have you checked under your MH recently

jjsbc

I own a swift kontiki 2017 imported myself into new Zealand in 2012 on fitting some equipment under the vehicle I noticed water leaking from the underfloor ply,on investigation discovered large areas of rot in the ply.

Water running down the outside walls had run past the silicon sealing on the skirts and as the ply was lower than the exterior sheathing had been absorbed by the ply (untreated) and started the rot,not that many people would own up to this scenario,I wonder how many more rotten swifts are out there?

It's going to be an expensive repair and treated ply and mechanical flashings will stop any occurrence in the future.

Faulty design to late for warranty claim, never trust silicone entirely and no indication on interior damp checks.

At each MOT I inspect the underside with a mechanic...we particularly check for security of water tank straps and everything else that's visible.

It's at my local friendly garage where humans still operate. (lol)

I suffered water ingress through sloppy manufacture/supervision in my 2005 Leaky Kontiki. Where the side walls join on to the floor, little or no sealant had been applied, resulting in water running down towards the joint and seeping in. I repaired mine with epoxy resin injected into the soft areas, unsightly but effective. Afraid manufactures have a lot to answer for their poor workmanship.

I recently changed to an Autocruise and my first job was to reseal all these joints even although they were good. Some water ingress through window joins had resulted in a small amount of soft floor, repaired under warranty, even although a 2008, as bought policy when trading in. Window seal has been repaired by polishing window frame at join to ensure water runs off and not in.

All the best with your repair and hopefully not too many find the same damage

On my swift had habitation check last week they tested all the walls and cieling but on the diagram the floor was left completely out of the test. Guess they assume its got to come from above so dont check the floor. There was a bit of damp where the fiamma awning was so they put an awning rain protector on it. Im thinking that as the van has been baking for weeks out in open this hopefully should have dried out. Good luck.

I just looked at my habitation check and the damp test is only on internal walls, so an interesting point about the floor underneath.

Although it looked sound when I had to refit some screws holding the waste tank valve. ( actually a very kind mechanic at Bath Marina park did it for free, even plugging the old holes to get a better grip)

I also have fitted an awning seal to stop rain running down the back of the casing.

Archived