additional heating on Fiat Ducato

Laika.brian

Hi, I am new to this forum. We have just purchased a Laika ecovip classic 2 (2007) year, The Ducato chassis has an additional heating system in the habitation area (sited under seat behind the passenger seat, which runs from the cab heater, A switch to the right of the steering (RHD) were the mode controls for the dash are is pushed and a solenoid under the cab heater is meant to open to allow coolant through and a fan is also meant to come on. this is how I think it works is this correct? if so anyone know the number and position of the fuses, relay/ relays used to control it? The Laika operators manual gives a fuse (F6) on the board behind the drivers seat as been for the additional heating , checked the fuse bells ok, no power at the holder. anyone has any info / wiring diagram please?

Welcome Brian

I can perhaps shed a little light, I have a Laika Kreos 3010 year 2004 from new. My habitation heating system ( whilst driving) works as you describe - with a heater matrix located under the rear of the longtitudinal dining seat. This has a fan located behind it and blows heated air out towards the lateral (seat belt fitted) rear seats when used .

However when I looked into this some years ago, I found out the facility was simply Laika extending the optional Fiat built in cab auxiliary heater with a pair of longer rubber flow/return hoses and relocating the Fiat heater matrix into the aforementioned habitation area. So rear passenger heating is switched on/off with the original fiat cab switch located on the RHS of the central row of rocker switches.

Yes, once switched ON the switch illuminates, a solenoid opens letting engine coolant flow around the rubber hoses, and finally 12v is sent to the fan.

I have not retained wiring details, but the wiring/fusing is standard Fiat .

Silicongyro,

Thank you for the information, I have checked the feeds to the solenoid and the fan and no power to these which leads me to think it may be a disconnected relay or some thing of that nature, cant check the switch its self because its is part of the mode select system for the dash( time settings etc.) as it is not an essential system a relay could have been used some where else. also because the switch is contained in the controls for the dash it would not be able the run large current therefore would think it should be set to bring in a relay.

Brian

As a further point, I have just remembered why I got involved with the heater in the first place ! The fan did not operate to blow air through the matrix. The solution may also be an issue with you....

The wiring to the fan was a flex cable and this joined the Fiat cab wiring under the plywood flooring strip between the cab floor and the habitation floor. When I looked at the choc block connector, the Laika cable fell away -wires corroded ! However when I attempted to strip back the Laika flex to expose fresh copper - however far I went back along the cable the copper strands were blackened and brittle. I replaced the whole flex cable to the fan.

So Laika had fitted twin flex cable which internally corroded - I don't know why but maybe the plastic was acidic ? However I suspect my vehicle was not the only one to use this batch of faulty cable............

Good Luck

Again thank you,

I have found some information regarding a optional unit containing fuses and relays in the (RHS) pillar behind drivers seat here is the relay for the solenoid & fan and I shall start at this point.

I have a technical back round and have found that issues have a habit of repeating so if one has it most often others will also. I will post an update when I have had a look .

Issue resolved,

With the aid of information received found unit inside a cover on RHS door pillar opposite the hand brake lever for RHD models, this unit has 3 fuses and two relays ( from this pillar area I believe connections to the motorhome unit are also made) , removed each fuse inspected and cleaned contacts and refitted, same with relays, the system is now working as it should, supplying hot coolant to the heater matrix and the fan blowing hot air. Note not much room to work, I removed the plastic moulding from around the handbrake lever and after removing the two screws at the pillar cover was able to hold it back to do the work, just about.

Archived