Wireless rear camera recommendation

chas

I was thinking of fitting a rear camera to the back of the van, but have been put off by the task of getting the wiring up to the dashboard. The wireless ones advertised seem the ideal solution, but think I have read they dont work very well.

Can anyone who has fitted one of these types recommend one that works well? Thanks

I have just replaced a wired camera system in my motorhome (Fiat Ducato cab) and found that it was a fairly straightforward job. I replaced the old single camera and monitor with a twin reverse camera and 7" monitor which clips over the rear view mirror and am delighted with the result.

I purchased the kit from;

https://www.revcam.uk/

I'm not certain if they do wireless systems.

Cheers David

I added a second camera to my motorhome last year and it was fairly straightforward. Ran the cable under the m/h through holes in the chassis and into the vehicle through a newly drilled hole. Don't forget to use grommets if drilling holes. Took power from the reversing light unit and it all worked fine.

chas - 2020-09-28 9:55 AM

I was thinking of fitting a rear camera to the back of the van, but have been put off by the task of getting the wiring up to the dashboard. The wireless ones advertised seem the ideal solution, but think I have read they dont work very well.

Can anyone who has fitted one of these types recommend one that works well? Thanks

I have recently fitted an Auto-Vox W7 digital wireless reversing camera to a 7.5 metre van.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTO-VOX-Reversing-Digital-Wireless-Waterproof/dp/B07S2R5VF5/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=auto-vox+w7&qid=1601481914&sr=8-3

Install was straightforward and easily within the capabilities of anyone with DIY skills.

I fitted the power unit and transmitter in the the rear nearside light fitting (for protection from the elements) and connected the power supply to the reversing light circuit with a spade connector. It works well and the monitor comes on instantly when reverse gear is selected. It may be more difficult if your van has canbus system or if space in your rear light cluster is limited.

There are lots of You Tube videos featuring this camera and how to install it.

Resolution is adequate for a reversing camera but would not be good enough for a dash cam. Range is impressive; I connected the monitor to a power source and got a clear picture at a 100 yards from the van.

There are lots of listings for this camera on E-Bay but Amazon is the cheapest.

The photo below is of the actual image from the camera. The transmitter is in the white junction box attached to the light fitting.

van4100kb.jpg.cec6171bde454dd26b41a6c6e0d56330.jpg

van5100kb.jpg.5c46295939c23d9007182e9ec50ad304.jpg

Hi DavyS,

my cable routes on my Chausson (Fiat Ducato X250 2008 model) were as follows;

Main Power pickup was at fusebox area on RHS of van compartment just below steering wheel. My monitor was clipped on to the mirror and wires were tucked in behind ceiling lining to right hand door pillar. The trim complete with speaker is just clipped in, so that came off and I followed the existing cables down under the dash to the fusebox. I picked up existing connections there (previous wiring for old camera). My route to the rear of the van was by removal of the trims at the drivers footwell (including the footwell itself) and the plastic trim at the door pillar and handbrake trim, and then running the cable along the handbrake cable and out underneath the van. To make it easier to get the cable (and twin plug through as I was fitting twin cameras) I removed the handbrake cable from the handbrake lever. I dare say that if you had patience you could get the cable through without doing this. I then ran the cable underneath the length of the van, using twin cable ties at each chassis crosspiece, there are plenty of existing holes you can feed the ties through. I then protected the cable by feeding flexible split conduit back along its length. I was able to get the conduit back up to where it emerged from the handbrake cable hole which I was really pleased about. The only hole drilled was through the boot floor to get the cable back into the living compartment. Within the boot there was existing cable runs so I followed them as far as I could until I had a short run up the back wall into a cupboard directly behind where the cameras were mounted. The only visible part of the cable run is at the rear but as it's tucked in a corner (and glued against it) it's not noticeable. Back under the van I've secured the cable conduit onto the underneath of the van floor by a combination of screws and glue. One point to watch is that you check, prior to fixing the cable permanently, that there is no interference on the picture with the engine running. Hope that helps!

DavyS - 2020-09-29 3:05 PM

TealandSilver, I need to replace my rear view camera but are also daunted by how to run the wiring. You indicate it is simple; can you say how and where you ran the wiring?

• 2 weeks later...

DavyS

I believe you own a 2015 Elddis Accordo 105 (example advert here)

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/elddis-accordo-105-2

There will be design/technicsl differences between your Peugeot-based motorhome and David’s Fiat-based Chausson (eg. the latter’s habitation entrance door will be on the vehicle’s right-hand side). You’d also need to decide where to put the monitor (on dashboard or on rear-view mirror) and where to pick up 12V power from beneath the dashboard.

It’s common practice when retrofitting a camera system to do as David has advised and run the monitor-to-camera cable out of the cab, then beneath the vehicle’s chassis, then back into the habitation area near the vehicle’s rear and then out to a high-mounted camera.

My present Rapido motorhome has a factory-fitted high-mounted camera and the cable to it is hidden behind a false panel in a celing-level locker above the rear bed, but I don’t know what route the cable takes to the cab (above the ceiling perhaps?) I retrofitted a camera system to my earlier Hobby motorhome and the cable to the camera was run beneath the vehicle’s chassis, with the cable exiting from a locker above the bed as with the Rapido. In both cases, retrofitting a ‘wired’ camera system tidily would not have been particularly challenging for someone with reasonable automotive DIY skills.

However, Accordo 105 models evidently have a rear washroom and the on-line photos I've looked at suggest that - having brought the camera cable back into the motorhome - getting the cable to the camera from within the washroom without the end result looking unsightly might be challenging. This would be no different if you fitted a ‘wireless’ system, as a power cable would still need to be led to the the camera, so it’s something you should check out very carefully.

If you decided that it would be impracticable to run a cable to a high-mounted camera without it looking like a pig’s breakfast inside the washroom, mounting a camera lower down above the rear bumper or on the number-plate surround would be an option.

Archived