chausson technibox water filler cap

andy mccord

Hi All

Im about to pick up my new Chausson in early march & I was wondering about the water filler cap in the chausson technibox, I have a HEOSoloution cap for My benimar, but it looks like the cap from the technibox water filler is threaded? Can anyone enlighten me if this is the case?

Regards

Andy McCord

My 610 with the Technibox has a screw on cap.

Not the most user friendly filler system - the swing out spout doesn't have enough "fall" & water tends to run back out of it when filling, particularly when using a watering can to top up.

I hope that Chausson built yours better than they managed with mine !

Nigel B

Andy

It’s plain from the lower of the two attached photos that the filler-cap of the Technibox’s water reservoir is female-threaded.

If you could source another identical-design filler-cap, it should be practicable to adapt this to take a Hozelock-type hose connector as some forum-members have done with conventional caps rather than purchase the HEOSafe filler-cap. However, the water being put into the reservoir would still need to negoiate the right-angle elbow where the swing-out filler joins the reservoir.

If you really wanted to fill up the reservoir very rapidly, you’d need to get the hose to reach right up to the elbow or (better still) right round it.

technibox1.jpg.de2638de0520555e64c89d3b9b5e9823.jpg

technibox2.jpg.98f17b958b249e635f2ce97a27dc6305.jpg

"If you really wanted to fill up the reservoir very rapidly, you’d need to get the hose to reach right up to the elbow or (better still) right round it. "

That is how I fill mine when using a hose - push the hose around the swivel joint corner into the tank. I guess that there must be a breather somewhere to let air in to replace the water in the tank as it is pumped out, but seem to think that the air displaced by incoming water comes out of the filler spout - not sure how blanking the end of the filler spout with a "fast fill" device could allow that ?

Andy - if your dealer has not already fitted one, a visit to Toolstation for a 15mm "push fit shut off valve" to replace the "push fit stop end" that Chausson use as a fresh water tank drain "valve" makes draining down easier by avoiding the glug of water up your sleeve removing the stop end (on your knees, grovelling under the side skirt).

Nigel B

It’s likely that Chausson does fit a breather to the water-reservoir used with the Technibox arrangement, but this would not be too difficult to confirm experimentally if a visual check proved to be inconclusive. Start by filling the reservoir until it is approaching full by putting the hose-pipe into the tank as you’ve been doing. Then pack ‘stuff' around the hose where it enters the filler and finally seal with duct tape around the end of the filler so air cannot escape from the reservoir. Then (carefully) continue filling the reservoir. If the reservoir has a breather, filling it completely should be easy: if it hasn’t you’d soon find out!

Obviously, if the reservoir does not have a breather, merely grafting a Hozelock-type fitting to an extra screw-on filler cap won’t be a practicable proposition. but if the cap + Hozelock-type fitting has on its inside a length of hose-pipe long enough to reach into the water-reservoir and the cap is vented, ‘unattended’ fast filling of the reservoir should be achievable. HEOSafe used to offer two water filler caps, one for tanks with a breather and another for tanks without - now HEOSafe markets a ‘universal’ filler cap. When people used to DIY-adapt a standard filler cap to take a Hozelock fitting, it was necessary to establish whether the reservoir had a breather and, if not, to suitably ‘vent’ the filler cap.

In practice, as it’s possible to feed a hose-pipe around the filler’s elbow, reasonably rapid unattended filling could be carried out by just ‘tethering’ the hose so it could not be spat out of the filler when the water pressure is high.

Someone on MotorhomeFun forum came up with a cheap ingenious way of tethering the hose to the filler. Think it was Minxy Girl (aka Mel).

She used the wire from a coat hanger and bent the last 5mm to 90°. Then drilled an appropriate sized hole in the side of the garden hose (probably about 500mm from the end of the hose). Inserted the end of the wire in the hole and secured it in place with insulating tape wrapped around the hose. The other end of the wire was bent to latch onto a convenient anchorage point. In the OP's case, this could be the inside frame of the access hatch.

As they say, there's more than one way to kill a cat (lol)

Our 630 chausson also has the impossible to fill screwcap.Watering can method is a long job. plus any hose method will result in a backwash. But i'm on holiday so who cares how long it takes.But if one of you clever people out there come up with a solution then i'm in.As for build quality chausson are alright. but like em all takes a long time to put it right if there's a problem.Why dealers never seem to to carry an assortment of common parts in stock is strange. 8o|

andy mccord - 2019-02-20 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies

so my HEOSafe filler-cap is useless on this outlet...great! Nige, you are not filling me with confidence re build quality, i presume the diameter is a lot larger than a standard screw on hozelock adaptor?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy I just drilled the original cap and fitted a male hozelock adapter to it and a plastic nut to the rear and have had no problems with it but watch and not overfill as some say it will flood to the inside haven’t had that problem but beware mines is a 2017 530 Edd

In my posting of 20 February 2019 7:29 AM above I said "It’s likely that Chausson does fit a breather to the water-reservoir used with the Technibox arrangement” and, unless the filler-spout’s black plastic screw-on cap is vented (which - although possible - seems unlikely) the water-reservoir must itself be vented. Otherwise, when water were pumped from the reservoir into the motorhome’s water system a vacuum would form within the reservoir.

