help again please - 2007 Citroen relay reverse gear

Mark Wilkes

I have a 2007 Citroen relay and it has suddenly stopped selecting reverse gear. all the other gears work fine and I had the clutch done last year can anyone please suggest anything that I can have a go at, I have very little mechanical knowledge and no one to help. thank you all once again.

(Title edited for clarity - Keithl)

This 2012 MHFun discussion

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/102383-ducato-2007-x250-2-2-100-multijet-no-reverse-gear-help.html

related to not being able to select reverse gear on a 2007 Ducato with 2.2litre motor (which I assume would be the same powerplant/gearbox as used on a 2007 Relay).

As Kennyd has suggested, the first thing to check is the linkage between the gear-lever and the gearbox as (hopefully) that’s where the problem is likely to lie, rather than inside the gearbox.

What does "it has suddenly stopped selecting reverse gear” mean? Is there a reluctance for the gear-lever to move into the reverse-gear position - which might select that the linkage is out of adjustment? Or does the gear-lever move into the reverse-gear position in the normal manner but reverse-gear is not selected - which might indicate that part of the linkage at the gearbox end has become detached or has broken?

Hi Derek the problem is that when I lift the collar to select reverse the collar lifts Ok but I cannot locate reverse even tried with engine off but it doesn't go into reverse gear. it has been a bit stiff for about a week but now it won't engage reverse. all the other gears are no problem to select. I have read that the cable might have some slack in it but not sure how to fix it.

As you’ll see from the link I provided above, adjusting the linkage (even when there is nothing actually damaged, detached or broken) won’t be a simple task.

With no reversing capability your motorhome cannot be safely driven. Have got breakdown insurance you can call on to get the problem diagnosed?

You’ve said in your original posting that you have very little mechanical knowledge, so it seems likely that you will need to have the fault looked at professionally rather than attempt a DIY fix.

Hi again Derek. I went to the first garage where I normally go and he said it was the gearbox £1000. I then smelt the clutch so took it back to where I had that done and he said its the gear linkage £200 and showed me where it was broken so I will take it to them next week. Again thank you for your advice as I would never have found the problem, and the suggestion of going to the garage has worked all be it that we could of done without it.

To replace the clutch, the gearbox has to come out, and the gear linkage would have had to be disconnected to permit its removal. It just seems a bit of a coincidence that the gear linkage would need adjustment relatively soon after the clutch was done. How many miles have you driven since the clutch was replaced?

Mark Wilkes - 2019-07-19 5:03 PM

Hi Brian we have done at the most 5000 miles.

Hm. After 5,000 miles and somewhere around a year since, I guess you'd have difficulty trying to establish whether the fault lies with the garage or is a consequence of age. The van is now about 12 years old, and I'm wondering how many miles it has done in total? The clutches seem to last well in general use, though poor adjustment of the clutch mechanism will accelerate wear. But I don't think a badly adjusted gear linkage would be likely to contribute to accelerated clutch wear. I was wondering if an independent inspection might be worth considering, but the time to investigate the conflicting claims would only add cost, and there is no guaranty of it finding a smoking gun. I assume the van is more or less undrivable as it is (I suspect it may actually be illegal to drive it on the road, as I think a reverse gear is a statutory requirement), but it may be wise to check. Are either of the garages you approached "Fiat Professional" garages, or are they independents, and have they seen/driven the van, or are they giving opinions based on your description of the problem? I've e-mailed a man who may well be able to give better guidance, so I hope he'll respond in the next day or so.

Hi Brian the van has done 127.000 miles and the garage is an independent one. The first garage sat in the van and tried the gears and said its the gearbox. The second garage did the same, minus the gearbox comment, and then looked under the bonnet and showed me the broken linkage. I am just about able to drive the van and as the garage is only 150 yards away then it will stay where it is until early next week when they are repairing it.

Hi Mark

I have had a reply back from my man who knows (Nick Fisher - euroserv on here) who is unable to comment at present, but says he agrees that it was probably down to the firm who replaced the clutch not re-connect the gear change linkage correctly while re-fitting the box.

As said above, the time and mileage covered since that work would probably make it very difficult to prove that, although the firm who now have the van may be able to say whether the break might be due to poor workmanship, or just wear and tear after 127,000 miles. Even so, I suspect that argument is something of a dead duck.

It is bad luck, and an annoying additional expense, but it should get your van back on the road. Let us know how it goes, and good luck.

Mark Wilkes - 2019-07-20 12:25 PM

Thanks Brian and thanks to your friend for the info. Unfortunately the garage that did the clutch is the same one that is doing the repair so even if it was their fault I don't think they would admit to it.

You could perhaps ask them 1) to see any parts that have to be replaced, to see if something has actually broken and, 2) if nothing was broken, but the linkage has merely become detached, to then ask them why it should have detached only 5,000 miles after the clutch was replaced, when it had remained attached for the preceding 125,000 miles? It's a perfectly reasonable question for a puzzled customer to ask, with an implication that should be obvious to any competent mechanic.

If 2) achieves nothing else, it should make them think about the size of the bill, or even whether they should charge at all! At least you'll then get some idea how much trust to place in them in future.

Archived