Windscreen replacement in France and Spain

plwsm2000

I thought about adding this to the other thread about safety on Aires, but it is slightly off topic.

While staying on an official Aire just south of Lyon, some toe rag threw a rock at my windscreen at 1am on Saturday night / Sunday morning.

The Aire is the type that had dedicated motorhome spaces next to a public car park. The Aire had good reviews on Campercontact (7.8 from 37 ratings) and "felt" safe as there were 7 or 8 other vans parked up. Around midnight we were woken by loud music, cars trying to do donuts in the carpark etc. and a bit later by a loud crash which turned out to be my windscreen.

Next morning I telephone my insurance company (Comfort) and was put through to Autoglass. After a couple of phone calls, I was told that Autoglass or Carglass (same company but different name in Europe) do not replace ANY motorhome windscreens in France or Spain - not even coachbuilt ones that use exactly the same windscreen as on a standard white van. The guy I spoke to knew the difference between A classes and Coachbuilt as his father is a motorhomer. He said that it was to do with the lack of training of the fitters and they have had problems in the past with warranty claims etc..

It seems I have to arrange fitting and pay for a windscreen myself and then reclaim the cost (up to £3000) from Comfort. I was also told that I need an original (Frankia) windscreen fitted to keep the warranty. Hopefully this can be coordinated with a visit to Barcelona next week with the local Frankia agent. I am expecting a fair large bill for this, but we are determined that it will not spoil our 3 month tour.

Has anyone else had to have their windscreens replaced abroad? if so, do you know if the independent windscreen companies can source OEM windscreens? Are windscreens cheaper in France or Spain?

Maybe a lesson learnt is to avoid Aires next to car parks on Saturday nights.

screen.jpg.23e60599f5f6c7ff271ec445047f19e6.jpg

There was a Frankia waiting for a windscreen replacement in the aire at manta rota 2 yrs ago had 3 screens arrive over a 2 week period before they got the right one. I'd be tempted to get a badge of some type to cover the hole and wait til I got home before getting it replaced.

We were on our way to the LeVoyageur factory in LeMembrolle in France and a stone hit the inside of the mirror which then hit the drivers side window which shattered.

I carried onto the factory and the insurance took care of everything.

It took a whole day to replace and cost a fortune.

An interesting thread here,

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Hymer-windscreen-insurance-abroad/48247/

The original saga was on the Hymer owners group, but it is a closed Facebook group.

I had a windscreen replaced last year. An A class Hymer, though fortunately at home but as a previous poster has stated it can take a while. In my case ( not the one quoted in this thread) the first screen arrived at the dealer damaged, nothing arrived in the following weeks delivery. It took a third week before a useable windscreen arrived. The van needed to sit for 24 hours after fitting to allow the glass to bond to the van. I suspect if you can hold off till your return you will have a better outcome.

Davy

Archived