bad starting fiat 2.8jtd

frank shepherd

Frank,

So the engine does start but then you get a screeching noise?

If so that sounds like a slack FAN belt. If the CAM belt wasn't turning then the engine would not run!

The fan belt will be slipping as the alternator will be putting a considerable load on it trying to recharge the battery.

Try attaching a single jump lead from the battery NEGATIVE terminal directly to the engine metalwork (eg lifting eye) and see if it starts any easier. If it does then you need to replace the engine earth lead.

Keith.

it's not starting now as it did first thing this morning...I switched off as soon as I heard the 'screeching noise'...I understand there will be belts under the plastic cowling inc cam belt etc but I cannot see the operation of these because of the cover...I am not essentially capable of physically getting underneath the van to check out connections, earth, starter etc....It seems there may be 2 issues...1) the poor turning of the starter motor and this may be either the motor or the earth/connections.....and 2)... the 'screeching noise....slipping belt or worse a broken or damaged bearing...(alternator/starter?)...your suggestion about changing the earth cable temporarily sounds reasonable but do I at the same time disconnect the existing battery cable at the same time....?

Several folks have made the same suggestion about the starter motor being 'goosed'....would this account for the noise this morning and it's the first time it has made that screeching sound....?...also...the earth cable from the battery warmimg up?...it's the first time I have encountered any problems with this apart from recent poor turn over of the starter motor...although it has up until today...always 'caught up' the engine and she has always fired up.....and then run sweetly after that...fingers crossed, my mechanic turns up today and goes straight to the culprit..

Its hard to diagnose without hearing it, but, the screeching noise could be the axillary belt that not tight enough and slipping, this could stop the battery getting enough charge and why you have a stuttering starter ( by stuttering I'm thinking more of a clicking sound) add to this the warm earth lead which reinforces my thoughts but its in addition to the first one.

Try another earth lead but leave the original one in place, and consider a service.

Frank gave an explanation in an un-titled new thread so I have copied it here to complete this thread...

frank shepherd - 2020-01-15 3:04 PM

2.8tjd bad starting..... Problem sorted....! or rather the cause has been sorted....Seized alternator....turning over showed mechanic that the belt was skimming around the seized pulley....hence the 'screech' and the resistance to turning over....the solution?...cut the auxillary belt freeing off the pulley seizure issue...start engine and drive 2 miles to garage to have new alternator and belt fitted..hopoefully should resolve the problem...! not too dear but equally still an expense...Thsanks to all for your advice and help..

PS And sorry but I accidentally deleted Bishbus's double thread. :$

Keith.

thebishbus - 2020-01-15 4:35 PM

Thanks Keith . I wondered where it had gone to. Try again. Strange the 2.8 seems to be fussy about aux belt tension . I find that to stop mine from screeching I have to have it tighter than I would normally expect. or maybe it is just mine.?

Brian B.

Presumably there’s a recommended torque setting for the tensioner bolt. No idea what it is though.

No mention of torque setting in my maintenance book. It states a deflection of 4.5-6.5 mm at the belt centre between the water pump and alternator pulleys after 15 mins running ,but then goes on to say after replacement it should be checked at a garage with a tension measuring instrument.

Brian B

ps This is a two stage test on the belt itself.

If the screeching goes on after the starter's disengaged and the engine's running, my money would be on water pump issues, but tbh any mechanic should be able to diagnose correctly once he hears it running.

The fact it's a m/h is totally irrelevant. Pop it in to your local garage with an "ere mate whatcha fink this noise is then"

Archived