I've also been using it in various guises for over ten years and I quite literally swear by it.

I'm using the iPad version currently, have been for a few years now, but that's because my iPad goes everywhere I do (for work too) but I also have dash mounts in both the car and the MH so it's dead easy to swap between vehicles. The car also has full integration so the audio (music and spoken directions) all come out of the car speakers too.

The only catch to the iPad version of TomTom, you cannot specify your vehicle type.

RogerThat - 2016-06-07 9:54 PM

As per Rayjsj I've also been using it in various guises for over ten years and I quite literally swear by it.

I'm using the iPad version currently, have been for a few years now, but that's because my iPad goes everywhere I do (for work too) but I also have dash mounts in both the car and the MH so it's dead easy to swap between vehicles. The car also has full integration so the audio (music and spoken directions) all come out of the car speakers too.

The only catch to the iPad version of TomTom, you cannot specify your vehicle type.

It was all sounding quite good until the last sentence.

Barcobird - 2016-06-07 10:04 PM

From what I understand the only time entering vehicle sizes makes a difference is if there is a posted restriction, even narrow Cornish lanes have very few of these.

colin - 2016-06-07 10:46 PM

Barcobird - 2016-06-07 10:04 PM

From what I understand the only time entering vehicle sizes makes a difference is if there is a posted restriction, even narrow Cornish lanes have very few of these.

This is true, because there has never been a proper survey of the dimensions of our road system, as say google earth does with cameras , so entering vehicle dimensions just gets you sent on primary routes, it does however get into trouble when smaller roads lead to the final destination....say a campsite down a Cornish lane. The only time i will now upgrade my sat-nav is if it breaks, OR someone does a genuine dimension based laser survey of our British roads, and includes the data into their mapping.

Personally I would never include an inbuilt Satnav system in any vehicle I purchased.

I prefer to have a purpose bulit satnav rather than an Mobile Phone App although say CoPilot on a Small tablet is an option I would consider.

I have historucally always had Tomtom units and have travelled throughout the UK and Europe and whenever I have had up todate maps have very rarely decided to ignore a diection suggested even when using the Car Units in the Motorhome.

I have recently been given a new Garmin Camper unit which so far I have used without problems to Cornwall and back to Kent. However whilst in some respects its information whilst travelling is better, for example it says "take the 3 right hand lanes rather than Keep Right as on the Tomtoms and its search facilities is better, I have identified some really odd routing with it in the area I live in. For example if you select in Motorhome mode a route from Borough Green to Gravesend it totally ignores the A227 and routes via the M25 or via A228 which adds many unnecessary miles. Also from our Home it takes you on a 1.5 mile detour to take the A2 East and if I set it to car mode for the same destination it recommends a route along a a single track road with 2 blind bends and which Floods in heavy rain such that a 4 wheel drive would not cope. Nobody who lives here would take their car that way. Finally if in Motorhome mode you ask it to go from Meopham Green to Longfield then when you get to the Left Turn off the A227 it says take the 2nd Left turn 20yds beyond, drive through the Shop fronting Parking slot then turn right out of it and then turn Right into the turn it ignored. WTH

The Garmin has the most up todate map they offer which does not know the current road layout at the junction with the A2 referred to above but has existed for 2 years plus.

I have had the chance to compare the routing in Motorhome mode between a Tomtom and the Garmin and it is clear they do not always suggest the same routing. Certainly where we live the Tomtom do not show the same routing errors. In all instances where tested both units have suggested routes which whilst not the same for similatr vehicles clearly do take the vehicle type into consideration. All the above depending on the Data available on the maps re route widths and bridge hieghts etc

I often see comments that the Tomtom traffic data is better and we have seen it work very successfully both in the UK and Europe with suggestions to route round problems.. The Current GO5100/6100 units do not require you to use your Mobiles data allowance to connect to the Tomtom servers throughout Europe. These units are Car units and not for Motorhomes etc. They do a GO6000 Truck version which enables you to put in dimensions. It has lifetime maps and an in built sim but Traffic is only free for a Year. The Garmin has not yet had the chance to help or fail re traffic so cannot comment.

