fuel leak Ducato 2.3 M-Jet

Kandy

A lot of discussions about this in the past. The fuel filter casing is very difficult to seal after the filter is changed. The simple fix is to buy a complete new casing and filter for about £70 from ebay and its then a ten minute swap over.

This has been a well known problem for years. The fuel filter casing is plastic and has to be replaced using a 3 pronged tool.If this is not used,the casing can distort and won’t make a good seal,hence the leak.

It happened to me two years ago.......fuel everywhere!

Thankfully the garage who looks after our van had the correct tool,so no problems since then.

Peter.

The fuel-filter leakage issue with Ducato X250 models was discussed here:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Ducato-Fuel-Filter-Replacement/39103/

Received wisdom seems to be that, even if the correct tool and procedure are used to change the filter’s cartridge, there’s still a fair chance that leakage will occur. So it’s preferable (as Billggski has said above) to replace the complete housing that will have a new cartridge inside it.

(It’s stating the obvious, but if the leakage does not relate to the fuel-filter unit, then swapping the unit won’t fix the problem. Unless it’s certain the the fuel-filter unit is the culprit, it would be advisable to seek professional advice about this fault.)

Changed my fuel filter two weeks ago using "thr tool" and genuine UFI filter element (£6.50 from Lookers in Liverpool)

Took me about 30 mins as I was following instructions by Dave on youtube and the screen saver constantly interupted

Only time will tell if successful but as these filters are fitted to thousands of vehicles Fiat, Suzuki,Vauxhall etc without any major issues I wonder why motorhomes have this leakage problem

Ray

Watched the how to video on Dereks link

Mechanic unscrewed the filter ring by hand and then after fitting new element refitted usung hand tight only with the filter body instu

Then a warning tighten properly or it will leak

Draw your own conclusions

Ray

Just to continue the "google" game

List of equiv and fittings for the filter in question

EQUIVALENTS:

BluePrint ADL ADK82327, Bosch 1457070001, N0001, Citroen 190698, Coopers Fiaam GUD FA5757, FEM4238, Crosland 4036, Fiat 77362340, Fram C10026, Hengst E83KPD140, In-Line Filters FF30227, FFRC10026, FFR-C10026, FINFF30227, FIN-FF30227, Mahle Knecht KX208D, Mann and Hummel 1027587S01, PU723X, Motaquip VFF500, Peugeot 190697, Suzuki 1541084E00, 1541184E50, 1541184E60, UFI Sofima 60H2000, 60H2O00, S6H20NE, S6H2ONE, Vauxhall GM 813569, 93181377, 93816473, Wix WF8366

APPLICATIONS:

