leisure battery charging prob

iawnski

hello all I'm new here so be gentle lol,ok I have a peuguot boxer 1.9td 1999 reg, problem is that the leasure battery is or doesn't seem o be charging ... I have disconnected the leads from the lesuire battery put a multimeter on the charging leads with engine off no readings ,,,, I then put the engine running on tick over checked the charging leads nothing showing again on the multi meter,,, ,,so if the engine is running shouldn't there be some power coming from the leads to show its charging ?? got me baffeled any help here would appreciate it thanks again

Hi Kevin

Is the van new to you? Maybe the battery is dead?

If you update your profile with the area where you are, this will help posters to maybe suggest somewhere local to take it to, if need be.

Welcome to forum, and always ask for any advice, there are many VERY knowledgeable people on here

Some replies may not be until later, (some people still have to work)

PJay

Clearly your charging system might have failed, but there could be other explanations, like fuses gone.

However, your MH is not a new one, so there's also the possibility of a problem with your leisure battery having, perhaps because of age, caused the charging failure which you are now seeing, as well as possible failures of whatever split charging device your MH has to connect the leisure battery once the engine is running.

When your engine is running are the dashboard warning lights as you would expect?  That is no alternator warning, so that at least your starter battery is being charged?

Assuming so, separate and protect the loose terminals of your leisure battery connection, so they cannot short and leave your leisure battery disconnected.  What voltage do you get across the leisure battery terminals when it's disconnected?  If it's below 12.6 it isn't fully charged, if it's below 12 it might be either flat or knackered so you could do a test charge on the bench, using a known good battery charger.  If it doesn't charge or doesn't hold a charge, that's one definite problem - you need a new one.

You may still also have a charging system problem.  With a good leisure battery in place, check for a fuses in the positive cable to the leisure battery and replace it if duff, then start the engine and check to see if you get 14 volts or more across the leisure battery terminals.

If not, you have a problem with your split charger device so either check it if you know how or get an auto-electrician to take over.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum.

Let's start with the easiest and chespest items to check and if that does not work move on to the pricey bits.

You don't say what conversion your van is so I'm guessing that just under the leading edge of the bonnet, or maybe closer to the battery, are sited a couple of relays and maybe fuses?

With no output from the alternator at the leisure battery, and assuming there is output to the starter battery, my first place to check as most likely candidates would be the security and cleanliness of the contacts to the relays, fuses, and of the fuses themselves.

wow what a response to my question thank you all ,I shall go through the items you have all given me and let u no how I get on,,, just to let u no that the battery is 12 mnths old this month, I have taken it to ATS for them to check and they say it needs replacing,i no the battery was a bit flat but can they tell if its knackered if its partially full ?.so I'm going to take it tomorrow to the place I bought it from see what they say let u all noafter thanks again

engine running no warning lights all ok there,,leisure battery discoonected readings are 11.99, I have put it on charge ,how long should I leave it on for ? found the fuse and that's ok are there more than one fuse ?started engine meter says 0 at the leisure battery cables ?

On my Motorhome as an example, if teh leisure battery is below 8 volts then neither the alternator slave charge relay or the on board mains charger will supply volts to the battery. This is not the case with every Motorhome though but shows it might be worth getting a new battery before testing the system.

PJay - 2016-03-14 7:49 PM

You don't say how long you have owned the van?

Just a thought, BUt is there a switch , for switching the batteries? i know there is one on our van.

PJay[/ we have had the van for 3 years no probs just this,no switch for the batterysQUOTE]

Kevin

Although you’ve said that your motorhome is 1999-registered, based on a Peugeot Boxer and has a 1.9td motor, it might still be helpful to know its make and model as far as the ‘conversion’ is concerned. (For example - Autocruise Stardream).

Motorhome converters don’t standardise on the electrical equipment they use and can hide fuses and relays anywhere. If a forum member owns (or has owned) the same motorhome as yours, he/she may be able to provide focused advice.

it says SAHARA on the log book that's all..took the battery off charge last night read the readings off the multi meter 9 hrs later and the reading is 12.57 ,,would you say that the battery is OK then?,,,also found a live wire from the _+ terminal that is live just hanging off the terminal it looks to me like its come out of a female plastic sleeve so just the metal showing its onl abt 1 ft long the cable from the battery ?,,,,also how do you get squiggly line from under my typing on here lol

hi all just want to say a massive thank you to all who was here to help with your comments,so ive bitten the bullet and taken it in to our caravan fixers local to me ,they were great had a check of the battery for me and that was ok .they then checked the power to the leisure battery engine running and off they found no power to it ,then a quick look in the engine bay guess what no relay just the wires taped up ,they recon the one had maybe burnt out and decided not to put another in wired or what all that stress we had ,so its going in to get fixed in a couple of weeks ,thanks for all your help

Archived