inflexible booking

rooster63

Have a couple of holidays booked so far this year away in our van. One near Horncastle for my nephew's wedding and one in Edinburgh for the festival. My nephew has postponed his wedding due to the coronavirus but when I contacted the site owner to cancel the booking he thanked me for letting him know but when I asked for a refund he refused pointing out his T&Cs said no refunds as they are fully open. I know they have a living to make but we have also suffered a loss of earnings. We have also paid over £140 to the site in Edinburgh, too early to say what will happen to that booking. It puts you off making advance bookings and in the long run they will lose business because people won't risk making a booking.

Interesting, I had a booking for a chalet in France over Easter with Homeaway.

I had the option of cancelling with a full refund up to a month before, 50% a week before, but chose to move the booking to next Easter.

They have been very helpful and negotiated on our behalf with their owners.

rooster63 - 2020-03-21 4:19 PM

Have a couple of holidays booked so far this year away in our van. One near Horncastle for my nephew's wedding and one in Edinburgh for the festival. My nephew has postponed his wedding due to the coronavirus but when I contacted the site owner to cancel the booking he thanked me for letting him know but when I asked for a refund he refused pointing out his T&Cs said no refunds as they are fully open. I know they have a living to make but we have also suffered a loss of earnings. We have also paid over £140 to the site in Edinburgh, too early to say what will happen to that booking. It puts you off making advance bookings and in the long run they will lose business because people won't risk making a booking.

Whilst I understand your frustration, if you sighed up to those T&Cs we must assumed that you were aware that the pitch could not be cancelled for a refund. There’s nothing legally stopping you traveling up and still using the pitch, gov.uk’s advice on unnecessary travel is just that, ‘advisory’, and besides, I doubt the T&C’s would give you a let out even if they were otherwise.

However. You don’t mentioned when your son’s wedding is due. If it’s at a future date then I suggest you hold fire for now. It’s always possible that the Scottish government may order the closure of campsites to delay the spread of Covid-19 . If that happens then the site owner will not be able to honour the contract and you may legitimately demand a refund.

Grumpyman - 2020-03-24 12:54 PM

Surely as its a government instruction there terms and conditions don't apply. Both major clubs are making full refunds.

It will depend on the date the booking was for.

If during a Government enforced closure then I would expect a refund BUT if at a date in the future when the restrictions may be lifted then the sites T&C's are still valid. If the closure is extended to cover the date of the booking then a refund should be offered at that time.

Keith.

Archived