everyone off to scottish highlands then?

spirou

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what happens when society itself becomes corrupt, no one obeys anything and severe measures have to be introduced. There's been a glimmer of this in the past by second home buyers.

It eventually leads to a military controlled state.

Let’s talk about just one of the people who has ‘escaped’ to the hills to ‘socially distance’ themselves. Let’s call him Brian. Brian has been at work all week, he isn’t lucky enough to work at home. Brian eats the lunch he carefully prepared at home on Tuesday, at his desk. Tom the cleaner cleaned Brian’s desk on Monday evening, but Tom had spent the weekend getting smashed in various pubs with his mates. Tom didn’t know it but he was infected. Before Tom cleaned Brian’s desk, he coughed into his hands. He doesn’t care about COVID-19 because he’s young and he believes it wont affect him. Whilst cleaning Brians desk he sheds some of the virus onto Brians keyboard. Brian has been using his keyboard all morning, and he just started eating his sandwich. Brian is now infected, but he wont show symptoms for another week.

Fast forward to the weekend and Brian decides, because he’s fit and healthy, he’s going to climb Snowdon with his wife. They arrive at Pen Y Pass after a 2 hour drive during which Brian shared some of his water with his wife. Brian is literally a virus incubator right now and if she hasn’t breathed in the virus, she’s covered in it, it’s only a matter of time. Brian pays his £10 parking charge using the machine and off he goes. There’s lots of lovely virus on the machine now, waiting for the next person...and the next...and the next. Brian and his wife decide to take the PYG track and it’s really busy. It’s so busy in fact that on the way up he has to wait in a queue to go over the stile at the Crib Goch junction. Brian isn’t wearing gloves today because the weather is nice and walking keeps you warm. He’s feeling a little more fatigued than usual though. Over the stile they both go, innocently shedding virus as they do. He’s sweating quite a bit and keeps wiping his face with his hand. At several points they have to put their hands on rock, the same rocks everyone else has to. Finally though, they get to the top, yay! They both have to wait in another queue to get onto the summit trig, which they touch, because it’s a kind of ritual. They don’t think about the 1000 other people who will do the same after them today. On the way down Brian’s wife takes a little tumble and twists her ankle. Mike, a local, comes over to offer assistance, which Is gratefully accepted. Mike and Brian support Brian’s wife to the bottom, Brian shake Mikes hand and they depart. Under normal circumstances Brian would take his wife to a minor injuries clinic, but they know the NHS is under strain because of the virus, it’s probably only a light sprain anyway, so they dont bother, they’re doing their bit to help by not going to hospital. Brian doesn’t know that he’s just infected countless people, and they don’t know either. Brian thinks what he is doing wont harm anyone and he goes home really happy with himself that he’s only doing what the government told him to do.

On the way home he really begins to feel rough but thinks he’s tired from the walk, so he stops for a coffee at the Shell garage in Betws Y Coed and gets himself a costa express coffee. After he’s chosen his drink using his bare hands on the touch screen, he uses some hand gel, because, he doesn’t want to catch the virus! He’s a responsible citizen though, so he keeps his distance from everyone else in the shop, 2 metres!

Brian has no idea he’s just unleashed a plague on North Wales in spectacular fashion.

Stay at home folks. Don’t be Brian.

I'm not going to judge anyone as it's counter-productive and somewhat hypocritical coming from me. What I have a problem with, or rather I'm puzzled, by people (not just those touring in MH) who think they're getting away by going to exact same places and exact same time as many others.

I've been going on hikes and easy bike rides nearly every day, I've skipped on ski touring for now and gave up on rock climbing altogether, but I choose my destinations based on not interacting with anyone other than possibly my kids and dogs. It's actually fun finding new, low key, very unspectacular trails where I see more wild animals than people. The latter only at a distance. With spring getting into full swing there's also loads of stuff to collect in the woods like wild garlic & asparagus.

But along the way, and through (social)media I keep noticing people all hitting the same trails, same parks, same climbing areas, same everything and often the photos show masses of people who apparently believe they're "isolating themselves".

So I'm not going to say stay home in general. Stay home if you think the city park on a sunny afternoon is going to be empty. Stay home if you think you're going to be solo on Pyg trail mentioned above. Stay home if you think a ski resort car park will be just your MH and millions of stars above.

