mosses in Scotland.

athiest

Hi all, anyone know what the Scots are feeding the mosses this year. Just got back from a fortnight & 1300 mile trip around the highlands. Came to clean the van fitted with white wing mirror covers just as every year before, but can only remove the bloodstains on the covers by scrapping with a knife. These were really deep into the plastic. Will now have to try plastic gloss paint to get them looking good again. Any ideas on the best way to bring them back to their usual shiny look would be gratefully received. "A"

There was a video on BBC News website at the beginning of the week, showing the midges were very much out. The presenter was wearing a midge protector over his head, took off a glove, within 30seconds his hand was smothered with them. They were that thick the were visible in the air & lots of noise.

Maybe you need the rain !! That should at least stop them flying :'(

Sorry no suggestions as to what will clean them off the motorhome.

I've just done the coast from Saltcoats to Glasgow and didn't see any midges :-D

Not many parking restrictions either - just drive on to the harbours and park (lol)

The Scots don't like being ruled by Westminster (who does) so Westminster showers them with English taxpayer's money to stop them voting SNP. Similar situation to the Irish and Welsh. So they don't need to raise money through parking charges, admission fees, etc. (lol)

Highlight of the coast trip was probably the view from Lyle Hill (Greenock)

Drive right up and park for free. Then drive down to the harbour and park for free too (lol)

Parked outside the People's Palace in Glasgow (free) and went in (free) - highlight of the trip.

Shame Her Unelected Majesty doesn'tmake over one of her palaces to the people so the English can have a People's Palace too

Then parked in central Edinburgh yesterday (free) and visited the museums (free) (lol)

Hi again, thanks both for the replies. Never thought of Glasgow as we like the open country side, vehicle free roads & lochs. We always stay on sites as we like all the amenities that go with sites. We tour Scotland at least twice a year so perhaps we will give Glasgow a look. "A"

Hi Barry. I have 41 bites all over my body & arms/legs the BH has 1. They only bother me for a couple of days. This post is more about the damage that the midges have done to my mirror covers. Never in the last 8 years have I failed to be able to clean the covers, but this time the blood was deep. Will check the above site but I dought that it will change our route. "A"

athiest - 2018-06-11 11:20 AM

. We always stay on sites as we like all the amenities that go with sites

Unfortunately I guess that means you will be going in to the city at busy times when driving and parking is not so easy :-S

athiest - 2018-06-11 7:53 PM

Hi Barry. I have 41 bites all over my body & arms/legs

Apparently they prefer to bite animals and only bite peope when there are no animals around. I guess because the poor animals have no arms to brush them away. and their faces and fur coats full of midges in hot weather :-(

Hi folks, we are currently at Dingwall, having arrived a couple of days ago.

Currently wet and windy, so moses not realy active yet here.

Travelled up using 4 britstops, near Swindon, Penrith,the east of m6 and somewhere east of Glasgow, the just north of perth, before arriving here at Dingwall,

Came over the new bridge at Queensferry..massive structure..

Not sure where next, but considering day visit to Orkney...

Last year , went around the north coast 500, so where this year to be decided.

Sitting out the threatened storm today/tonight.

Anyone else in this area just now. Tonyg3nwl look for the reg no.

athiest - 2018-06-09 4:05 PM

Hi all, anyone know what the Scots are feeding the mosses this year. Just got back from a fortnight & 1300 mile trip around the highlands. Came to clean the van fitted with white wing mirror covers just as every year before, but can only remove the bloodstains on the covers by scrapping with a knife.

Not sure if they are attracted to white but i remember camping in Scotland years ago and had a white car which used to get covered in midges. I was always lucky, they never had a bite at me thankfully but a lady on the same campsite was very badly bitten all over her face and arms. There are face nets available (similar to what bee keepers use) and i've seen some wearing those. Look a bit 'odd' but at least you won't get bitten!

Worst i've ever had was a mosquito bite on one foot.....in Germany of all places!

Archived