carpets

cathythomas

No disrespect but are you sure this is what you want? If you want to have 'fitted carpets' then you will need fixing studs and of course every piece of wet grass or mud will get stuck on them. Having had a motorhome yonks ago with fitted carpets we swore, never again as they were a nightmare to hoover. Now we have plain floors and some throw down mats. These can be taken outside, shaken or even washed and the floor itself is easily vacuumed or washed.

Sorry, but it is one thing our EU cousins have got right, in our minds at least.

We too prefer carpets, the floor is warmer, you can choose your own style and it can help to deaden road noise if you are lucky.

Needless to say thick pile carpet is a touch of luxury but it can be hard to keep it clean - but even a thin and pileless 'Flotex' type is worth the effort in our view.

I don't clip the carpet down and I detest the converter supplied type of mats that come in badly fitting sections and never reach the edges or butt together properly.

So we buy a piece of suitable sized carpet off the roll and I trim it to butt fit against all the locker and cabinet sides so it cannot go anywhere and the floor is totally covered - and a suitable offcut makes a good doormat.

I have never bothered with binding but I do seal the edges all the way round with heat (heat gun or gentle blowlamp!) and I find that too works well with the end result looking like it was meant to be there.

We also have a Devon and were fortunate that when we picked it up from the factory we spent some time in Durham where we found these carpet people Bound2Fit

http://www.durhammarkets.co.uk/?p=101&t=28

had you got a Monte Carlo they would already have the patterns that we provided.

Gillian is most helpful give her a call. You just send a full size pattern made from paper, we used an old roll of lining wall paper, that exactly fits your floor area and they do the rest. You tell them what colour you want and they will send you swatches, a week later you get your carpet that is a perfect fit with bound edges. All for less than £100 in our case.

We gave Peter Gowland one of their cards should any future purchaser require carpets as I know their policy is not to supply them as they say most customers don't have them.

Must admit we are with Tracker on this one, wouldn't have a van without them. We also think that, along with ovens the EU people have it completely wrong.

Bas

• 1 month later...
ham - 2016-05-17 6:37 PM

I went to my local carpet store, bought an off cut and cut fitted myself . loose fitting it can be lifted out and givrn a shake.

We like to have carpets available and the choice to use them or not. Our Chausson came with some quite thin cut and bound carpets that, I have to say, were neither hard wearing nor fitted that well. So we did the same thing and bought an off cut of domestic carpet that matched our upholstery and colour requirements, cut it to fit and laid it loose. The advantages are that, apart from not costing the earth, it can be removed but dies not move about as you walk on it and does not require studs to locate it. Usually cleans/vacuums better than the supplied ones and when it needs replacing we can just do the same again. Finally, the originals are kept safe and clean ready to go back in when we change the Motorhome.

David

We replaced the carpets in our last MH and got a local carpet supplier to fit a single piece; he did a good job and the arrangement worked, although in that MH we didn't have any underfloor access points to worry about.

Ideally you would have several pieces of carpet, loosely fitted and with bound edges - but finding someone who  could bind the edges of carpet was problematic.  I did spot someone at a Show some years later but failed to take note of who they were.

Most carpet these days is of man made fibres that melt when heat is applied, so a light naked flame from say a cigarette lighter or very gentle blowlamp run around the raw edges is generally enough to seal it and largely prevent any fraying without blackening or damaging the carpet.

If you have not done this before it is worth experimenting on an off cut first, but it works for me, looks good and costs nowt!

cathythomas - 2016-06-21 10:04 PM

Thank you Basil for your reply. We are very interested since we live in the North East. We have tried to ring but not managed to get through yet. How long ago did you buy your carpet.

Hi, we bought ours in June/ July 2015, we also returned to Devon's in March 2016 and Bound2Fit were still in the market then. They do do a really good job, it is possible that Gillian is out on calls measuring up as they fit house carpets as well, she has a mobile number that I currently have mislaid, when I find it I will post it.

Just found their card:- Gillian Franklin 07825083369

There is a further mobile but that one is for Gillian who I dealt with.

Basil

Archived