hose

PMM

I used to carry the spare garden hose reel we had at home and occassionally this would allow me to fill up from a tap without moving the MH - but really it was just clutter and I was pleased with the switch to a shorter reel when I came acrooss a proper blue (food quality) one at a show at a reasonable price.  I rarely pull out more than 10 feet or so when I've parked the MH near the tap, and the hose can be used while only partly un-reeled, which is very handy.

So to answer your question five metres is more than enough for me.  Getting one that can be used without being entirely removed from its reel is a valuable feature. Mine has three small diameter tubes extruded together as an in-line flat set (if that makes sense) and the tubes reel up well but do not flatten in order to do so.  Although it is recommended to use food quality hose I survived well enough for nearly ten years with garden hose so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I use basic garden hose the cheapest I can find, as do many others. Its about 20 feet long, If short I use a plastic water-can and relish the exercise.

The title 'Food Quality' attached to a product is no different to saying its black or white.

PMM

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Pauline.

My own experience is that a hose around 10 metres long should be adequate for the majority of situations.

If you are considering purchasing this type of hose

https://www.officialxhose.co.uk/

there has been some earlier forum discussion

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=xhose&author=&days=&Submit=Search

This may also be of interest

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Filling-up-with-Fresh-Water/41175/

For the majority of the time 5m is long enough.

I can only recall two sites where a 5m hose hasn't worked, in one case (our most commonly visited site) the tap is throu a small field and across a footbridge another site the tap was at far side of wet field, i'm not sure it would have been practical to carry a hose long enough for either of these, For cases such as these we carry a 20(? ) litre collapsible camping water container, in fact I used it last weekend where I couldn't be bothered to move the van.

What you may find is the controlling factor is the length of hose you need at home.

Whatever hose you use make sure you "under run" it and get as much water as you can out before rolling it up. Nasty bugs can contaminate water left for any time particularly when it's warm.

Two shorter hoses with connectors might be more useful than one long one. Some taps can be very slow, long lengths of hose restrict the flow even more.

H

I have 10mtrs of food grade hose, - whether Food grade hose is strictly required or not is arguable, I make a point of not letting the ends drag on the ground and keeping it clean. Also drain it out after use by holding up one end, I have a selection of adaptors to suit circumstances.

Often though the tap is in an inaccessible position, or moving the M/H to the re-fill point is just too difficult. I have a 10 ltr water carrier which I currently use for top ups. - To fill our tank this would take 9 trips to the tap which is a bit OTT, I am thinking about a 20 or 25 ltr Jerry can for clean water which would take a top up in 1 hit although not sure about the weight when it's full lifting it to the water inlet on the van.

keninpalamos - 2017-01-03 10:57 AM

I have one of the flat blue hose type on a reel. Had it over 10 years and use it regularly but they do start leaking and delaminate if put under pressure so always turn off at the supply tap rather than the hose nozzle

Agree, my first blue flat hose on a reel ended up as a very effective lawn sprinkler :-D

My second (current) one has lasted well as I've learnt not to over-pressure it. In particular, the last bit of hose going into the filler on the side of the van is normal food grade hosepipe. This avoids the flat hose becoming kinked and over-pressurising.

The short length of normal hose is deployed when close to a convenient tap.

The only downside of a flat 15m long hose reel is, it has to be completely unwound, but I've never found this to be too much of a problem. I'd rather have that than a bulky normal hose.

Also, when the flat hose is wound up, it squeezes the remaining water out which helps reduce the growth of bacteria when in hot climes. Well, that's my theory - expect a micro biologist will be along soon to disprove that !!!

Will86 - 2017-01-03 1:48 PM

Do as the fire services do and drape your hose over a high point so air can pass freely through the whole length.

. I see what your saying there. A sort of "Total loss system" I tried that but when I went back to the high point after letting it drain properly it had gone! :-D

Tall_Mike - 2017-01-03 12:39 PM.............. I am thinking about a 20 or 25 ltr Jerry can for clean water which would take a top up in 1 hit although not sure about the weight when it's full lifting it to the water inlet on the van.

1 litre water = 1kg. So 25 litres = 25kg = 55lb (+ self weight of container), or about 1/2 cwt. Not easy to hold while pouring.

Brian Kirby - 2017-01-05 4:07 PM

Tall_Mike - 2017-01-03 12:39 PM.............. I am thinking about a 20 or 25 ltr Jerry can for clean water which would take a top up in 1 hit although not sure about the weight when it's full lifting it to the water inlet on the van.

1 litre water = 1kg. So 25 litres = 25kg = 55lb (+ self weight of container), or about 1/2 cwt. Not easy to hold while pouring.

I occasionally use a 10 litre container when I can't be bothered to unroll a hose and after emptying it into the filler I'm glad it isn't any bigger! I certainly wouldn't want to be trying to lift a 20 or 25 litre container, let alone carry across a campsite before lifting.

Keith.

PMM - 2017-01-03 8:38 AM

We've just bought our first motorhome (new to us) to be collected at the end of the month. We're wondering how long the waterhose needs to be....we intend buying one of those flexible hoses. :-D

If you decide on a XHose or fancy one I have a Brand New one still sealed in the box. It's not a “re-furbished” or “new other” like a lot you see online. I purchased this from The Range, to take with us in our motorhome on a two month trip in Europe. I left home and left the XHose on the kitchen table and ended up having to buy a new one in France; hence the sale. Too late to take back and lost the receipt anyway.

Cost me £34.00 they are for sale now in Argos at £29.99. I’ll sell it for £20.00 including postage. Just PM me if you are interested it would be good to get it out of my study!

Oh and a big welcome to motorhoming and the forum.

For some time we've carried 2x 25 metre lengths of curly plastic hose bought from the local garden centre in the UK. They have rather nice brass fittings which work well with all the hoselock fittings, we carry all sorts of end fittings, and they all squash into a bag made from sailcloth by CG. I intend to start carrying a watering can when it might be the easiest way to top up.

AGD

Have you considered a submersible water pump as used in many camper builds, Hymer etc. dropped into your "Jerry" with short hose attached and powered from the 12v cig. Output? Use the same one as used on your 'van and you can use it as a spare or replacement *-)

• 2 weeks later...

We have two small hoses one is 5m long and the other is 2m long

I can join the two together if needed in 40 years I have only not been able to fill up twice and we use mostly cl's.

I use the short one if I can drive right up to the tap, i can't carry water in a jerry can due to a disability but always travel with a full tank incase I can't access the tap at the next site and only book one night on cl's until I know I can access all that I need i.e tap and toilet emptying etc. big sites are usually not a problem.

Pete

Like has been said already....two lengths....say 5 and 3 mtrs with a selection of connectors etc.  Also a watering can  (plastic).  Never bothered about food quality hoses myself.  Hose length does most all situations....use watering can to top up when required and to stow the hoses in when required....job done.

Keithl - 2017-01-05 5:35 PM

I occasionally use a 10 litre container when I can't be bothered to unroll a hose and after emptying it into the filler I'm glad it isn't any bigger! I certainly wouldn't want to be trying to lift a 20 or 25 litre container, let alone carry across a campsite before lifting.

Keith.

I joined the Murvi Club recently, and in one of the tips forums it recommended carrying your full container into the van, placing it on the work surface (kitchen), sticking a short length of hose out of the window and siphoning the water into the filler. Blindingly obvious in retrospect, but I certainly hadn't thought of it!

(Edited by Keithl)

Archived