Hope the above helps

I have just purchased a 5inch TomTom 5000 from Halfords on an Offer. Halfords were asked them for a review which is basically printed below.

The unit has lifetime maps and traffic, but is short on useful functions that would aid a M/homer or Caravaner. I did not go down the Camper Sat Nav, or Truck choice because they were too big, too expensive and reports of dodgy maps / routing made me think that a car version would be as good.

I plan my route on the SatNav, see what it tells me, pour over the maps to revise the route and what we want to see or drive. Then enter the revised route into the SatNav.

OH Dear, the current TomToms are not a patch on the older versions.

My Halfords Review; (Maybe slight modifications when Halfords have finished with it ?)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Good Stuff;

Fast routing, Good traffic information, Ability to offer different routes, clear display.

Oh Dear Stuff.

Swipe controls four icons to a screen, the order can be altered but still takes a lot of finger work, too much to do if driving

Previous TTs had six icons per screen and was easily navigated through the menu.

If I had of known, I Probably Would Not Have Brought It Stuff.

POIs and Routes have to be loaded via the internet MyDrive program. If you are out of internet range. You are up the road without directions, (Up River ---No Paddle.)

YOUR POIs are displayed by one universal icon. So you cannot tell if the icon represents a Petrol station that sells Autogas, a Nation Trust property, Camp site or RSPB site.

POIs do not seem to display when driving, only available for choosing a goto destination.

Choosing a POI to go to is difficult because the menu system has a mind of its own when in operation. You cannot load POIs and / or routes without an internet connection.

Biggest Moan is that the TT is meant to be a navigation device.

The previous TTs could differentiate between a Stop (as in I will stop here to throw off a parcel) and a Waypoint ( as I can drive past this point, but it will be ignored after a few hundred metres)

The current Stop systems keeps routing back to the Stop point unless cancelled.

BUT if I want to change part of the route, I have to put a Stop in, and then remove it as I pass it.

Which is;

a) Several icon pushes

b) Bloody dangerous if you are driving.

c) Should I pull over on the hard shoulder just to amend my route?

d) Or suffer the voice telling me to U turn at every junction, until the stop is cancelled.

I liked TomToms, at least the previous generation, which were easily configured. But this generation is wide of the mark on a number of accounts.

It would seem the design brief was;

""Let us completely forget what we have done before (despite it being probably the best on the market). Let us build a SatNav for the Snowflake generation (Google it , if you are not sure ;- ) ) and if changes are wanted, we might consider changing, maybe """

Short and Sweet

Its an OK for an A to B route, Not OK if you want to do your own thing.

Rgds

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Definately not for some Campers !

Rgds

Thanks Tony I think you have managed to steer me away from tomtom, they have been around for a long time and you would think they could build on their success, it seems they have sat on their laurels.

Have sat navs moved on generally with the feel of touch screen ? I find I have to "prod" at the screen on my old tomtom whereas my iPhone is silky and sensitive.

Tony, have you tried changing size of icon? This was a problem with my old TT, the poi's I added where all just a red square,changed the size and they displayed correctly.

When I first got the 5100 hated the new menu, after several journey's I got to grips with it and now find it just as easy to use as old one

Thanks for the replies;

The new screens are more sensitive than the old ones and I think use a different technology. On the old screen I could use a pen (from a older PDA) to pick points, I cannot do this on the newer TT. I have not tried a soft touch pen yet. The screen is maybe too sensitive, if used whilst driving.

The newer TTs are "User Prooofed" and you can only load ITN, GPX and POI files via MyDrive. You are unable to load a BMP file (or other icon) files.

Those users that like to use the GPSForum speed camera files, forget it ! There is no proximity warning available.

More Moans !!! (as I am finding out)

ITN files can be ONLY be loaded by taking out the SD micro card, writing a ITN file onto it, then re-inserting the card. (Provided the card does not have maps on it ?). For the heavy handed, micro cards can be rather fiddly to say the least.