The screw-on cap may well be a standardised product marketed for fitting to plastic ‘jerrycans’. The caps are available (in France) in various sizes and colours and there’s an example here that matches the apperarance of the Technibox’s cap.

https://www.identipack.com/fr/produits/fermetures/fermetures-din-51-din-61/120120

..............................................................................................................................................

sunbeam

With your Hozelock adapter approach, isn’t there the possibility when driving that water will come back up the filler-spout and exit through the adapter? Modifying the cap to replicate the HEOSafe approach as you’ve dome is fine, but I think I’d want to remove the modified cap after filling up the water-reservoir and reseal the filler-spout with an unadapted cap.

I thought my Carthago fresh water tank wasn't vented because couldn't see any overflow/vent pipe exiting the top of the tank.

However, I was doing a bit of DIY under the kitchen sink and noticed the drain pipe had a Y branch. One side going to the sink outlet and the other disappearing up the side of the kitchen work surface to a 45° boxed out corner panel.

So, I'm now confident I have a vented tank but no overflow. However, the absence of an overflow does prevent any water draining out whilst traveling (lol)

andy mccord - 2019-02-25 12:03 PM

Interesting....Im with you derek, it must be vented, but thats the route im going down to drill my cap, I will fit it with a double ended hozellock stop ends on a small length of pipe and leave it connected to the cap to stop it swilling back out of the cap

Andy

Andy I just put a small stop end over the male hoselock fitting on the cap I think it came off a roll of plastic plumbing pipe

Robbo - 2019-02-25 1:53 PM

I thought my Carthago fresh water tank wasn't vented because couldn't see any overflow/vent pipe exiting the top of the tank.

However, I was doing a bit of DIY under the kitchen sink and noticed the drain pipe had a Y branch. One side going to the sink outlet and the other disappearing up the side of the kitchen work surface to a 45° boxed out corner panel.

So, I'm now confident I have a vented tank but no overflow. However, the absence of an overflow does prevent any water draining out whilst traveling (lol)

Are you sure that the sink’s drain-outlet is connected to your Carthago’s fresh-water tank? It’s not that unusual for a sink/wash-basin outlet to have two ‘branches’, with one branch leading to the waste-water tank and the other branch being a pipe/hose that leads upwards so that its open end finishes well above the level of water in a fulll sink/basin. Rapido has used this approach on some models and its purpose is to allow air to enter the outlet when the sink/basin is being emptied and speed up the draining process.

As I said above, a fresh-water tank needs to ‘breathe’ to avoid a vacuum forming within the tank as water is pumped out. Breathing will normally be via a vented filler-cap or via a vent fitted to the tank itself and, in the latter case, the vent will act as an overflow when the tank is being filled.

Where a fresh-water tank is filled via a standard ‘hole in the bodywork’ filling-point and a garden-hose, air can enter the tank through the filling-point and, when the tank is approaching completely full, water will begin to pour out of the filling-point. This is a ’safe’ arrangement as the rate of water being put in the tank through the hose will inevitably exceed the rate of water that can exit the tank through the vent/overflow.

The risk comes when the filling-point is closed off by an unvented HEOSafe-type product as air and water can no longer leave the tank through the filling-point and, even when the tank has a vent/overflow, the amount of water that can leave the tank through that vant/overflow will be unable to match the amount of water that can pass through the HEOSafe-type fitting.

Sunbeam warns “...watch and not overfill as some say it will flood to the inside...” but to assess the risk of that happening it would be necessary to know how Chausson has vented the Technibox water-tank.

A possible alternative to adding a Hozelock-type fitting to the filler-spout cap would be to add the fitting to the tank’s large-diameter black plastic access hatch and leave the filler-spout cap off while refilling the tank.That way air could leave the tank through the filler-spout and there would be no chance of the tank being stressed however high the water supply’s pressure. Plainly, using that method would mean that the tank could not be completely filled and there would need to be a non-return valve on the Hozelock fitting, but it’s an option. Me, I’d get another filler-spout cap that I could DIY-modify with a Hozelock-type fitting, and only fit that cap on the spout when filling the tank.

charleydog - 2019-02-20 2:15 PM

Our 630 chausson also has the impossible to fill screwcap.Watering can method is a long job. plus any hose method will result in a backwash. But i'm on holiday so who cares how long it takes.But if one of you clever people out there come up with a solution then i'm in.As for build quality chausson are alright. but like em all takes a long time to put it right if there's a problem.Why dealers never seem to to carry an assortment of common parts in stock is strange. 8o|

A bit late but here is my solution. It's just a normal hand spray bottle with the top cut off. Cut a hole near the bottom to take a 5" length of 35mm plastic water pipe and glue in place. Bind a length of rubberised tape around the pipe where it meets the filler hole when pushed in to take up the slack and make a good wedge fit which won't move when pouring. It takes about 30 seconds to pour in 10L at that pipe diameter and I have never suffered from any reverse flow problems. Also, if you source a spray bottle with a maximum 90mm width it will fit handily into the Techbox for storage. Incidentally, the same contraption was used with our previous IH panel van so I would imagine that it would work with most vehicles.

Ron

PS. There was supposed to be two pics added but they have not materialised. Will try again.

• 2 months later...

Hi ( Chausson 728EB 2017)

I'm new to this site, but thought I would just add that the screw cap for the freshwater tank filler is an IBC s60 x 6 size. If you google this you will get lots of results of caps with hozelock fittings, and other taps etc attached, as it is a standard cap.

Cost approx with hozelock fitting £6 (inc postage.)

So lost caps are easy to replace.

I bought 2 with male hozelock fittings, which makes filling the tank easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived