X290 replacing DAB aerial

Cruisecontrol

I'm trying to improve the variable reception of my DAB radio fitted to a X290 Autosleeper Broadway.

Firstly, in order to connect the new aerial cable the radio needs to be pulled out. I assume that the cables etc. at the rear are attached in the normal way and not having sockets into which the radio slots? (currently I'm having difficulty extracting the unit with the extractor tools- all but one of four fixing "thingys" can freed - any advice on that would welcome.)

Assuming I get the radio out I'll be attempting to fit a film aerial, as see in Halfords (https://preview.tinyurl.com/ybcztjo6). Has anyone fitted these, and if so - is the Remis blind easy to loosen and then remove the window frame cover to access to the metal ? This is needed in order to fit the copper adhesive ground plane tab.

I'm doing exactly this at the moment so here's some factual info.

Firstly to get the radio out I used four small screwdrivers and pushed them into the holes. They only need to go in an inch then sort of pull the handles to the outside to push the holding tags out of the way. I'll take some pics later.

I've looked at all sorts of additional aerials but at the moment, following advice here on the forum, am connecting to the TV aerial in the M/H. I bought a 10m length of aerial cable from Maplin and a new FM Antenna connector - you'll see on the back of the radio that there's two antenna connectors. Disconnect one and try the radio and if it works on FM, then the one you've disconnected is the DAB and vv for FM. Personally I'm not worried about crap DAB, just want to improve FM reception. Other edn of the lead I tried just connected to the TV aereil and it works fine in my garden so I'm right now running and hiding the cable through the M/H. Hardest job was getting the connector for the back of the radio, I got it from a boy racer type car shop, they call it ICE centre - In Car Entertainment - but I don't know what the cable's called

HTH, anything else just shout and good luck.

I don't know what sort of DAB antenna you have but Baileys have one installed in the corner of the overcab and many owners have reported a big improvement in signal by creating a makeshift ground plane from aluminium foil as in the pictures.

Capture.JPG.7747f909cd08cb2e13519f2250fbb37b.JPG

Success! Thanks for all your advice, managed to extract the radio using a screwdriver in the awkward hole. Fitted the "stick on" aerial and DAB comes romping in!

Fitting the ground plane behind the windscreen Remis blind is for another day - can't even see how it was installed. I'll try putting a ground plane elsewhere - so again thanks. Given it doesn't snow we're off to Chichester CCC site this weekend ,so I'll see how it all goes on the move..

Archived