Winter grip-mats

snowie

Having been parked on a few grass pitches recently I’d like to be better prepared in the new year.

So some feedback on available products and recommendations would be appreciated before I shell out £20-£50.

I don’t think I’ll be able to scrounge Bread-trays from my local corner shop. No doubt some of you will swear by them,

Regards

Alan b

I haven't had a lot of success with mats, although they are OK under the non-driving wheels.

I have a pair of grips which are a bit like narrow rope ladders with nobbly plastic rungs.  They are very effective, although you should roll on to them (and the matts) as you pitch up rather than as you are about to struggle to pull away.

Thanks folks, maybe a combination of tiles and mats for front and rear wheels.

One of the reasons I’m going to buy some of these is that when we were at Ely, back in November, I was parked on grass and had to crawl under the van to turn the gas on. This was ok when we arrived, but by the time we left, after moderate rain for 2 days, the front wheels had sunk about 30-40mm and I couldn’t get to the valve without getting a levelling ramp out! I was not amused! we’d booked expecting to be on hard standing, so I was a bit miffed!

Regards

Alan b

I have two sets of these

https://tinyurl.com/yamzgkd4

(Bought some years ago when they were heavily discounted.)

They reduce ‘sinkage’ of the motorhome’s wheels if the ground is soft and are large enough for levelling ramps to be positioned on top. They don’t take up a great deal of storage space and my wife DIY-ed a bag from an old shower-curtain.

• 2 weeks later...
Derek Uzzell - 2017-12-11 5:51 PM

I have two sets of these

https://tinyurl.com/yamzgkd4

(Bought some years ago when they were heavily discounted.)

They reduce ‘sinkage’ of the motorhome’s wheels if the ground is soft and are large enough for levelling ramps to be positioned on top. They don’t take up a great deal of storage space and my wife DIY-ed a bag from an old shower-curtain.

I also carry two sets of the Milenco grip mats recommended by Derek.

Just one pair saved my bacon when I sunk in very soft sand. I was so impressed with how the coped 'in anger' that I bought a second pair to give me the best chance on wet grass.

Thankfully haven't had to use both pairs, but carrying them provides plenty of extra assurance.

Archived