Your favourite campsite?

RussS Travel Editor

We're doing a feature in the April 2014 issue of MMM on Favourite Campsites, which will include some of the editorial team's faves as well as readers'.

So: what is your favourite site and why? A sentence or two would be very welcome and may be used in the magazine - with appropriate acknowledgement, of course.

Reply here or, if you'd prefer to communicate directly, please email me at russs@warnersgroup.co.uk

We'd also welcome your great photos that encapsulate why the campsite is so special to you.

As for me, I'm mainly looking forward to spring and visiting as many of them as possible!

R.

Hi Russ,

Our favourite camp site that has to be the Municipal at Issoire, South of Clemont Ferrand in France. It is our favourite as it has all the facilities of a 4* site. Electric, water, and grey water drain on the pitch. With recent New facilities. Motorhome drainage and topup facilities. Has park type surroundings, trees and a river for fishing.

Close to the town where all stock up facilities are available. It is also on the main A75 FREE motorway to the South of France.

Two, because they are incapable of comparison.

1 Camping Municipal le vallon de l'Ehn at Obernai in Alsace, France. Excellent, superbly maintained, fully heated facilities on the edge of an attractive and interesting Alsatian town. Well run, helpful, multi-lingual reception, separate area for motorhomes with hardstandings throughout. Baker calls. Water and electricity near all pitches. Generous, lightly shaded, pitches. Train to Strasbourg from Obernai. Good supermarkets in town. Reasonable cost, €16.29 for two autumn 2013.

2 Camping Serenissima at Oriago, Italy. Family owned with very good facilities - though the washing up sinks would benefit from hotter water! Well maintained and cleaned. Motorhome service point on site. Generous sized grass pitches. Good, but not opressive, shade. Small shop plus restaurant. Friendly, helpful, multi-lingual reception. Tends to get very busy, especially in high season. Buses to/from Venice (9 miles) or Padua (15 miles) just outside site: tickets and maps from reception. Good supermarket 4 miles, at Marghera. €26.52 for two autumn 2012 - which is cheap for anywhere within spitting distance of Venice!

Well, OK. 2 municipals, St Antonin-Noble-Val. Close to a lovely very French town (used to film Charlotte Grey), wonderful manager, site not spectacular in any way, but we always stay longer then we intended. And the municipal in Monteux, nr Avignon, likewise.

Guest JudgeMental
Camping Fornella lake Garda ...best site we have ever stayed on..it has it all, we go every year (this will be our 10th) we use it as a hub for our summer trips, might go to Croatia or wherever and stop here on way out or way back, simply to have a proper relax and good food as plenty of nice resonable restaurants around area..... lovely pools, busy family one and the quieter older one. has beach on lake for swimming, boating, nice there relaxing and reading in heat of the day as you get a nice breeze.......Reasonably priced excellent restaurant, top class facilities..some R&B bands come in a couple of nights a week, no tacky intertainment. Returning is like going home as we meet up with family and friends, our adult kids love it......it's a few miles from Salo, itself a lovely town, we cycle everywhere once there..it is hilly though!

RussS Travel Editor - 2014-01-27 5:10 PM

Excellent suggestions, thanks all. Interesting that you've nominated mostly overseas sites!

Would anybody care to contribute a favourite picture of their favourite campsite? Probably best by email to russs@warnersgroup.co.uk

Thanks again B-)

Just do your job and write an article instead of asking us to do it for you. Favourite sites are always subjective, get real or check out.

Guest Had Enough
starvin marvin - 2014-01-27 6:38 PM

Excellent suggestions, thanks all. Interesting that you've nominated mostly overseas sites!

Would anybody care to contribute a favourite picture of their favourite campsite? Probably best by email to russs@warnersgroup.co.uk

Thanks again B-)

Just do your job and write an article instead of asking us to do it for you. Favourite sites are always subjective, get real or check out.

What a very unpleasant and unnecessary post.

