adding C1 to driving licence if over 70

david.pollitt

Yes you can do it but it takes them absolutely ages. You have to get the Doctor to fill the D4 form in. All 8 pages of it Then I also had to get the optician to check my eyes and send a form off. Next it was the treadmill and even after all that it took months to get mine back. They did say I was ok to drive in the meantime but I had no new licence and they wouldn't commit themselves to say whether I would be covered for driving abroad so you can't take the risk. We are sticking to 3500 kgs now. It's not worth the hassle.

Good luck

I am sure if you have passed 70 and had a new licence it is now a case of passing that class again. I retained mine but it was a bit of a problem and cost . The doctor caused the main problems by not filling in the form correctly which made the DVLA return the forms . If you are going to retain the class start as soon as you can so any problems can be sorted asap. good luck

I reach 70 next year so I've been doing my homework. DVLA send you the forms 56 days before your birthday and you cannot submit them before that. Could eb problematic if you want to get away on a long tour.

Fortunately you can get ahead of the game if you wish by getting the medical done a bit earlier because the medical form remains valid for four months from the date of the doctor's signature. Getting the Me Form D$ can be done on line from DVLA but you cannot get them from Post Offices any longer, not even big ones.

tomag - 2014-08-11 8:28 AM

Hi Stuart have downloaded the information booklet INF4D but where do you download the forms for the doctor to fill in as all I seem to find is the information book

They don't make it easy and if you order the driving licence application pack, even the HGV one, the D4 doesn't come with it! Presumably they expect the doctor's surgeries to stock them but I wouldn't rely on that happening.

This link gets you to a pdf copy of the medical form:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/203049/D4.pdf

which presumably you could download and print if you wish.

But you can also order a printed copy to be sent to you from the website and I found it once but couldn't find it again when I looked today. It's hidden away somewhere though!

You could probably ring DVLA to ask them to send you a copy and their 03... number at least are genuine local charge rates. 0845 numbers do of course get charged at premium rates.

I been doing a bit more digging and found this website page, which allows you to order any form, seemingy even if you don't know the form number:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/driver_9_36.html

and there a whole host of options to email the relevant part of DVLA here:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/index.html

But it is a bit like chucking a paper aeroplane into the wind, hoping hat bureaucracy will deign to respond within a reasonable timescale - and they don't tell you how long they might take to reply.

I ytried the link posted above to ask for an advance copy of Form D47P and received the following reply, the following working day:

"Thank you for your email received on 11/8/14. I am unable to send a D47P as these are system generated, although I can send a D2 application form which will also allow you to renew. You will also receive a D4 medical examination report.

Please note your application may be rejected if you apply more than 3 months before that licence expires. If you do need to send the application earlier, please enclose a covering letter stating the reasons why. Please allow two weeks to receive the forms."

So it looks like they might well accept an early application, providing you explain why you need it - for example that you plan to be abroad when the forms would ordinarily reach you and be submitted. And you can apply for renewal up to 3 months before your birthday (rather than the 56 day point when they send out the forms) if you wish. And it can take them up to two weeks to send you forms, once you have asked for them.

Archived