laika kreos 5009 step

Bealy

hi

we have a 2018 Laika kreos 5009. we are finding that the retractable step fitted to this model leaves about 20% of it under the vehicle when fully extended. we have checked other 5009's and found the same so it's not a faulty step.

has anyone else found the same and what can be done to change their as it is dangerous to step out especially when wet or icy as your heel falls naturally to the edge of the current arrangement.

comments please

When I initially looked at on-line photos of a Laika Kreos 5009 I thought it had a ’slide out’ electric step, but (as will be evident from the 1st attached image) the step actually swings out from below the motorhome.

The benefit of the latter arrangement is that the step is lower to the ground and about midway between the ground and the entrance-door's integrated step: the downside (as shown in the 2nd attached image) is that when the step is extended the ‘lip’ of the entrance’s integrated step overhangs the electric step meaning that (as Richard says) when exiting the vehicle, the available area of the electric step’s upper surface is diminished.

The Kreos has an AL-KO chassis, but I don’t know how the electric step is mounted to it. Even if it were possible to move the step’s mounting frame outwards, this would result in the step protruding when it was retracted.

This is a ‘design limitation’ and I doubt that there’s an acceptable solution if the present step is to be retained. It MIGHT be practicable to replace the swing-out step with a slide-out one, but the Kreos 5009 won’t have been designed for this and converting one step type to another would probably not be straightforward. And a slide-out step would be significantly higher from the ground than the swing-out step.

All I can suggest is that Richard complains to Laika about the risk and sees what they say.

786529047_Kreos5009.jpg.caa2c7f3494027ba48f58d7caaa5afab.jpg

1824751480_Kreos5009step.png.f77255a67b7ff2288961ee65c362d38d.png

I would have thought that exiting the motorhome backwards is as potentially risky as exiting forwards while knowing that care needs to be taken due to the step’s position.

The attached image shows how tricky it will be to step down from inside the motorhome on to the extended step. The Kreos 5009 has been marketed since 2011 and the photo relates to an early model - so the exiting issue is not a new thing. As all 5009s appear to have had a similar entrance-door & step arrangement, it’s tempting to assume that nobody (yet!) has had a major accident exiting the motorhome.

I’m guessing that the step is a “Project 2000” product and replacing it with a Thule step might be worth exploring. I note that the whole top of the step in the attached photo has an ‘anti skid’ surface (retro-fitted?) whereas the step in the photo in my previous posting just has a couple of roughened strips. I can’t really see Laika responding positively if Richard contacts them, so he might consider adding a non-slip cover to his step to try to minimise the risk of slipping.

1950988329_Kreosdoorstep.png.afb9185c21838921a89b756a9b9eadfb.png

thanks to you all for responding. I haven't posted the photo's as some of you have already kindly done so. to clarify a few points:-

- it is a Project 2000 step

- my dealer Camper UK has been very helpful and sympathetic in trying to resolve this. they say a few customers have also commented on the situation and made a suggestion. fit a cassette slide out option instead. however this needs to have a bracket fabricated specifically for the situation as there is no off the shelf option. the total cost for fabricating a bracket providing hte step and fitting comes to £1300

- the resulting step is then higher from the ground admittedly. however it is an easier step down being out in the open rather than trying to negotiate the doorway and the step

- the dealer has fitted one of these previously

I was really looking for a guide as to what others thought and any experience which you have all provided. many thanks for taking hte time out to help

regards

I also have a project 2000 step (the so called "see-saw" type rather than the slide out). It has been mounted so that the front edge is about level with the side of the van when it is retracted so it doesn't protrude any more than the skirting (see photo).

When the step is out, there is a bit of a gap between the back edge of the step the van, but nothing that causes any problems.

Maybe yours has been mounted too far back?

I don't think you can easily move forward it as it bolted through the floor somehow using captive bolts.

Step_in.jpg.ab07b68ae2fcbc24c9d946978ff6dd00.jpg

Step_out.jpg.e2f21e705f7528627819ac7546ced0b7.jpg

Archived