Winter protective cover for windscreen recommendations please.

Auds

Hi

New to motorhoming so would appreciate advice about the best external windscreen cover which can be left on van during winter months when not in use. Have seen those by Silver Screens, Taylormade etc which offer insulation and protection from sun but couldn’t work out if they can be left on the vehicle when not being used.

Thanks.

We motorhomed for over 50 years and never once felt the need to faff about with silver screens or windscreen covers, summer or winter.

As I see it unless you are sited for a long time and using the van in very cold conditions there really is no real need for losing the view or the light that they block when in use or for finding the storage space when out of use.

Why use them when the van is not in use, there is no heat to trap inside and you would deprive the van interior of any sunlight that might warm it a little.

You can't fault their marketing though!

I've got a Taylormade cover that I use mainly during winter months both at home and when away. At home during winter I keep the van plugged in and heating on to keep van warm and ready for use and find having the cover on really helps. Also when away in the van during winter months I find the cover again helps to keep the van warmer than without it. You can always drop the front panel to let the light in or let you look at the view. I would recommend one but which is again down to preference.

michaelmorris - 2018-09-14 1:12 PM

We have exterior silverscreens and we find them very useful.

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

They complete eliminate condensation build up at night, act great black outs and help keep the van nice a toasty in cold weather. However, personally, I can't see the point in putting them on when the van is in storage.

Totally agree ! Worth the cost IMO, but not necessary when stored

PJay

PAJay - 2018-09-14 7:58 PM

They complete eliminate condensation build up at night, act great black outs and help keep the van nice a toasty in cold weather. However, personally, I can't see the point in putting them on when the van is in storage.

PJay

Whilst they are very good, the full retail price of £150 or greater is pretty steep for what you get. We bought ours £60 secondhand.

I have a Soplair “Thermocover” windscreen cover obtained from RoadPro

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/brandlist/soplair-brand/03f04-thermocover-windscreen-covers

This is currently priced at £175, but I paid £25 as I had a RoadPro voucher for the rest of the money. I wasn’t sure how often I would use the cover (very seldom as it turns out) but I couldn’t think of anything better to use the voucher for.

There are cheap covers available new (example here)

https://tinyurl.com/y9az5q7x

but it would be naive to expect super-duper quality and exceptional insulation at that price. As Michael says, if a good condition good-quality secondhand cover can be found at a reasonable price, that option would be worth exploring.

When I have bothered to fit the cover I’ve found it very effective at stopping condensation forming on the inside of the cab window glass, but I don’t motorcaravan in very cold conditions when the cover would really come into its own. When condensation does form on the cab windows I don’t find it too irksome to remove it using a chamois leather and, if there’s a lot of condensation, I have a ‘window vac’ appliance that can be used initially to remove most of the condensation. These covers are bulky and I’d rather avoid wrestling with the thing putting it on and taking it off if I can.

During November through March, when my motorhome will be unused and parked outside, I neither heat the vehicle’s interior nor fit the windscreen cover.

michaelmorris - 2018-09-17 5:29 PM

Someone is selling a set of set in the accessories section

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/for-sale/accessories/silver-screen-insulated-cab-screen/980089

All very well but 'Auds' never posted what MH they have, and for that matter haven't logged on to the forum since posting so we may never know if they'd fit or not?

Auds, are you out there???

Keith.

• 2 weeks later...

If your motorhome base is a Fiat Ducato then the cover we bought made by Fiamma works very well and is easy to fit and does not move in windy conditions. It is called a "Coverglas XL Fiat Ducato Windscreen Cover". The cover is white and keeps the motorhome cool in the summer. It is not insulated. The main benefit of the cover and the reason we bought it, is the design completely removes all the Fiat Ducato windscreen leakage issues including windscreen scuttle trim panel leaks and water ingress via bonnet air intake grill which effects all Fiat Ducato's pre late 2014/15 models. Models after 2014 had modified windscreen scuttle trim panels fitted.

The cover is well made, fits in seconds and is extremely weather proof. We have used one for 3 years.

PAJay - 2018-09-14 7:58 PM

PJay

Agree too, work very well, but using them just as a winter cover is a waste, they will deteriorate very quickly and mould will form underneath them.

Archived