Zig LED’s not working

npjrogers

Mk5 smiley based camper-van. New to us. Leisure battery showing full charge. Zig LED indicator not showing green or red. Where did I start? Checked that leisure battery was charging by testing with voltmeter.. OK. Checked behind Zig panel.. showing 3.9volts Leisure.. Car Batt not connected to Zig.. thats ok (Don't want to run Starter Battery down)

Answer.. Checked Leisure Battery terminal connections.. discovered the +ve was loose and dirty.. cleaned them both positive and negative.. now all good..

Diagnostic clue.. if both led’s are not lighting up there is a fault between the Zig and Leisure Battery. As there was 3 volts I knew it was not open circuit so had to be either earth fault or Battery Terminals..

hope this saves someone from a sleepless night of worry.

Happy camper

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Nick.

My first motorhome was a 1996-built Herald “Templar” based on a Ford Transit Mk 5 with ‘smiey face’ front.

That vehicle was fitted with electrical equipment made by Zig Electronics, but the control-panel had a swinging-needle type of battery-condition gauge and I don’t recall there being LEDs to show the battery’s state of charge. The Herald’s battery-charger (also Zig-made) was separate from the control-panel, but Zig produced several different panels and I notice that the CF8 combined panel/charger has battery-condition LEDS

https://www.widney-leisure.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Zig-CF8-ZRM0489-Isue-C.pdf

so perhaps that’s what your camper has.

Zig products were aimed primarily at caravan usage and, when Zig equipment was fitted to a motorhome, it was normally only possible to employ the motorhome’s on-board battery-charger to charge the leisure-battery. In such cases the usual practice was to install a ‘battery balancer’ (example here)

https://www.outdoorbits.com/Brochures/Battery_Master_Customer_instructions.pdf

that was easy to do with my Herald as the starter-battery and leisure-battery were conveniently located under the bonnet.

Archived