Billggski

Perfect description, which should be read by all the idiots who have been in North Wales, let alone to climb Snowdon whether they have travelled by Car Motorhome Bike Motorbike Hitch -hiking or walking during the last few weeks Tack on to that any other Tourist area in the British Isles and Europe

Geeco - 2020-03-22 9:06 PM

Those that did not go to Ben Nevis went to Bondi Beach. Looks like we go into a form of lockdown tomorrow, we are a couple of weeks behind Europe with the ramp up. cheers,

Link to SBS News

(link shortened - Keithl)

Not before time Gary...that is assuming they value their lives. Italy, France, Spain and UK have all been slow to react and now paying the penalty. South Korea introduced large-scale testing and tracing very early on and as a result have had just 104 deaths.

Some Brits are still ignoring advice though as these pictures show from this weekend.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-brits-ignore-advice-pack-21734689#source=push

jumpstart - 2020-03-23 6:48 AM

Just saw a photo of a standard ...Welcome to Devon...sign. It read ....You are NOT Welcome to Devon.

So F**K off until covic 19 is over , Cornwall don’t want you either.

May we take that your own plans of a few days ago to drive to Cornwall have now been modified or was it just a wind up?

Just saw a photo of a standard ...Welcome to Devon...sign. It read ....You are NOT Welcome to Devon.

neither does Yorkshire Derbyshire East Anglia Birmingham Wales Northumberland Kent . In fact avoid everybody because your not wanted.

I dread to think what sort of person thinks they own Devon & Cornwall and have the right to say who goes there.

Spare a thought for those living on top of one another in cramped housing, or just in cities where it would be impossible to go out and maintain the 2m safe distance.

The only way they can maintain a safe distance when they go out is to go to a less populated area.

If you go in a motorhome and it looks crowded, just move on to where it isn't.

I wouldn't let anyone tell me I can't go - on principle.

Public property like roads is for EVERYONE,not just the selfish few who try to steal it for themselves.

Who buy or rent private property and think that gives them exclusive right to public property as well

(sorry for shouting but its important, a fundamental right, and I don't know how else to emphasise it)

John52 - 2020-03-23 9:03 AM

I dread to think what sort of person thinks they own Devon & Cornwall and have the right to say who goes there.

Spare a thought for those living on top of one another in cramped housing, or just in cities where it would be impossible to go out and maintain the 2m safe distance.

The only way they can maintain a safe distance when they go out is to go to a less populated area.

Public property like roads is for EVERYONE,not just the selfish few who try to steal it for themselves.

Who buy or rent private property and think that gives them exclusive right to public property as well

(sorry for shouting but its important, a fundamental right, and I don't know how else to emphasise it)

The fact that our roads are in public ownership doesn't make it safe or sensible for anyone to make unnecessary journeys anywhere at the moment because of the Government's advice and travelling to Cornwall simply to exercise your personal rights wouldn't get much sympathy from me at the moment.

And unless you have already offered your spare rooms and your rainy day savings to these deserving people in cramped housing and those you're assuming have insecure income, I should quit preaching for a while. We're probably all doing our bit in one way or another in the present circumstances and I doubt that the selfish food grabbers and those pushing others out of their way are all rich people either.

Hi

I live in Stirling rather than the highlands, but motorhomers have treated this weekend gone like a bank holiday weekend! Our reputation further north was already in tatters, the sudden influx of 'self-isolators' to the highlands has damaged this still further. The guidance is plain and simple, stay at home, do local stuff.

- Local shops cant cope with unexpected demand

- You are carting the virus into area's which had been mostly virus free

- These area's have a larger than average population of old folks

- The local healthcare provision struggles to cope with natives, let alone incomers even in 'normal' times

It really is irresponsible in the extreme to be 'holidaying' away from your primary residence currently, and if folks don't behave then we will be forced to behave.

Thankfully, the 2 big clubs have shut down their sites network as of yesterday, other sites have followed, the facebook update from Sango Sands says it all really.

Hope I am preaching to the converted here anyway!!

"Sango Sands Oasis

19 March at 09:02 ·

Due to people still arriving and driving onto site we are now blocking up the entrance.

I can't stress enough that we have elderly and vulnerable in our village and we want to try and keep them as safe as possible.

This includes the person who phoned from Manchester to tell me he was coming up overnight. What part of closed do you not understand.

The sooner we all act responsibly the sooner it'll all be over and we can get back to normal.

