fiat 2004 immobiliser

gp1

Havent bothered to use immobilser due to not having code card. If i write to fiat will they send me one? Whatis best? Use it and hope i dont lock engine permanently? Or use 3rd party immobiliser ? Or just use crook lock and tracker? What is the best cheap gps tracker?

Hello,

You have me a bit puzzled.

You don't have any choice about using the Fiat immobiliser. It automatically responds to a code in the key and it either works or does not. If it does not, you will see a padlock symbol on the instrument panel and the vehicle will not start. If you require a code card, your local Fiat dealer can apply for one (for a fee).

Nick

Great thats good news. The card (or key?) is supposed to be kept with the motorhome but it has been lost. I was given a couple of those little immobiliser pads which go on the key ring you press the big button to lock (?) And the small for the other. I havent used these and assumed this was the immobiliser. Ive just been manually locking with the key in the keyhole of the cab. Thanks for your your info im pleased about that. I will ask a fiat dealer to arrange it. Cheers.

" I was given a couple of those little immobiliser pads which go on the key ring you press the big button to lock"

That sounds rather like an aftermarket alarm / immobiliser. Is there a little numeric keypad somewhere close to & accessible from the drivers seat ? My first van (a 2003 Ducato) had a Sigma alarm with a "key theft" feature - this was set & reset with additional keyfob pads on the keyring, but if you didn't start the engine within seconds a code had to be entered via the keypad (mounted near the rear view mirror on my van) before the engine could be started. There was a 3 colour Led (mounted on the instrument binnacle on my van) that showed the alarm / immobilser status - IIRC it was Red = alarm set, Green = Ok to start & Amber = Keycode required to start.

AFAIK the Fiat immobiliser system has no buttons - a pick-up in the ignition switch unit makes contact with the key wirelessly when the key is inserted. The Fiat code (from a card supplied with the vehicle) is only entered if key can't be read as a bypass to get you to the dealer to investigate & fix the problem.

Nigel B

Ok. So after i lock the van some kind of immobilser is started? Not the kind that if you try to open the door handle an alarm goes off. But something to stop people hot wiring the van? I dont have any key pad inside the van. So does that mean now i have 2 immobilisers to worry about? I wouldnt know where to get hd of this third party company if something did go wrong with the little 2 button keypad fob thing on my keyring. I suppose i could ask fiat dealership about that when i contact them about the code / card/ red key thingy. Cheers thanks for info.

As an aside i bought a bluetooth tracker in bargain shop for 5 99. I read on the box it could be used for vehicles im sure but when i got to site its not suitable as bluetooth has only limited distance. Also the reviews said it was rubbish and almost impossible to use.

All fairly modern vehicles have a factory immobiliser built in to the starting system. The ignition key has a coded chip in it, which is interrogated by the vehicle when you switch on the ignition. In simple terms, the vehicle checks that the key is the correct one for the vehicle. If it is, it allows the vehicle to be started. If not, it doesn't.

The Code Card isn't supplied with UK market Fiats as an anti-theft precaution, since it contains information which if left in the vehicle, could make it easier for a thief to steal it. It is only needed if you have to add or replace a key, in which case you can either get a new key from a Fiat dealer (who will contact Fiat in Italy direct to obtain the necessary information) or you can ask them to order you a card at your cost and go elsewhere. Do not leave a Code Card in the vehicle!

Are you sure that your button fobs are linked to an immobiliser? They may just be an aftermarket fitted central locking system if the buttons lock or unlock the doors when pressed.

You also mention enquiring with the dealer about a red key. This was part of the older Fiat key and immobiliser system, which had two different types of key, keys with a blue fob for everyday use and a red master key, which was used to program additional keys to the vehicle.

That system changed in 2002 I think, so shouldn't apply to your van if it is a 2004 model. All of your keys will be identical. If you need to add another key or delete a lost key, it is done by the dealer or an automotive locksmith using diagnostic software.

Yes that could be what they are! Central locking. Will give them a try. Now i feel more confident i wont be locking myself out of the van forever or that it wont start - as the immobiliser is already being used every time the key gets put in tje ignition - ill give them a try. Thankyou very much

gp1 - 2018-06-19 4:56 PM

Yes that could be what they are! Central locking. Will give them a try. Now i feel more confident i wont be locking myself out of the van forever or that it wont start - as the immobiliser is already being used every time the key gets put in tje ignition - ill give them a try. Thankyou very much

Hi

Can I ask where you bought your van/ Private or a dealer?

The reason I ask is you seem not to have been given a very good hand over.

As we are now back from our tour, we are going to put our van up for sale. I was going to try private, so that we could explain all the bits to the new owner. I hope you enjoy your van as we have over the years

PJay

Yes it was private the man wasnt very technicaly minded he said the thing in the wardrobe was an inverter but have just discovered it isnt. Its a transformer. Anyway i kind of thought it was better to get to know him rather than the van ! Well there wasnt much to see. It looked clean and tidy. Engine not bad lookijg. Drove fine. Interior clean. He couldnt show me fire working cos such a hot day he said the thermostat would think it was too hot already. But we got on fine and he offered to take it back if there was anything seriously wrong. We found out our dads probably worked together in engineering at the same office. He used it for cycling in french alps so was more a cyclist than a motorhome person.

Archived