how do you feed water into motorhome thru hosepipe?

gp1

1. park as close to the tap as possible preferably with the tap on the same side of the van as the filler.

2. open supply tap to make sure it actually works

3. if the tap looks like it has not been used for a while run it to ensure water is both cold and fresh

4. remove water tank filler cap

5. affix hose to tap using appropriate fittings

6. shove other end of hose down filler 'ole

7 open tap and listen to ensure water is flowing

8. twiddle thumbs or empty loo whilst waiting

9. when water runs out of tank overflow turn off tap

10. remove hose, drain water and return hose and any fittings used to storage

11. don't forget to replace the water tank filler cap

12. dry your hands and drive away contented

Just fill my tank via a length of plastic piping with a rubber tap connector which i found to be the best as taps vary from site to site. I only use it for showering and if i drink it, it's boiled for coffee so doesn't matter.

One useful item i bought earlier this year is a "Collapz" watering can. Not cheap (by comparison to garden watering cans) but it packs down into a very small size and useful if your van is some distance from tap. It's also very well made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJ5hgAX4tU

Keithl - 2018-06-18 10:58 AM

Or do you have the stupid 'Whale' filler system requiring a special adaptor?

There are a couple of 'get arounds' that by pass this totally inappropriate system and make the whole thing much easier to use.

We use blue food-grade collapsible hose on a reel.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-plumbing/water-hose-and-fittings/brunner-hose-reel-with-new-flat-hose

https://bigwhitebox.co.uk/product/15m-49ft-motorhome-fill-up-flat-food-grade-hose-reel/

We connect this to the van using a HEOS connector

http://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1410

Whilst the HEOS connectors are expensive (around £20), they do reduce the risk of contamination from dirt on the outside of the hose pipe and mean there is no risk of the hose falling out when you turn it on.

I hope this helps

Is this actually a question relating to “serviced” pitches ? which are aimed mostly at caravans.

As a 90 odd percent user of sites I ‘m interested to know how to make such a connection, beats moving the van to fill the onboard tank, and beats carrying a long hose ( though a flat one might ease the problem) and on some UK and continental sites, taps are in short supply.

Cheers, Snowie

Before attempting to advise further on ANY of the enquiries that “gp1" has made in the last few days, what is needed is confirmation from gp1 as to the exact make and model of motorhome he/she owns.

In another posting

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/fiat-2004-immobiliser/49602/#M569681

gp1 implies that the motorhome is based on a 2004 Fiat and - in further postings - gp1 refers to it as a “swift sunseeker”. However the “Sunseeker” name (to the best of my knowledge) was not used for Swift motorhomes, but was used for Elddis motorhomes.

2003/2004 Owner Handbooks are available on-line for Swift and Elddis motorhomes. The handbooks are reasonably informative and might be expected to help with at least some of the questions gp1 has asked.

The 2003 model-year Elddis handbook is here

http://www.elddis.co.uk/documents/Handbooks/2003/motorhome-handbook.pdf

and contains 9 “Sunseeker” references. If gp1 has an Elddis “Sunseeker” motorhome, but not the handbook, this might explain the questions about water-filling and ‘console' operation, as the “Sunseeker” was apparently fitted with a Carver Crystal 3 water system (Page 10 in handbook) similar to the Whale system Keithl mentioned above, and the electrical control-panel (Page 21) is not one I’m familiar with.

Unfortunately, the snag with a hypothesis that gp1 might own an Elddis “Sunseeker” (example in attached photo) is that Elddis would normally have built that motorhome model only on a Peugeot Boxer base and not on a Fiat.

1405429192_ElddisSunseeker.jpg.2f7f1198aec14e744a0aa05a6dfc015f.jpg

Hi thanks for all the replies i had thought perhaps the tap on the outlet at campsites might have been switched on and somehow the taps onboard would just operate the water straight from the outlet. Much like the electric just goes straight from the mains to the electric socket onboard. My motorhome is a freestyle swift but the manual only relates to a couple of similar vans from around the same time (2004) including kontiki and there are differences in consoles and mine isnt included. I think the manuals deal with the details and without the underlining principles involved i dont really understand them. The symbols mean nothing. I think one is a tap and another is a light but a light symbol could mean power. But from where? Dont really know if auxilliary means external supply or liesure battery. But the water question is clear in my mind now. Thanks.

Yes thankyou for your help and sorry to be so misleading. My van and manual are in wales and im in england. The owner said it was a special edition called a freestyle based on something else which might have been a lifestyle but i have a vague recollection of in the manual it being a sunseeker or a suntor. But there was definately a kontiki in there. The download is for all motorhomes built in 2004 by swift and there are 3 main ones and mine is a variation on one of them. My console isnt covered in the manual. Theres something about the truma heater on youtube but i havent got that far yet.

Thankyou very much i desperately need to order the hosepipe as i have had the steriliser sloshing about in the tank for 3 weeks now and want to flush it all out. Going to the tap on site just to fill the kettle / get a glass of water is a pain after a while.

There is a Kontiki Swift-

An example of a 645 variant here: http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/products/motorhomes/HCCQF66117/2004-swift-kontiki-645

But the Swift Freestyle (or Freestyle Swift as you put it), which you say that yours is, appears to be a caravan...