Citroen Jumper 2.0 Litre Turbo Diesel HDi DW10UTD 1997cc 84bhp, Jumper 2.2 Litre Turbo Diesel HDi DW12UTED4 2178cc 100bhp, Jumper 2.8 Litre Turbo Diesel HDi DW12TED 2798cc 127bhp, Relay 2.0 Litre HDi, Relay 2.2 Litre Hdi(DW12UTED 100bhp Engine), Relay 2.2 Litre Hdi(Puma 22DT 100bhp Engine), Relay 2.2 Litre Hdi(Puma 22DT 120bhp Engine), Relay 2.8 Litre Hdi Turbo Diesel(DW12TED 127bhp Engine), Relay 3.0 Litre Hdi(F30DT 156bhp Engine), Doosan Daewoo Epica 2.0 Litre Diesel VDCi 150bhp, Fiat 500 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel 16V(JTD 1248cc 75bhp Engine), Croma 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel JTD 120bhp, Croma 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel JTD 150bhp, Croma 2.4 Litre Turbo Diesel 20V JTD 200bhp, Doblo 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel 16V JTD 1248cc 70bhp, Doblo 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel 16V JTD 1248cc 80bhp, Ducato 2.0 Litre Turbo Diesel JTD, Ducato 2.2 Litre JTD Multijet 2198cc 100bhp, Ducato 2.3 Litre JTD Multijet 2286cc 110bhp, Ducato 2.8 Litre JTD(8104.43N 146bhp Engine), Ducato II 3.0 Litre Diesel JTD Multijet 2999cc 157bhp, Idea 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel 16V JTD 1248cc 70bhp, Idea 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel 16V JTD 1248cc 90bhp, Idea 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel JTD 1910cc 100bhp, Multipla 1.9 Litre JTD Multijet 1910cc 115120bhp, Panda 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel 16V JTD 1251cc 70bhp, Punto 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel 16V JTD 1248cc 70bhp, Punto 1.9 Litre JTD Turbo Diesel 85bhp, Punto 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel JTD 1910cc 100bhp, Ford Ka II 1.3 Litre TDCi 75bhp, Peugeot Boxer 2.0 Litre Turbo Diesel HDi(DW10UTD 1997cc 84bhp Engine), Boxer 2.2 Litre Hdi(Puma 22DT 120bhp Engine), Boxer 2.2 Litre Turbo Diesel HDi(DW12UTED4 2178cc 101bhp Engine), Boxer 2.8 Litre HDi(8140.43S 146bhp Engine), Boxer 3.0 Litre Hdi(F30DT 156bhp Engine), Saab 9-3 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel 1910cc 120bhp, 9-3 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel 1910cc 150bhp, Suzuki Swift 1.3 Litre DDiS Turbo Diesel(Z13DT 1248cc 70bhp Engine), SX4 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel(D19AA 1910cc 120bhp Engine), Wagon-R 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel DDiS(Z13DT 1248cc 70bhp Petrol Engine), Ignis 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel DDiS Z13DT 1248cc 70bhp, Splash 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel DDiS 75bhp, Vauxhall GM Zafira 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi 120148bhp(Petrol Engine), Zafira 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi(Z19DT 120bhp Petrol Engine), Zafira 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi(ZD19DT 1910cc 100bhp Petrol Engine), Agila 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi Z13DT 1248cc 70bhp, Agila II 1.3 Litre Diesel CDTi Z13DTJ 1248cc 75bhp, Astra 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi 1248cc 89bhp, Astra CDTi 1.9 Litre 120/150bhp(Petrol Engine), Combo 1.3 Litre CDTi(Z13DT 75bhp Engine), Combo 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi 1248cc 70bhp, Combo 1.7 Litre CDTi(Z17DTH 100bhp Engine), Corsa 1.3 Litre CDTi Turbo Diesel 1248cc 70bhp, Corsavan CDTi 1.3 Litre 1296cc 16V 70bhp, Meriva CDTi 1.3 Litre 16V DOHC 1248cc 74bhp, Signum 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi 118bhp, Signum 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi 150bhp, Tigra 1.3 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi 70bhp, Vectra 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi 1910cc 148bhp, Vectra 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi(Z19DT 1910cc 100bhp Petrol Engine), Vectra 1.9 Litre Turbo Diesel CDTi(Z19DT 1910cc 120bhp Petrol Engine), Corsa(1.3TDCi Engine)

Do they all leak?

I have no idea but googling diesel fuel filter leaks produces problems for all makes and all types of filters

However motorhomes seem to crop up in all ufi or filter leak searches

Food for thaught

Airstream - 2018-07-14 10:32 AM

Changed my fuel filter two weeks ago using "thr tool" and genuine UFI filter element (£6.50 from Lookers in Liverpool)

Took me about 30 mins as I was following instructions by Dave on youtube and the screen saver constantly interupted

Only time will tell if successful but as these filters are fitted to thousands of vehicles Fiat, Suzuki,Vauxhall etc without any major issues I wonder why motorhomes have this leakage problem

Ray

I believe that there are only 3 things needed to ensure that a filter change on one of these plastic housings is successfull.

1. the correct tool and accompanying torque wrench

2. mechanical sympathy

3. common sense

Thankfully I possess all 3 so feel no need at all to buy a complete new housing each time nor to carry a spare and am fully confident that these words won't come back to haunt me 8-)

Airstream - 2018-07-14 3:44 PM

...However motorhomes seem to crop up in all ufi or filter leak searches

Food for thaught

It may well be the case that a GOOGLE-search for on-line references to UFI fuel-filter leaks does retrieve entries relating to motorhomes, but that may simply be because motorcaravanners have become aware that these filter units are a UFI-branded product.

