a frame towing chevrolet spark

bikey

Hi all,

local garage selling chevy spark for £5995 brand new with air con, am looking for small runabout for the wife, but also to tow on a frame, anyone got one of these? also does anyone tow one.

please lets not debate a frame towing, this subject has had enough forum time

We seriously thought about getting one last year but decided against it in the end, there are much better built small cars out there for the same price, or cheaper. For example, MIL has just bought a brand new Suzuki Alto for £5995 as they are on special offer from Suzuki at the moment. Although it doesn't have air-con and is the base model, it is a lovely car to drive and very comfy, and I think would tow much better than the Spark.

I mentioned to hubby about you looking at the Spark and he told me that he's seen ads for the Peugeot 107 'Access' 3-door for £5999 at Pentagon Group:

http://www.pentagon-group.co.uk/new-cars/peugeot/107

Or if you want some of the extra toys the 'Active' version is only another £500! :-D

Might be worth a look as these are seriously under the usual new price! :->

Mel B - 2014-01-18 6:20 PM

I mentioned to hubby about you looking at the Spark and he told me that he's seen ads for the Peugeot 107 'Access' 3-door for £5999 at Pentagon Group:

Or if you want some of the extra toys the 'Active' version is only another £500! :-D

The Chevy Spark is quite a good little car AFAIK all are 5 door, I would start at £5000(for 1.0l model) and if dealer doesn't at least come down to £5500 walk and get it elsewhere.

I notice that you asked a similar question last November.

Magazine reviews aren't wonderfully complimentary

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/chevrolet/spark-hatchback/summary/25889-5

and the minimum 'target price' (£6395) is close to your local garage's £5995.

I would have thought that, as long as your wife finds a Spark comfortable and practical, it should be OK. But I'd certainly want to check before purchase what's involved in modifying a Spark for A-frame towing. I'm doubtful that, when a small car of this type is being towed behind a motorhome on an A-frame, the motorhome driver would be able to say that one make/model tows better than another.

(GM is withdrawing the Chevrolet brand from Europe, but this withdrawal won't begin until 2016.)

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2014-01-18 6:20 PM

Agree......one of the most established small cars for A frame towing and that is a good price.......a bit long in the tooth now and not as good as newer competitors, but at that price a no brainer IMO

The Chevvy Spark looks to be the same car as the Vauxhall Agila and the Suzuki Splash ? minor differances, rear doors have proper handles etc., but same in all but name. Hired several through Enterprise not a bad 'runabout' 1 litre model a bit underpowered I thought,even for a 'runabout'.

As for towing on an A-frame, I am having my Toyota Yaris (my everyday car) converted next month, already have a 'Car-a Tow' frame, (nearly new, on E-bay, a lot less than the 'new' price) we got fed up with Hiring, always from Enterprise, cheap enough but not always convenient or easy. Ray

It should be stating the obvious, but adapting a brand-new car to be towed via a A-frame will almost inevitably compromise the vehicle's warranty. Car warranties will normally include a condition on the lines of "no unauthorised modifications must be made" and I can't see any car manufacturer authorising adaptation for A-frame towing.

Adaptation usually involves the addition of a hefty metal frontal structure to carry the A-frame attachment 'eyes'. Should a car suffer, say, transmission or suspension/brake problems within its warranty period, a car manufacturer might well feel justified in considering these to have resulted from the towing method. Even if the frontal structure were removed before any vehicle inspection was carried out, the structure's past presence is likely to remain very evident.

Bikey - hubby's just found a comment on another forum that Chevrolet are pulling out of the UK market so are heavily discounting their Spark models and other too so you can definitely do better than the price your local chap is selling for, for example on the Motordepot site you can get a 2014 1.0L LS model for £4990 - saving £3885!!!!

www.motordepot.co.uk

Archived