If you really need help, as others have already said, you'll need to supply the correct make and model... :-S

gp1

The attached photo is from an advert said to relate to a 2004 Swift “Freestyle” 590RL.

UK-built motorhomes have often been marketed as ‘dealership specials’ with specification enhancements over the standard version and, when this happens, renaming often occurs to indicate that the vehicles are different. So a 2004 Swift “Freestyle 590RL” will have been an enhanced 2004 Swift “Sundance 590RL” and any Swift documentation that relates to the 2004 Sundance model-range should relate equally to “Freestyle” models.

Swift 2004 Technical and Owners handbooks can be found here

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/177/original/1053128_Swift_MH_Service_Book_2004.pdf?1472743581

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/036/original/1053127_MH_Owners_Hbook_2004.pdf?1472743485

Advice on filling the motorhome’s water tank is given on Pages 21 & 22 of the Owners Handbook and is the usual method where a water-hose is inserted in the external water filler inlet. (I suggest that you do NOT use Milton sterilising fluid.)

Emptying the waste-water tank is covered on Page 21.

"This is done by opening the valve located just beneath the side or rear panel on the exterior of the motorhome. It should be emptied either directly, or via a waste water container (not supplied) into a designated waste water area.”

Looking at the 2004 Technical Handbook’s wiring diagrams, it seems that the 2004 Sundance range still used a “KT92GB” control-panel.

There is NO infomation about this control-panel in the 2004 Owners Handbook, but it IS covered on Pages 31 and 32 of this 2001 Owners Handbook and the explanation there may help you decipher what the switches do.

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/034/original/1044827_MH_Owners_Hbook_2002.pdf?1472743484

If you have no motorcaravanning background, I suggest you invest in a copy of John Wickersham’s book “The Motorcaravan Manual”. Earlier editions that would be appropriarte to your 2004 motorhome are available quite cheaply (example here)

https://tinyurl.com/y9o4w2gs

1239802655_SwiftFreestyle590RL.jpg.429f4346d7d118e44303fd7494f1b689.jpg

Yes thats it. Thanks very much for your help i will refer to those pages you mention.

especially the control panel one which i hadnt seen. Thankyou. Yes dealership special that was what the seller said.So many sources of info id forgotten about the manuals and went on youtube then came on here.Surprisingly little on youtube seems to direct my enquiries to american rvs all the time. Plus the manuals are written in a language which is quite archaic now. fridge and cooker and water heater seem very directed at installing these things for the companies that build the motorhomes.

Yes but in the diagrams there are no arrows pointing to the symbols to tell you what they mean. In the first (which is not mine) there are. But in the other two there arent. Totally meaningless i had tried to work it out several times before. Perhaps for dealership specials they could have arrows and numbered explainations of controls. But its a process of getting a clue. Going back to the manual to get a new take on it. And hoping it makes more sense. Also i need to ask people at campsites. We had a succession of german phsychologists coming into our van last time trying to work the oven.

gp1 - 2018-06-19 9:52 AM

We had a succession of german phsychologists coming into our van last time trying to work the oven.

Maybe they were more capable of psycho analysing you than at fixing motorhomes?

I wonder what their conclusions were!

Well only a product of my environvironment. He did look like peter lorre and had very thick spectacles. He was going to see stones in cardiff. When he came in my partner was already lying on the couch. The next man to come - his wife was a psychiatric nurse. So after 2 days of changing gas bottles and trying to unscrew them the wrong way everybody on site thought that we were mentally unstable due to the comings and goings of healthcare proffessionals trying to have a break and me screaming. And trapsing around the site with various borrowed tools all of which were wrong like a neathanderthal man under threat of extintion.

I'm wondering how many litres of water "gp1's" tank holds? Despite the lengthy detailed user manual Derek linked, i couldn't spot it! I'm assuming somewhere around 80-100ltr? If so that gives a couple a good 7 - 10 day supply unless having showers every day, and if on a site you'd use their showers.

Im not sure but definately need a shower. Had to get the train to wales which is by bus. People have been attacking the guards due to the train mayhem. Its a 3 hour journey from bristol to south wales. Just had a beggar ask the entire carriage for money and made a speech. Is manchester piccadilly not london then? Confused.

gp1 - 2018-06-19 8:20 AM

Yes thankyou for your help and sorry to be so misleading. My van and manual are in wales and im in england. The owner said it was a special edition called a freestyle based on something else which might have been a lifestyle but i have a vague recollection of in the manual it being a sunseeker or a suntor. But there was definately a kontiki in there. The download is for all motorhomes built in 2004 by swift and there are 3 main ones and mine is a variation on one of them. My console isnt covered in the manual. Theres something about the truma heater on youtube but i havent got that far yet.

The easiest thing to do is wait until you get your motorhome home and then start using various parts and then ask the questions. At least then you will be able to try each answer out until you are satisfied that you know what you are doing. All these questions are really irrelevant until you are able to actually have sight of the van. We all have to start somewhere but nothing will make sense until you actually have the van within sight.

Archived