If you search for fuel-filter leakage entries relating to makes/models of vehicles that are not used as a base for a motorhome conversion (eg. Vauxhall cars) but have the same UFI filter unit as Boxers/Ducatos/Relays you’ll find similar complaints.

For any motorcaravanner contemplating DIY-changing the cartridge of the type of UFI fuel-filter referred to above, the following links describe the procedure in some detail

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/357165-x250-ufi-fuel-filter-service-part-i.html

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/357166-x250-ufi-fuel-filter-service-part-ii.html

The 2-part ‘tool’ that’s advised be used when replacing the cartridge is marketed under several brand-names/part numbers (on-line asking-prices vary considerably)

Draper 38601

Laser 5843

Blue Print ADK85502

Blue Print offers a YouTube video-clip showing replacement of the cartridge of the same UFI filter-unit fitted to a Suzuki “Splash” car.

So you think the UFI filter-unit is not easy to access on a Ducato... ;-)

I have heard it suggested that it might be more reliable to take filter housing off, remove filter, replace with new: and then tighten casing top on the bench to aid alignment etc, and then reconnect fuel lines.

Was suggested by a mechanic, and I think this is how it was done on my van a few weeks ago. Ok so far

Snowie

Obviously remove from bench and install under bonnet..... just to be clear!

Removing the filter is very simple as it is just slotted into a metal cradle, the inlet and outlet pipes are released by pushing the grey collars and the electric plug has a circlip holding it on.

The price of a flter and a mechanic's time will be about the same as replacing the whole thing yourself. I reckon.

Snowie

Not sure what your posting means...

As should be apparent from the links provided in my last posting above, it’s unlikely to be practicable to replace the filter-cartridge without first dismounting the complete UFI filter-unit from the vehicle.

As Steve928 has mentioned above, if the person replacing the cartridge has mechanical sympathy, common sense, the appropriate tool to hold the filter-unit’s top and bottom sections to avoid the unit being damaged, and a torrque wrench, it SHOULD be possible to replace the cartridge and avoid subsequent leakage.

Motorhome-related fuel leakages generally seem to follow the filter-cartriidge having been replaced not too long before, suggesting that it’s the replacement procedure that’s the culprit. However, some on-line reports refer to leakage occurring when the motorhome was relatively new and the cartridge had not been replaced. It’s been speculated that leakage may be more common on motorhomes due to the position of the filter-unit in the engine compartment and the vehicle type’s hard suspension/high tyre pressures, but that’s just guesswork.

It’s interesting that Fiat ditched the UFI 2-piece plastic filter-unit with replaceable filter-cartridge for Ducato (opting from a disposable metal fuel-filter instead) whereas contemporary Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer vehicles kept the UFI unit. (I don’t know what fuel-filters Euro 6 Boxers/Relays have.)

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-16 1:49 PM

Snowie

Not sure what your posting means...

That’s ok Derek; I’m often misunderstood!

My filter on an x250 was replaced a few years ago, and leaked. I decided the time had come to bite the bullet and have it replaced.

The mechanic who did it said , this time, that he would remove the assembly, replace the filter, reassemble and then refit the filter assembly. The reasoning being that the fuel lines could be easily tightened on the vehicle, easier and more reliably than the filter assembly top cover could be refitted in the engine bay.

I believe he did it that way this time and all is still ok.

Last time I had a pool of diesel on the road outside my house less than an hour after getting the van back.

This is the plastic assembly, which I understood could be easily replaced with a metal assembly, is that correct?

Regards, Snowie

I’m still perplexed, as the fuel-hoses that connect to the UFI plastic fuel-filter unit that was fitted to Ducato X250 vehicles are ‘push-to-connect’ type, so no tightening is involved.

