mixed tyres

steveandlisa

I have just had 4 Michelin Agilis Commercial tyres fitted to the 2 rear axles of my Tag Axle motorhome. The front axle has Agilis Camping tyres fitted. The front (Camping) tyres are M & S rated and give good traction on grass. The Commercial tyres are not M & S rated but have the same load rating as the front ones. I thought it was pointless spending the extra money on Camping tyres.

steveandlisa - 2018-04-18 8:52 PM

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if its ok and indeed legal to have ordinary van tyres on one axle and CP rated camping tyres on the other axle and if so, to which axle must they be fitted. Also how would this arrangement affect tyre pressures.

Regards

Steve

The MOT-test tyre-related regulations can be read here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles

Provided that the tyres have the same structure and size, there is no UK legal prohibition preventing a CP-marked tyre being fitted on one end of an axle and a C-marked tyre on the axle’s other end, never mind having CP-marked tyres on one axle and C-marked tyres on another axle.

Having different make/design tyres on the ends of an axle is not a great idea, but it’s legally OK in the UK as long as the size/structure tyre rules are met.

Plainly there will be potential inflation-pressure issues if C-marked tyres are fitted instead of CP-marked ones and the high pressures generally advised for CP-marked tyres have been used previously.

No problem as long as you don't mix tyres on the same axle which you might do in the event of a puncture and use of the spare wheel?

It possibly wouldn't feel and act any different on dry roads but they might react differently when braking in the wet or icy conditions - or when you least expect it?

I've never done it so I don't know what would happen!

I have had vans with CP tyres all round and vans with normal commercial tyres all round and I can't say I have ever noticed any difference in ride, handling or braking so I too am unable to see any benefit in spending more than you need to on tyres.

That said I would never buy cheap tyres, always tyres from a leading manufacturer, and always in twos if not fours.

Guest pelmetman

We have Hankooks all round......... Two years ago we had a puncture on the way the ferry *-) .........

Breakdown service put on our spare Hankook which is on a steel wheel........Got a new tyre in France, not a Hankook but the only one they had of that size.......fitted it to our alloy and back on the van, steel wheel back to spare and off we went B-) ........

First timed it rained and I braked the new tyre locked up 8-) ............

pelmetman - 2018-04-19 6:02 PM

We have Hankooks all round......... Two years ago we had a puncture on the way the ferry *-) .........

Breakdown service put on our spare Hankook which is on a steel wheel........Got a new tyre in France, not a Hankook but the only one they had of that size.......fitted it to our alloy and back on the van, steel wheel back to spare and off we went B-) ........

You have Alloys fitted? 8-)

Must have doubled the value of your motorhome. :D

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2018-04-19 6:31 PM

You have Alloys fitted? 8-)

Must have doubled the value of your motorhome. :D

We is proper posh B-) ........

This one's almost as good as ours ;-) .........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Autohomes-Travelhome-motorhome-UPDATED/273157010161?hash=item3f996d32f1:g:Ym4AAOSwjEla0IbH

...First timed it rained and I braked the new tyre locked up 8-) ............

The tread surface of road-vehicle brand-new tyres offers a limited level of grip until the tyre has been ‘scrubbed in’ - it’s why motorcaravanners who swap all their motorhome’s tyres often say how quiet the replacement tyres are and that effort at the steering-wheel is much reduced. This link refers:

https://www.etbtyres.co.uk/running-in-new-tyres/

Hi, I have a 2012 Elddis Aspire 255, when upgrading the MAM I went from 215/75/r15 all round Continental to 225/75/r15 Michelin on the rear with semi air to get the axle loading. I noticed after travelling down to Portugal the van started to oversteer on bends giving the impression that one of the rear tyres was low. This happened whether left or right bends? Having had everything check and no faults found. I had kept the front 215's on the front as they were fairly new. Have now fitted 227/75/r15 Michelin to the front problem solved.

I also have found that traction on grass is a lot worse on the Michelin tyres against the Continental, have run the van on Continental from new I can honestly say the difference is real. This is with similar loading on both sets. My conclusion is if you have different makes/types/sizes your handeling of the van on the road may be effected.

weldted - 2018-04-20 9:01 AM

Hi, I have a 2012 Elddis Aspire 255, when upgrading the MAM I went from 215/75/r15 all round Continental to 225/75/r15 Michelin on the rear with semi air to get the axle loading. I noticed after travelling down to Portugal the van started to oversteer on bends giving the impression that one of the rear tyres was low. This happened whether left or right bends? Having had everything check and no faults found. I had kept the front 215's on the front as they were fairly new. Have now fitted 227/75/r15 Michelin to the front problem solved.

I also have found that traction on grass is a lot worse on the Michelin tyres against the Continental, have run the van on Continental from new I can honestly say the difference is real. This is with similar loading on both sets. My conclusion is if you have different makes/types/sizes your handeling of the van on the road may be effected.

Did you ever get to the bottom of why it was OK for the first few thousand miles and suddenly changed?

The only thing I can think of would be the new tyres bedding in, softening a little maybe, and giving more grip than they did when brand new?

Hi Tracker, it still remains a bit of a mystery, everything was checked by two garages in France.I fitted new heavy duty shocks on the rear and went from new 225/75/r15 rear and 215/75/r15 front which had only done 7000 miles to 225 all round. Great improvement but not 100%. Wondering if rear springs may be weak but thought the semi air fitted would aliviate this to a degree, or possibly the fronts. Van has now covered 34,000 and spent most of its life running at or near max weight. Though not driven hard? Further investigation when back in UK next month. Thank you for your enquiry Ted

I notice that you still quote the profile of your motorhome’s tyres as “75”, though it should be “70”.

You haven’t said which Continental or Michelin tyres your Elddis motorhome has/had. In principle Michelin “Agilis Camping” might be expected to provide better grip off-road than Continental “VancoCamper” tyres as the Michelin tyre is M+S-marked - but whether that’s true in practice is anybody’s guess. I’ve had motorhomes with Continental and Michelin tyres and, on grassed surfaces, the grip was never going to be great with either make as the tread pattern is designed primarily for a metalled road surface.

I can’t see why having 215/70 tyres on the front wheels and 225/70 tyres on the rear wheels (instead of 215/70 tyres all round) should provoke oversteer - in fact it should combat oversteer symptoms to a degree. And, if the vehicle is exhibiting oversteer, replacing the 215/70 front tyres with 225/70 tyres should make matters worse. Replacing the rear dampers could well have helped if the originals were shot, though.

My mistake they are 225/70/r15 Agilis green m+s camping car tyres. The original when new 2012 were

Continental Vancocamper tyres. I used the same make and spec replacements through to 2017. I covered so 28000 miles on them. Average 100/120 nights away a year and found the traction fair considering front wheel drive loaded etc. I feel that the 225/70 Agilis give a better ride on the road but seem to not be so good off it. Although having uprated the MAM it is only 150 kgs more than the MAM when bought new in 2012,

Care is always take to evenly distribute the weight even to the point of weighing each wheel separately with a friend portabl scale. I appreciate 150 kgs is still a lot of weight but when loaded for a long trip I only carry the minimum water as for some reason Elddis put the fresh water tank behind the grey water placing it further back from the rear axle?

witzend - 2018-04-24 9:42 AM

First timed it rained and I braked the new tyre locked up 8-) ........

ABS problem perhaps ?

Don't think Dave will have a problem with ABS on Horace. :D

Archived