door mirror replacement 2009 Ducato (save more than 200)

crosbiei

HYi folks

Just thought I'd share this one as it's a good saving.

Ok the eurotour in the mondial summer 2010. coming through England on the way out to dover a cement lorry cleaved off the driver side door mirror.

Scared the bejeessuueezz out of us and smashed the housing and shatterred the mirrors.

bugger never even slowed down or stopped even though he was clearly oveer the white line by some margin

Needed to get to the ferry so just headed on down.

got to France and looked on ebay and spotted one for 89 pounds.

Thought oh well could have been worse.

Went to a local car parts place and got stick on mirror panels to do until I got back. Using mostly passenger side mirror anyway I thought.

Got home, took off the mirror (after dismantling the door) to get the Fiat part number.

Rang NI trucks and was told Oh that's the mirror with all the extras on

Extras ?? on a mirror???

Heated glass

Electric adjustting motors

Temperature sensor etc

So it was goind to be ---------- 260 plus vat plus fitting @ 70quid

did a bit of googling and found same part, delivered next day (complete with the part numbers on) for 160 complete

Fitted myself in an hour

hope this helps others out there

http://www.allpartssouthwest.com/acatalog/Special_Offers__Ducato_81.html

Iain

crosbiei - 2010-08-17 8:11 AM

HYi folks

Just thought I'd share this one as it's a good saving.

Ok the eurotour in the mondial summer 2010. coming through England on the way out to dover a cement lorry cleaved off the driver side door mirror.

Scared the bejeessuueezz out of us and smashed the housing and shatterred the mirrors.

bugger never even slowed down or stopped even though he was clearly oveer the white line by some margin

Needed to get to the ferry so just headed on down.

got to France and looked on ebay and spotted one for 89 pounds.

Thought oh well could have been worse.

Went to a local car parts place and got stick on mirror panels to do until I got back. Using mostly passenger side mirror anyway I thought.

Got home, took off the mirror (after dismantling the door) to get the Fiat part number.

Rang NI trucks and was told Oh that's the mirror with all the extras on

Extras ?? on a mirror???

Heated glass

Electric adjustting motors

Temperature sensor etc

So it was goind to be ---------- 260 plus vat plus fitting @ 70quid

did a bit of googling and found same part, delivered next day (complete with the part numbers on) for 160 complete

Fitted myself in an hour

hope this helps others out there

http://www.allpartssouthwest.com/acatalog/Special_Offers__Ducato_81.html

Iain

Very valuable info. Thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi all, to anyone thinking of replacing a damaged wing mirror on a later motorhome, I hope that this will help. After wiping off the nearside mirror on my Peugeot Boxer based MH, I went to Ebay for a replacement as the price new seemed to be over the top. The nearside mirror on my Boxer contained a combined aerial for a satnav, and the radio, and the electric motors. A thick black cable for the motors, a thin black cable for the radio and a single yellow cable for the satnav. The mirror that I got off Ebay, though it looked the same did not have the radio and satnav mods. Most of the later MHs from different makes seem to use this type of mirror. My replacement came from a Fiat…. To replace the mirror, at least on the boxer, you need a thin flat tool like a trowel or wallpaper scraper to lift the trim around the front window on the door. Start at the front, the thin part of the panel sloping from the top of the door to the bottom of the window. This has three metal push in lugs near the top and two black plastic push pins at the lower end. At the very top and at the bottom in the middle are pieces of Velcro. Pull the trim at the front and top and bottom, away from the door frame then slide the whole trim piece forward. There are three more metal clips at the rear. If like me you should lose one of the black plastic clips Peugeot do not list them as replacements but use a two part clip in its place, a yellow piece to push into the metal of the door and a white plastic clip fitted to the trim that pushes into the yellow piece. You also need to remove the speaker fitted to the door; this allows you to get at the connectors which are just to the left of the speaker. From the above you may be wondering about the radio aerial, I took the aerial and cable from the smashed mirror and mounted it into the trim upright when I put back the door trim. The radio seems to be alright. "A" (£70 on Ebay)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
athiest - 2010-09-23 8:46 PMHi all, to anyone thinking of replacing a damaged wing mirror on a later motorhome, I hope that this will help. After wiping off the nearside mirror on my Peugeot Boxer based MH, I went to Ebay for a replacement as the price new seemed to be over the top. The nearside mirror on my Boxer contained a combined aerial for a satnav, and the radio, and the electric motors. A thick black cable for the motors, a thin black cable for the radio and a single yellow cable for the satnav. The mirror that I got off Ebay, though it looked the same did not have the radio and satnav mods. Most of the later MHs from different makes seem to use this type of mirror. My replacement came from a Fiat…. To replace the mirror, at least on the boxer, you need a thin flat tool like a trowel or wallpaper scraper to lift the trim around the front window on the door. Start at the front, the thin part of the panel sloping from the top of the door to the bottom of the window. This has three metal push in lugs near the top and two black plastic push pins at the lower end. At the very top and at the bottom in the middle are pieces of Velcro. Pull the trim at the front and top and bottom, away from the door frame then slide the whole trim piece forward. There are three more metal clips at the rear. If like me you should lose one of the black plastic clips Peugeot do not list them as replacements but use a two part clip in its place, a yellow piece to push into the metal of the door and a white plastic clip fitted to the trim that pushes into the yellow piece. You also need to remove the speaker fitted to the door; this allows you to get at the connectors which are just to the left of the speaker. From the above you may be wondering about the radio aerial, I took the aerial and cable from the smashed mirror and mounted it into the trim upright when I put back the door trim. The radio seems to be alright. "A" (£70 on Ebay)

I would like to thank the contributors of this thread for saving me a lot of time. I was just about to strip the door down when I read this.

All I would add is that on my 08 Fiat the cable was not tied but not long enough to be pulled out without being disconnected. I removed the speaker cover disconnected the cable loom at the plug, attached a length of wire to pull the new plug and loom back through the door and pulled it out. Picture of plug attached.

Edit: The only other problem i had was the Fiat replacement had a locating spigot at the bottom and this needed to be reduced in length for my door.

1829690639_DSC02092reduced.jpg.a70395a49e8c4c0acfdf2df2e5c9078a.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

Good find! have added to favorites :-D

anyone know where I can get Fiat type (no drilling) rear mudguards for a Ducato van?

• 4 months later...

Hi all

just wanted to say thanks to the contributors of this thread.

I had the driver's door mirror on my new Boxer based van smashed by another motorhome straying across my side on the narrow part of the A82 going round the top of Loch Lomond (good tip - pull your mirror in on that stretch).

I'm not big on DIY but this thread gave me the confidence to do this job myself and it worked out very well.

Cheers!

Hi y'all, I'd like to add to this. Sometimes it's just the glass that goes, happened to me recently, an over-friendly builder's truck on a narrow road, didn't have time to pull the mirror in...

Broke both offside glasses, £170.00 plus fitting (yep, that's just for the glass) from the main dealer. Found a great company, "wing mirror man", who supplied both glasses by return for £50, correct type with heater etc. When I called their tech support, they also gave me detailed fitting instructions. The job took 20 minutes and the hardest bit was getting the old shattered glass off. Thoroughly recommended.

find them at www.wingmirrorman.co.uk, or 0161 763 0800 or email: sales@wingmirrorman.co.uk

Best wishes!! :-D

• 3 years later...

Archived