discharging leisure battery

the crumblies

Having just gone to my 07 Nuevo for the second time this week, to find the leisure battery flat, I was preparing to replace it. An MMM reader (September p200) described a discharging battery, so I did some checks, and sure enough it is discharging at 0.43 amps, even with the master switch off. There is no additional electrical equipment fitted, and everything was turned off, including the fridge (Dometic, manual selection) and TV amp. Looking at the individual fuses, it’s the green 30A habitation system fuse that’s drawing the current, so that’s not very helpful, could be anything. The fridge relay and the changeover relay are identical, so I swapped them, no change. Suspiciously, the hab fuseholder has burned out previously, and been replaced by a cheap & nasty inline holder, so maybe this isn’t a new problem – with regular use, and nearly always with mains hookup, I may never have noticed it. Curiously, with the mains plugged in and charger on, as you add load (turn lights on etc) the current drawn gets less, so maybe the leisure battery is trying to charge the vehicle battery??? I checked that everything was properly connected, relays pushed fully home etc.

Anyone got any ideas, please? Scan of circuit diagram and pic of fuse block attached.

Best wishes from a crumbly ‘vanner.

:-S

1778621712_07nuevofuses.JPG.4958c11dad2910b681ebfaed985060a6.JPG

Well, here we are again (yawn) after laying awake thinking about how to isolate this fault to a particular component. Just in case anyone is interested enough to respond, here (I hope)- is the basic circuit diagram. I've compressed it as far as I can without making it unreadable (108k), I hope it uploads OK this time. The diagram is generic and a bit misleading, eg it doesn't show the fridge relay, but the fridge is switched off and I don't think it is a stuck relay.

so, which of the many experts is prepared to have a go on this one, please?

Thanks in hope from a very tired crumbly.

Those that can, do. Those that can't make up 99% of the population.

Yes I have, and I will. It's not the same since that chap retired. Trouble is, I suspect that the original agent has been fiddling; the radio wiring was all messed up, the burned out fuseholder and other clues. Of course I may have to take it back to Willersley, but it's in my blood to fix things myself, with a little help from my friends....

Hi Crumblies,

Half an Amp discharge equates to 6 watts which is a 'normal' sized bulb used in a locker or interior light. Have you checked all the wardrobe, cupboard, locker, glove box and other interior lights to make sure they are turned off?

I see on your wiring diagram there is a 'Step light' could this possibly be the cause? It might be worth looking around inside at night in the dark for any glow of a light left on.

Keep us informed of how you get on and I'm sure more suggestions will follow.

Keith.

Try going back to basics, first remove fuse that connects to charger or disconnect charger if possible, this will eliminate a charger fault that could be draining the battery.

Remove each fuse in turn checking the current draw.

This way you should be able to isolate it down to one particular circuit.

Once you have established which section of the circuit is drawing the current you can then disconnect each item on that circuit and hopefully find the culprit.

Archived