Also (in my view) nobody in their right mind would attempt to replace the filter-cartridge used with this filter-unit without first removing the complete filter-unit from the vehicle - in fact, I would have thought it was verging on the impossible to replace the cartridge and not first remove the complete filter-unit from the vehicle. Consequently, I think you have misunderstood what the mechanic was telling you.

snowie - 2018-07-16 4:42 PM

...This is the plastic assembly, which I understood could be easily replaced with a metal assembly, is that correct?

No, the plastic 2-part UFI filter-unit (with replaceable filter-cartridge) cannot be replaced with the metal 1-part disposible fuel-filter fitted to later Ducato X250s and to X290s.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-16 6:51 PM

I’m still perplexed, as the fuel-hoses that connect to the UFI plastic fuel-filter unit that was fitted to Ducato X250 vehicles are ‘push-to-connect’ type, so no tightening is involved.

Also (in my view) nobody in their right mind would attempt to replace the filter-cartridge used with this filter-unit without first removing the complete filter-unit from the vehicle - in fact, I would have thought it was verging on the impossible to replace the cartridge and not first remove the complete filter-unit from the vehicle. Consequently, I think you have misunderstood what the mechanic was telling you.

Somehow we are at cross purposes I think. Also, it sounds as though the standard procedure is to remove the complete unit from the vehicle. In which case it is quite possibly my misunderstanding that the leakage of the filter unit arises when the filter cartridge is replaced in situ. Whatever, the “push to connect” fittings clearly make that an unattractive approach.

Either way I’ll be leaving it to someone else to do.

Snowie

Having read about the Trouble this type of filter has caused I have purchased an inline fuel filter two pieces of fuel pipe and 4 jubilee clips as breakdown cover for my recent trip to UK, it gave me some peace of mind at not much expense and easy store.

I changed the filter myself using the correct tool and the correct tightening torque of 30 nm. The MH has covered about 1300 miles so far so good.

It might be worth consideration even for those with no mechanical ability , someone could fit it and it might save a lot of expense and grief.

As replacement of the cartridge of the UFI fuel-filter unit is part of the service schedule of Boxer/Ducato/Relay vehicles with this unit, it might be worth knowing what procedural instructions are given to main agents. (For example, what instructions regarding cartridge replacement does Fiat provide for Fiat Professional outlets.)

In principle - as Nick Fisher (euroserv) has said in the past - fitting a brand new UFI filter unit complete with new cartridge (about £75) will be simpler than carrying out the work required to replace a cartridge and SHOULD have a lower risk of subsequent leakage.

Replacing the plastic UFI unit with the later metal filter was discussed here:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Ducato-Fuel-Filter-Replacement/39103/

Do always a proper tightness test afther fuel line repairs, and fliter replacement. Study your fuel system from the filler neck and cap till the injectors, and everything in between, including the fuel tank it self, and what sits inside the the tank. The fuel filter nearby the fire wall needs a special sealing torque tool on his top housing. I can read on line for free by my club member being a fiat dealer the workshop manual. But i may not upload this. But any questions i try to solve for you.

Airstream - 2018-07-17 4:20 PM

Watch "How to clean your motorhome's fuel filter – expert advice from Practical Motorhome's Diamond Dave" on YouTube

Shows how simple it is to replace the filter element and also if the procedure is followed why do they leak

Ray

There is another video-clip describing fliter-cartridge replacement

but this is much sketchier than Dave Newell’s and the procedure describes lacks Dave’s attention to detail and his focus on cleanliness.

There has been forum discussion about whether the threads of the filter-unit's two sections and the new sealing-ring should be lubricated prior to torquing the filter-unit’s cap to 30Nm (Dave Newell applies a smear of vaseline) and it would be worth knowing whether Fiat’s own workshop manual for Ducato mentions lubrication (Monique may be able to say).

Received wisdom is that petroleum jelly (eg. Vaseline) should be avoided if a ‘real rubber' seal is to be lubricated, but I doubt that the seal used with this filter-unit is actually made of ‘tree’ rubber. Silicone grease should be a ‘just in case’ safe lubricant for the seal if the threads are to be lubricated - but tht’s just being picky!

Archived