Whistling Ducato

IVAN

I think i may have posted about this before so excuse me if youv'e heard it before.We own a 2002 Fiat McLouis 2ltr. About 18 months ago on a trip i noticed a very slight whistling whilst the engine was on tickover or gently revving .The noise dissapears when the engine is revved .The noise can only be heard in the cab and as i say it is only slight.The van has been to Portugal twice since and although there is no difference to the power it is definitely doing 2 or 3 miles to the gallon less. Doubters will say how can i gauge it, but i have owned the van for 7 years and can pinpoint the decrease in mpg to the whistling. I have had my head all over in the engine bay but nitto. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am loathe to take it into a garage after reading about somebody with a similar problem being told they were imagining it .My brother has a small local garage and has plugged it in , but no faults found.!! :D

Guest Tracker
Have you considered it being a small air leak, possibly in the vacuum brake servo tubing, or inlet manifold?

Thanks Tracker..I have thought about them, but out of the cab i can see or hear nothing. I will try again and again but am struggling....We go to Portugal again in 2 months and over that distance i am losing 10% which equates to £100 for the return trip.

Guest Tracker

In that case maybe a bearing? Fan, water pump maybe - but they would be audible outside and certainly with the bonnet up?

In which case as it's an indoor thingy - I don't suppose it's something as simple as the heater fan by any chance??

Or air con - if you have it?

Or a badly fitting door seal?

The noise is probably a worn turbo charger. I once had a turbo explode on an ERF tractor unit and the road was engulfed in blue vapour. I stopped straight away and turned the engine off to prevent a total loss of the engine oil,it had to be towed to a garage for a new one to be fitted.

I was just in a trance using full remote long distance diagnostic skills when I sensed that Rolandrat had pipped me to the post.

I was going to say turbo as well, the vanes can wear or get chipped then they whiste. Sometimes they whistle for tens of thousands of miles, sometimes they fail.

It might be worth having the turbo boost pressure checked.

H

I had the same noise. It dissapeared when I stopped accelerating and got to cruising speed.

I was advised it was the turbo so I had it changed. They said that there was play in the shaft when they examined it. I picked the van up and hey presto the noise was still there. Back into theworkshop it went with every mechanic in the place listening. Turns out it was a very slight leak on an exhaust manifold gasket.An expensive exercise but I do use the garage for my other vehicles and know the manager well so sometimes you have to trust someone.

Hope you get it sorted.

Hello Folks,

We have seen this several times on 2002 to 2006 Ducato 2.8's.

We have changed Turbo's that were perfectly ok before fining the actual cause which as alluded to by several of the above members is a poorly installed inlet manifold gasket. I do not know why it sometimes takes years to show itself but there are 4 individual oval gaskets used and some were folded over during assembly by a poorly calibrated assembly robot. The gaskets are cheap enough but it is an awkward job to get at them and will take a while to do.

Well done those people!

Nick

euroserv - 2012-07-02 1:08 PM

Hello Folks,

We have seen this several times on 2002 to 2006 Ducato 2.8's.

We have changed Turbo's that were perfectly ok before fining the actual cause which as alluded to by several of the above members is a poorly installed inlet manifold gasket. I do not know why it sometimes takes years to show itself but there are 4 individual oval gaskets used and some were folded over during assembly by a poorly calibrated assembly robot. The gaskets are cheap enough but it is an awkward job to get at them and will take a while to do.

Well done those people!

Nick

IVAN's motorhome is powered by a 2.0JTD motor not the 2.8litre, but a leaking manifold gasket could just as easily be causing the noise.

The motor has been 'tuned', which may or may not be significant.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=28024&posts=5

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13073&posts=9

Ahh Derek, well spotted.

It's probably not that then because the 2.0 has a strip gasket and not individual ones and are assembled by French robots and not Italian ones.

I would recommend checking cam belt tensioners and perhaps remove the alternator belt and see if it makes the noise when idling without it. Alternator bearings can become noisy and so can the tensioners and these may be quieter when under load than when idling; hence accounting for the loss of noise at above idle.

Can't believe I missed that engine size bit!

Nick

PS I have not got time to sift through the pasts about 'tuning' but if it has had an upgraded air filter he should check that the filter cover is secure and evenly closed.

Could it be the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve ? Front and centre of dashboard and accessible when you lift the bonnet. I think my 08 Ducato has the same problem, not sure about the effect on fuel consumption, just got back from 3K+ miles to Spain and back without really noticing any problem,

I believe there are some threads around detailing possible remedies, and also a certain amount of confusion over cause and solution. I shall try to get mine sorted now we are back for a while.

cheers

alan b

Could it be the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve ? Front and centre of dashboard and accessible when you lift the bonnet. I think my 08 Ducato has the same problem, not sure about the effect on fuel consumption, just got back from 3K+ miles to Spain and back without really noticing any problem,

I believe there are some threads around detailing possible remedies, and also a certain amount of confusion over cause and solution. I shall try to get mine sorted now we are back for a while.

cheers

alan b

Although the noise is only obvious at low engine speeds it may well happen all the time but is drowned out as revs rise. Possibly an air leak out somewhere or being drawn into the braking system or even the headlamp levelling if of the pneumatic type. Its time to listen very carefully for any change while you poke an probe all the little bits of rubber tubing in the engine bay especially at connections. After ten years anything rubber based is getting old and hard.

The rise in fuel consumption might be connected but check its not the brakes binding.

Thanks for that, but i did the trip down to Portugal once with the chip disconnected. It was just the same on all fronts apart it was less powerfull.........I'm sick of putting my head under the bonnet, and chopping the end off most rubber hoses/pipes and nothing makes a difference....que sera sera............Ivan

:D

Thanks for that, but i did the trip down to Portugal once with the chip disconnected. It was just the same on all fronts apart it was less powerfull.........I'm sick of putting my head under the bonnet, and chopping the end off most rubber hoses/pipes and nothing makes a difference....que sera sera............Ivan

:D

I say this with tongue in cheek, I also have a 2.0jtd 2003 Ducato, this also has a noise which two mechanics could not trace, one thought it could be timing belt tensioners other alternator bearing. Third mechanic at first was mystified after hearing it so went around van listening, put his foot on tail pipe of exhaust and it stopped!. Cannot find any loose fittings so will live with it. Yours and mine might give a tune LOL.

Driven our X250 for 50 miles worrying about the whistling wine getting panicky thinking about big repair bill. Relived to find nothing to do with the engine I'd left the radio head unit on "Line in" from when we were using the TV the night before & it was picking up interference from the engine. (lol)

Archived