I know it's going to be difficult but it's out of our hands. Be sensible and stay away from the NC500 for the moment, it'll still be here for you to enjoy after this has all blown over"

Scotland will still be here with its warm welcome when this all blows over!

StuartO - 2020-03-23 7:44 AM

May we take that your own plans of a few days ago to drive to Cornwall have now been modified or was it just a wind up?

My plans change a week ago, delayed Mallorca till Oct ,but even that may be too soon, spoke to the CL in Cornwall and we agreed probably wasn’t a good time to go there . Seemed sensible.

You clearly haven’t been paying attention to various Hospital staff all saying ...Please stay put.

I saw photos of staff with placards saying... We stay here to save you. Please would you stay home to save us....

jumpstart - 2020-03-23 12:24 PM

You clearly haven’t been paying attention to various Hospital staff all saying ...Please stay put.

I saw photos of staff with placards saying... We stay here to save you. Please would you stay home to save us....

You clearly haven't been paying attention. Nobody is suggesting carrying the virus into NHS hospitals. Just going somewhere remote to self isolate. If someone is able to drive up to the highlands and isolate themselves in a motorhome thy are hardly likely to be infected. And if they are, its better that they are somewhere sparsely populated where they can maintain a safer distance apart than they can at home.

This is just local people being selfish. 'Our local businesses are shut so we can't make any money out of you. So we don't want you to use the public areas here - we want to steal your public owned areas to keep just for ourself. At least until our businesses reopen and we can start fleecing you again.'

John52 - 2020-03-23 2:45 PM

You clearly haven't been paying attention. Nobody is suggesting carrying the virus into NHS hospitals. Just going somewhere remote to self isolate. If someone is able to drive up to the highlands and isolate themselves in a motorhome thy are hardly likely to be infected . And if they are, its better that they are somewhere sparsely populated where they can maintain a safer distance apart than they can at home.

'

...up to 14 days incubation period, and possibly 5 to 7 days of symptoms....

As of today, no-one symptomless knows whether they've got it, and no-one who develops the disease in that timescale knows what the outcome of any infection is going to be.

Meanwhile, if you have any contact anywhere you might be spreading the virus, and if you are in the early stages of incubation, if elderly, quite likely to require attention in an ICU within a couple of weeks, or at best, some robust external support..

The Highlands are more sparsely provided for than most places (due to distances between places and a sparse population). Best take the blinkers off and display some of that social conscience you keep calling for, and support staying at home.

jumpstart - 2020-03-23 12:24 PM

You clearly haven't been paying attention. Nobody is suggesting carrying the virus into NHS hospitals. Just going somewhere remote to self isolate. If someone is able to drive up to the highlands and isolate themselves in a motorhome thy are hardly likely to be infected. And if they are, its better that they are somewhere sparsely populated where they can maintain a safer distance apart than they can at home.

This is just local people being selfish. 'Our local businesses are shut so we can't make any money out of you. So we don't want you to use the public areas here - we want to steal your public owned areas to keep just for ourself. At least until our businesses reopen and we can start fleecing you again.'

I can see you are clearly missing the point ,but then I think you are doing it on purpose just to be difficult.

Your argument is full of holes, big enough that most people on here can see why people are asked to stay.

Anyone going to the Highlands is an idiot. At the best of times the health service across the Highlands is sketchy, anyone falling ill and needing hospital treatment may well need transporting many miles, also there are 18 ventilators across the Highlands.

Unsure how that quite works. To be a complete non-danger to the natives, and to avoid overloading local heathcare provision you have to be 100% self-reliant!

- Have enough food in your van for your stay

- have enough water in your van for your stay

- Have enough capacity in your cassette for your £*$^£%^£

- etc

As soon as you visit the local shop, local campsite, local toilet block the whole concept of remotely isolating in your van becomes worthless; you become the drain on local services, the risk to local people and the drain on local healthcare provision that you claim not to be.

Anyway, the decision is likely to be taken out of our hands very soon.

The sort of person telling you to stay away from Devon and Cornwall is like most if us SCARED. They're scared for the lives of their loved ones, arent you because I am. I'm scared that either I or my wife or my family might get infected by some idiot who thinks they have the right to do what they want and sod any one who says anything else. You ho and enjoy yourself and dont worry about the rest of us, dont want to spoil your day.

Archived