Winter sites in Edale

Pipkim

We have based ourselves in Castleton in the Peak District quite a few times, but have never managed to find a suitable site in Edale.

By "suitable" I mean hardstanding & power. Nothing much to ask you would think, but we really have struggled.

Any ideas?

PilgrimPhil

Hayfield Caravan & Camping Club, and walk over the hill to Edale. New Mills, several a few miles away from Hayfield, has 2 CLs - one with a toilet block and both with EHU & hard standing. New Mills also has a CS but I don't know whether it has EHU and hard standing. Seriously, I will sometimes use:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

This throws up two sites in Edale but I don't know how close they are to Edale's village centre or how good they are.

Whether those in my opening paragraph are worth considering will depend on why you want to go to Edale. I stay at New Mills every year and can walk over to Edale before getting the train back. Hayfield is a nice village with a few good pubs.

Thanks Brock,

We have "done" the Kinder ascent from the Hayfield side a couple of times - staying at the C & CC site as well as a CL called Spray House Farm. Both really too far away to access Edale on a consistent, day to day, basis.

We do use UKCampsites to search for non CC & C & CC sites but couldn't see anything really suitable using Edale as the search parameter.

New Mills is an area that we will get to eventually & the Marina CL looks to be usefully placed.

PilgrimPhil

Phil, the marina is well placed for public transport, great walks over the hills, shopping and fish and chips. You'll have to walk a bit further for decent pub grub. When my wife and I go to New Mills [i grew up there], we stay at the Marina. It's getting pricey although there are two family rooms for showers/toilet. New Mills is all hills! The only flat bits are the top of the hills.

When I'm on my own, I stay at Whitecroft Farm CL at Strines; £12 pn last year. Not as convenient and no toilet block, but it is quiet and as good as other farm CLs.

...if it's Winter and Edale you want, then probably your only choice is Coopers.

http://camping.uk-directory.com/camping/derbyshire/edale/coopers-camp-caravan-park/#gd_tab_1

I haven't used it for years and years (and then in a tent!), and reviews (at least of the facilities) are mixed, though the location is good.

No hardstandings, but reputedly "well-drained", and also supposedly open all year round, and with electric hook-ups.

Not a recommendation, simply for info.

Archived