how to fix my hairline cracks in the bathroom floor

marcismum

Hi hoping to get some advice. I have some hair line cracks in my non slip bathroom floor which is a thin one mould piece plastic. (back bit is one section with toilet and shower in it and front bit is with basin in it and the two halves are separated by a sort of plastic bridge to stop the water going from one side to the other but all one moulded piece of plastic).

I have photos of the floor but not sure if I can post them here or not.

I have looked at the fibreglass route but been advised that may have issues with the resin bonding.

So now I have looked at the cracked shower tray/base repair paint. This is a water based plastic paint which one is supposed to be able to paint on over the (very minor) cracks (in the centre) of the floor and then do it again and then paint the whole floor so that it will look like a new floor. It is for sale on Amazon co uk.

I have had these cracks since i purchased the vehicle (1989 Fiat Ducato. LMC made LMC LIberty 3600 I think is the number of the model). The van is still good but wanting to sort out the shower tray. This is supposed to be flexible paint but no good if one walks on it with shoes or footwear (according to the suppliers advice to me) as it will mark. So only okay with bare feet he said.

Then spoke with a company called speedcoateuro.com who sell their product only to people who are registered fixing campers etc...the cost of paying someone to do this who has this product is very expensive and the nearest supplier to many is couple of hundred miles away. They told me that their product is permanent and will do the job fantastically (of course) but I cant afford it nor get to a supplier who can do the job. However these people told me that the paint I described above will do a good temporary job they said but for how long it will be good they dont know.

In the comments on Amazon co uk from customers who have purchased the paint, many are motorhomers who say they are pleased with the product....

So now I am confused as to what to do. The paint is not cheap...it is nearly 30 pounds for the kit (paint tray and brush and some acetate or similar for cleaning the floor prior to painting plus of course the paint) or 25 pounds just for the paint. Each tin of paint is 300ml tin so looks like i will need 2 or 3 tins or more if I wish to make the layers of paint thicker and thicker.

I should add that the hairline cracks have been there since I purchased the vehilcle and have not gotten any worse since even though I have used the shower a lot.

Yes could put some plastic padding underneath to provide a support to the tray.....there is no sign of any leakage underneath and it is black undersealed underneath.

Can anyone advise what to do please?

Also I am wanting to make the van look smarter only really as i am intending to sell it.

Please any advice on how to fix it or anyone use the paint product above or used any other product or what can I do please?

many many thanks

any further info needed then please ask me and I shall reply immediately.

This is apparently a common problem in motorhomes.

Also I am new to this forum but really glad to be here!

I bought the diy kit from Amazon, very easy to do and very pleased with the results.

Tin, brush, cleaner and plastic glove. One tin was plenty for three coats, I masked off the base to make a square around the shower base. Still have plenty left.

My OH drilled a small hole in the floor near the crack, and filled the whole space with expanding foam. Makes the floor much more solid , and then filled the hole Looks fine and is covered by a mat anyway.

PJay

Billggski - 2016-06-20 6:31 PM

I bought the diy kit from Amazon, very easy to do and very pleased with the results.

Tin, brush, cleaner and plastic glove. One tin was plenty for three coats, I masked off the base to make a square around the shower base. Still have plenty left.

Thanks ever so much for your quick reply. I am shocked that I got some prompt replies and am so grateful to you for replying to me as my head is spinning with all this.

Please could you tell me the size or just the measurements of your bathroom floor that you used the paint on so I can get an idea as to how much i truly need as you said that you gave it three coats.

I would want to take it right up to the sides where the plastic shower tray stops and the wall starts. That way I will have an even finish all over.

Have you used it since you painted it - rather concerned that they said no good if wearing shoes as the paint is soft and therefore will be marked wearing shoes. When I said that I dont use shoes in the shower (duh! - LOL) they then said oh well that will be okay then.

But the other people with their product that costs a fortune and can be obtained only through their own suppliers who do the work said that the above paint could only be a temporary fix as it would start to crack again.

What do you think?

When did you apply yours - how long ago - and have you used shower since then?

Thanks ever so much for your help and reply.

PJay - 2016-06-20 6:49 PM

My OH drilled a small hole in the floor near the crack, and filled the whole space with expanding foam. Makes the floor much more solid , and then filled the hole Looks fine and is covered by a mat anyway.