Had Enough - 2014-01-27 6:50 PM

Thanks again B-)

What a very unpleasant and unnecessary post.

I agree Frank;

Where on earth did that come from?!

So Starvin Marvin doesn't want to share his favourite sites!

That's no excuse for the unpleasantness.

I agree with Russ; some good suggestions, and worth sharing

regards

alan b

Corky 8 - 2014-01-24 5:56 PM

Ours would be  Camping Sainte Claire , Neufchatel en Bray, lovely well kept site really clean Toilets, a new Aire for Motorhomes, also a Supermarket, Aldi and Lidl all within walking distance.

http://www.camping-sainte-claire.com/

Another vote for Camping St. Claire, as our favourite FRENCH site & not forgetting their on-site bar / restaurant, plus cheap fuel at nearby Le Clerc (the nearest supermarket)

In Britain the cc site at Kendal (used to be called Low Park).Very pretty, lovely walks, dog friendly pub, what more do you want? In France I think its Bien Assise near Calais.We have been using this ite for years at the beginning and end of our hols.Very pretty, very good facilities and a short walk into Guines which, while quite ordinary we know well.

flicka - 2014-01-27 10:28 PM

Ours would be  Camping Sainte Claire , Neufchatel en Bray, lovely well kept site really clean Toilets, a new Aire for Motorhomes, also a Supermarket, Aldi and Lidl all within walking distance.

Another vote for Camping St. Claire, as our favourite FRENCH site & not forgetting their on-site bar / restaurant, plus cheap fuel at nearby Le Clerc (the nearest supermarket)
Hi, stayed a couple of times on this site and on the 'aire' last year. Would definitely recommend for stopover but couldnt see the benefit of any longer.Judge,- checked out the website of your 'garda' site and must say that looks very inviting, the sort of place you could unwind for a decent length of time,cheersderek

Guest JudgeMental
derek pringle - 2014-01-28 9:35 AM
flicka - 2014-01-27 10:28 PM

Hi, stayed a couple of times on this site and on the 'aire' last year. Would definitely recommend for stopover but couldnt see the benefit of any longer.Judge,- checked out the website of your 'garda' site and must say that looks very inviting, the sort of place you could unwind for a decent length of time,cheersderek
I'm going to regret that post!*-) While it would be lovely to meet up with you Derek :-D If they publish it in MMM? its hard enough to get on there anyway! We have to book by Christmas to get a summer slot as it is!:-SHow about giving Starvin Marvin a break..might of been a bad moment, and I agree to a small degree with what he means...

Thanks again B-)

Did you read the OP? Said they wanted FAVOURITE campsites, both editorial and from READERS! Do you want them to invent the most favourite readers sites ? I don't , I want to hear what other campers regard as their favourites, if they are willing to share.

Russ, you say why all the overseas/continental sites!

Probably because as we have found, fine weather is almost guaranteed during summer months.

Another reason, In the UK we have stayed at some well kept and pleasant sites, but, when we put up our awning we usually get a visit; 'Have you paid for that awning' What!! never get that on the continent. Rent you pitch and you can almost do what you will, within reason!

Russ a couple of sites for you

1) CC Uttoxeter Race Course

Handy for town 15 min walk,

handy for trains

Brilliant for dog owners who have the whole infield area of the racecourse in which to walk their dogs.

Kinloch Camp Site Dunvegan Isle of Skye. Beatiful location on the water's edge looking up the loch with a very friendly owner/warden.

Millburn, Isle of Skye, Isle Of Skye IV55 8GU

Phone:01470 521210 www.kinloch-campsite.co.uk/?

Eddie

Mine is a Welsh site, but as they say ,if I tell you I will have to kill you, so not much help really, but it is surprising that so many choose to be surrounded by Johny foreigners . Myself, location location is the main rule and of course one dresses to suit the weather.

Ask any seasoned world traveller, and they will always say this country beats them all. I believe them.

It takes all sorts (lol)

Archived