Winter Sun

jobboyce

I'm sure this question has been ask Many, Many times but does any one have any suggestions for Dec, Jan, Feb sun/warmth?

We are quite active and would like a site which has a covered pool, good cycle routes access to good walking (25k circular walks) etc.

I plan to take the car with us (be it 4 wheels down or trailer) so we can get out and about.

We would be grateful of any suggestions as this would be our fir time as Snow Birds. B-)

Yes I know it's early but but the good sites will be booked quickly (by all the old hands) and we past the longest day so down hill....

fesspark - 2017-06-24 10:38 AM

Don,t think Spain or portugal are always hot in Dec,Jan Feb, This year at times it was far from hot.Got buried in snow at one stretch Alicanti area.Also very cold northerly winds did not help.

That's very true It did snow in Alacante but at the same time it snowed in many other places that havnt seen snow for 35 years just like Alacante. I was down a bit from there in Andalucia and they had snow in a lot of places including Seville, Madrid and Malaga. I remember because I had a swim in the sea in january near Agua Amarga and I wasnt wearing a wet suit. I couldnt believe it when I saw it on Spains TV news when I got back to the 'van later that day. So although it snows on the odd occasion its warmer generally than say Cleethorpes or Brighton at that time of year

You are all a CHEARY lot, snow, gets packed etc..... :-S

I was sort of hoping that the old hands at Snow Birding may offer some good suggestions for sites that you have experience of so that Yes we can book early and swim in the sea (which will be 15-17 deg) without a wet suit and may be a birthday suit :$

So, come let a new kid in on the good sites in the south of Spain / Portugal,

I'll buy you a beer when we see you at Christmas :-D

job&boyce - 2017-06-24 6:08 PM

You are all a CHEARY lot, snow, gets packed etc..... :-S

I was sort of hoping that the old hands at Snow Birding may offer some good suggestions for sites that you have experience of so that Yes we can book early and swim in the sea (which will be 15-17 deg) without a wet suit and may be a birthday suit :$

So, come let a new kid in on the good sites in the south of Spain / Portugal,

I'll buy you a beer when we see you at Christmas :-D

Try Bonterra Park in Bennicasm or Benidorm has plenty of sites-Depends what you want cheap, mid range, dog friendly etc.

If you don't have a dog, Villasol is good and has pool etc walking distance to centre or El Raco but bit farther out takes dogs.

Bit more up market but further out is Almafra-bit pricier too unless you're C&CC members-then you can book rally pitch.

Yes sometimes it's cold but if you go for 2/3 months there'll be plenty of warm sunny days

We'll be there after Christmas until end April-and come home with a tan!

Mike

Cheers Mike thats a nice cycle.

Thats what I hoped for good info to make choices, don't mind dogs, if it clean & tidy you can only get what you pay for.

Thinking of going Dec - Feb

Car on trailer so able to get about a bit.

Bob

Sugest you get ACSI discount card/book from Vicarious Book s, and decide where you want and BOOK It , as they will get full up Calpe Mar is often fully booked the previous year!! South of Valencia for the warmth in Spain, and the southern part of Portugal, not so much the Atlantic side

WWW.vicariousbooks.co.uk

PJay

PJay - 2017-06-25 12:04 AM

Sugest you get ACSI discount card/book from Vicarious Book s, and decide where you want and BOOK It , as they will get full up Calpe Mar is often fully booked the previous year!! South of Valencia for the warmth in Spain, and the southern part of Portugal, not so much the Atlantic side

WWW.vicariousbooks.co.uk

PJay

All of Portugals coast is on the Atlantic. I think you mean the west coast.

starvin marvin - 2017-06-25 2:21 PM

PJay - 2017-06-25 12:04 AM

WWW.vicariousbooks.co.uk

PJay

Yes you are correct. The bottom bit is warmer!!

PJay

Yes we can book early and swim in the sea (which will be 15-17 deg) without a wet suit and may be a birthday suit :$

If you want to bathe in your birthday suit, then El Portus in Murcia, might be the place for you. They have a covered winter pool and lots of other facilities as well.

http://elportus.com/en/

It's an ACSI site too! :-D

Can't beat skinny-dipping and relaxing in the buff - the ultimate 'back to nature' break.

If you want to bathe in your birthday suit, then El Portus in Murcia, might be the place for you. They have a covered winter pool and lots of other facilities as well.

http://elportus.com/en/

It's an ACSI site too! :-D

Can't beat skinny-dipping and relaxing in the buff - the ultimate 'back to nature' break.

Can't think of anything worse than spending time in a nudist camp!!

It was bad enough in Grand Canary some years ago on the sand dunes, BUt at least they kept out of the wind, in the dunes!!

Wonder what the illegals landing on a nudist beach would think?/ Maybe they would turn around and go home!!

PJay

mikebeaches - 2017-07-01 12:07 PM

PJay - 2017-06-30 10:27 PM

Can't think of anything worse than spending time in a nudist camp!!

PJay

Can't think why you'd say that?

Wonder what it is that causes your distaste of connecting with nature?

Envy-If I was there! :-D :-D :-D

I would be tempted to head further south than even Calpe. We are in the Mojacar area, and this is a desert climate, and definitely a few degrees warmer than the Alicante or Murcia region, and a lot drier. Certainly possible for sea swimming in the winter!

What about Morocco! Certainly warm, and although we havn't been there, I am told the campsites are lovely and safe, and to stick to them where possible.

Barcobird - 2017-06-25 6:56 PM

PJay

Yes you are correct. The bottom bit is warmer!!

PJay

It's called the Algarve (lol) :-D B-) Yes, its a shame "The bottom bit sounds better" (lol)

You are all a CHEARY lot, snow, gets packed etc..... :-S ........................

I think all folk were doing is advising a newcomer that winter is still winter even in Spain, and offering guidance so that you don't just sail off with excessive expectations and end up disappointed as soon as you arrive. It is all sound advice.

You'll also find that you hate some of the sites others love, and love some of the ones they hate. These are mostly campsites near major seaside resorts, and neither the sites, nor the resort towns, appeal to everyone. It will pay you to carefully research your choices. I think that is all anyone was saying.

brian, you are absolutely right,I prefer the true facts on the weather in area,s I have never been to,When I have complained about the inclement weather in Spain or the Algarve, The answer always comes back well it is their Winter and rightly so. Dec to April.

fesspark - 2017-07-02 4:47 PM

brian, you are absolutely right,I prefer the true facts on the weather in area,s I have never been to,When I have complained about the inclement weather in Spain or the Algarve, The answer always comes back well it is their Winter and rightly so. Dec to April.

Exactly!

But you can never guarantee the weather and what it's going to do. Through this June we have encountered temperatures approaching 40 degrees which is almost unheard of.

Our winters can be extremely nice and sometimes it does nothing but P**s down.

GENERALLY Spain and the Algarve have the warmest winter climates, however we don't have a crystal ball and you take your chance (lol)

Archived