As written previously, you HAVE to be connected to the internet to load MyDrive, No Internet >> MyDrive says there is no connection then waits for a connection. The TT cannot be connected by any other means,

What is wrong with a cable connection for either task ?

I use M/Soft Autoroute and or Mappoint to route, but the GPX files are not recognised by the new TT. However if they are loaded into TYRE, the are read as GPX files and can be exported, then reread by MyDrive (when connected to the internet !!) and loaded into the TT.

There does seem to be a later version of GPX file structure, the older gpx works OK with my Garmin bits n pieces.

MyDrive is supposed to be an universal app (Win , Android and IOS), that will down load / talk to the TT unit via the internet cloud. However, the user is unable to see any POIs, put stops on the route and as far as I can see just lets the user specifiy a start and finish point. Seems rather useless really, if you already have the TT in your hand and you can do more on the TT.

TT suggest using TYRE (free download) to build POIs and GPX routes. Not sure what the tie up is with TomTom but Tyre does work after a fashion. It is rather like ITNConvert, but a few more features. However TT having suggested that third party software is used, fail to take account that the TYRE app is written for the older TToms (RIDE) so a number of the useful functions fail where any communication is needed with the TT UNIT.

Unfortunately TYRE has to be connected to the internet as it uses Google maps. To be fair, the TYRE program is good, Much better with older TT units.

There are a number of other user interface items missing as well; Converting favourites into POIs was a feature I used. Different sounds

Finally, (if you have got this far) The maximum speed for routing cannot be set, so the TT assumes that every vehicle it is used on travels at 70MPH on the motorway. (60 MPH on other roads) Of course this leads to inaccurate times, if you drive slower. Previously I used 50 MPH, and this usually gave a reasonable drive time, given that my speed ebbed and flowed with a max speed of 65mph.

Rant Over,

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...

Having been fairly vitriolic about the TT5000, I thought that I could add some items in its favour.

You can use “Stops” as waypoints, you have to max zoom into the road and put the stop in the middle of the road. When you drive over the stop, the TT announces that you have reached “Your Destination” then goes quiet.

Any hint of an address, you are doomed! The TT will want to route you back until you cancel the Stop.

Not the best, but it seems to work.

TomTom’s MyDrive Apps on android, IOS and Win10 all have different functionality. I would have hoped they all worked the same way and have the same functionality.

However, MyDrive on Win10, (maybe Mac ?) for some reason has a Truck input for routing, as well as a car, where you can put in your Truck (M/Home ) Measurements, such as Length, width, Load, Axle Load, and max speed. And MyDrive does give a different route to that of the car choice and seems to take account of the Truck dimensions. The Route can be sent to the TT via MyDrive and the cloud.

The Storing of routes and or tracks is useful. (Not sure that I have yet worked out the difference)

Being able to arrange the choice of icon functions does serve a purpose, the least used are at the back of the queue.

The alternative route function shows and additional two routes, together with time and mileage differences. Click on route of choice.

I am getting used to the TT5000,

Bugbears that remain are not being able to set a max speed (TT assumes national speed limits as speed of travel), Not being able to see or differentiate POIs on the display and having to have an internet connection to make if all work.

My way, probably not the best, I use Mappoint to route and form POIs. This way I have a permanent record, When I have an internet connection, use Tyre to convert routes and POIs to the new GPX format, and MyDrive to load routes and POIs.

Just off topic, If you have old Memory Map .QCT files, they can read on an android based system using an App called Alpine Quest. To my surprise, I got it running on my Kindle HD Fire, which generally hates anything other than Amazon Android.

Rgds

Hi Tony, thanks for taking the time and going to great lenthgs in explaining the pro's and cons of various functions on the sat navs. Do you work in a shop selling them, you seem extremely knowledgeable. However to be really honest with a lot of your comments I haven't got a clue what your talking about, I am looking for something "simples"

I suggested previously decide what you want it for, buy a cheap one and learn as you go. I have an ancient Navman and it does all I need. Nothing is perfect so unless you're prepared to jump in and choose one it doesn't get any simpler.

Archived