X290 seat change

colgil

I'm about to swop the passenger double seat for a single on my boxer self build . I'm pretty clear on everything except the yellow electrical plug/socket on the near side of the double seat .. My.question is, how do I remove said plug, and what does it do ? Thanks in advance for any help .. Best wishes . C.

There should be one for each seat belt. When the air bag is deployed it fires a small explosive charge in the seat belt mounting which moves a piston pulling the seat belt tight to restrain the passenger.

If you just disconnect this plug it should leave the air bag warning light on - an MOT fail. So you either need to get the ECU reprogrammed to one passenger seat belt. Or connect something in place of the missing seat belt to fool the ECU into thinking its still there. A side lamp bulb or 2.2 ohm resistor should do it.

PS: If your V5 says 3 seats I suggest you send it to DVLA (by registered post in case they lose it) and get it changed to 2 seats before its MOT test. As the tester won't be able to certify it fit to carry 3 people.

And to add that if you even just turn the ignition on with the yellow plug unplugged it will, as already stated, turn the warning light on and you will need a dealer level scan tool to turn it off again. Simply adding a resistor will work to keep the light off but will not turn it off once on.

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-05-21 5:35 PM

And to add that if you even just turn the ignition on with the yellow plug unplugged it will, as already stated, turn the warning light on and you will need a dealer level scan tool to turn it off again. Simply adding a resistor will work to keep the light off but will not turn it off once on.

Keith.

That didn't happen with mine. I was running round for several days with the air bag light on. I tried shorting out the connections which made no difference. Then when I switched off the ignition, connected the side light bulb or resistor, and switched the ignition on the light went out as it should.

colgil - 2017-05-21 6:53 PM

Thanks for the prompt replies, can I ask if these experiences are applicable to my 2015 x290 base vehicle. By the way ,it does not have a passenger air bag. ATB. C.

Mine is a 2008 manufactured Citroen Relay X2/50 that does not have a passenger airbag either. The electronically activated seatbelt pre-tensioners are a common arrangement so I have no reason to think your X2/90 is different.

Ok. All done . The change over was basically four bolts . Two at the back loosened with a torx 55 ,two at the front with a standard 19 mm bit . The electrical connector that I was concerned about was connected to fresh air . I assume it is part of the loom for a passenger air bag , anyhow I put it back where it was.

I reused the bolt from the double seat to fix the new belt stalk and buckle . The most difficult job was heaving out the old double , definitely a two man job.

All of the advice on line that refers to X250's seems to work on 290's. ATB. C.

Archived