PJay

That is great and thank you so much for replying. Really appreciated! What a great forum this is! So I could expand foam it and then use the paint on top to make it look great? What do you or anyone else think? thanks ever so much

I did the base about three months ago, we've spent about fifteen days touring Scotland and various trips since then and there have been no issues. Our wet room is one continuous surface so I masked off the base, about two feet square, I sanded and cleaned it meticulously, and put several coats around the plug hole, where the cracks were.

I then used a small roller to flatten out the brush strokes leaving a textured surface similar to the original.

It is much whiter than the rest, but as it is the base, this looks OK. I have plenty left for more coats.

I can't see how companies charge so much for essentially the same job.

flicka - 2016-06-20 11:23 PM

If you are not confident doing the job yourselves, there is a company who regularly advertise in MMM.

http://speedcoateuro.com/

They have some authorised dealers around the country.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I know about speedcoat but they are really expensive and the nearest one to me is hundreds of miles away. Would be around 500 pounds or more plus all the fuel to get there and back too....but so good of you to take the time to reply and is very much apprecaited.

Billggski - 2016-06-21 8:05 AM

I did the base about three months ago, we've spent about fifteen days touring Scotland and various trips since then and there have been no issues. Our wet room is one continuous surface so I masked off the base, about two feet square, I sanded and cleaned it meticulously, and put several coats around the plug hole, where the cracks were.

I then used a small roller to flatten out the brush strokes leaving a textured surface similar to the original.

It is much whiter than the rest, but as it is the base, this looks OK. I have plenty left for more coats.

I can't see how companies charge so much for essentially the same job.

Thank you so much for your reply which I have only just seen.

My surface of floor is non slip so do you tihnk the paint will still be okay with that....the little ridge type bumps to make it non slip are not very high.....my surface is 900mm x 650mm and then 800mm x 650mm. So what would that make my square meterage surface that I need to cover please? Does this mean that I have just under 2 square metres to cover? Each tin I have been told is good for about 1 square metre I think. They have told me that they will sell me one kit for nearly 30 pounds and the second tin of paint for 25 pounds with no kit as I dont need two kits....total 55 pounds.....but they did suggest a third tin just in case. They also said to go over the hairline cracks that I have twice (allow it to dry and then paint again) and then to do two coats over the whole surface.

I see that you applied three coats so therefore if you have loads left then 2 tins should be sufficient for mine.

Mine is cream coloured and they do a cream colour that would look okay I think.

I will take your advice on board and any other you have about applying this paint - as you have already used it to a good standard. It seems you and other motorhomers have been quite pleased with this product....when I spoke with the company that sells it they told me that it should last at least a few years and then may need another coat....they did nowever tell me to not walk on it with shoes as it is soft and may mark.

Have you worn any type of footwear on your newly painted shower floor?

I do agree with you completely re the charging by the other companies for essentially the same job. It is much more money to di it by speedcoat plus for me the nearest is so far away. Hundreds of miles.

However the other company speedcoat do guarantee their work and say it will last a very very long time. In essence a new floor. Also they are doing the labour too and that has to be paid for. Other people who have used speedcoat are very pleased with the result. So just trying to look at it from all sides to be fair.

Here with this paint we are doing the labour and there is no guarantee AND the paint people themselves say it will be good only for a few years and then will need another coat.....so maybe money wise it is horses for courses or whatever the saying is....but for me in my position the best option is the paint. As I wish to sell the vehicle then surely if I tell the prospective purchaser that he or she should not wear shoes on the shower floor? That is fair enough I think and covers me too? But interested to know whether you have worn footwear on it?

Looking forward to your reply..and thank you again for taking the time to reply to me. I do hope also that these posts are useful to other motorhomers as I understand that this cracking in the bathroom floor is a very common problem due to the thin plastic or fibreglass used and the movement and weight of a person standing on it.

747 - 2016-06-21 8:16 AM

What about the wonderfully named Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure?

http://www.captaintolley.com/

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion.

I have just looked at this product. It looks good to me and is not expensive. I have only a few hairline cracks on the shower tray floor. No leaking that i can see at all although someone did put some resin in the cracks ages ago. Then same person sprayed the floor with yellow spray paint and it looked terrible but I was able to scrub most of it off. Guess he really didnt know what he was doing.

I wonder if it is compatible with using the cracked shower tray paint for sale at amazon co uk which is a water based plastic paint...I shall give them a ring and find out and then post on here to let others know.

What a great and friendly forum. I am so glad that I joined! Thank you!

Archived