motor scooter and cycle rack

sreve

Hi there,hope someone can offer some advice.I am on the lookout for another motorhome at the moment possibly with a rear garage because we want to take away with us a motor scooter and 2 cycles.With a rear garage we could have the scooter on a rack and the cycles in the garage or vice versa,but if we go for a u-shape lounge van (which we would prefer) without a garage has anyone any idea how we can carry 2 cycles and a scooter.(We have full size bikes) on the rear of the van.

Thanks for any advice.

Only a very few motorhomes have the carrying capacity to take a scooter rack because the weight of rack plus scooter hanging so far back.  This compromises the rear axle loading limits of the vehicle, regardless of whatever payload the garage floor may be strong enough to take. 

Whatever you do check the weights and the axle loading implications of anyinstallation very carefully yourself or take expert advice. Whatever you do, don't take at face value what the supplier of your scooter rack tells you about weight and axle loading effects.

sreve - 2017-06-21 9:28 PM

Hi there,hope someone can offer some advice.I am on the lookout for another motorhome at the moment possibly with a rear garage because we want to take away with us a motor scooter and 2 cycles.With a rear garage we could have the scooter on a rack and the cycles in the garage or vice versa,but if we go for a u-shape lounge van (which we would prefer) without a garage has anyone any idea how we can carry 2 cycles and a scooter.(We have full size bikes) on the rear of the van.

Thanks for any advice.

That would be virtually impossible in a sub 3.5kgs van if you want to comply with legal requirements. Even in a higher rated van the weight on the rear axle is likely to be excessive.

Mike88 - 2017-06-22 9:18 AM

sreve - 2017-06-21 9:28 PM

Thanks for any advice.

That would be virtually impossible in a sub 3.500 kgs van if you want to comply with legal requirements. Even in a higher rated van the weight on the rear axle is likely to be excessive.

A trailer would possibly be your only option!

Keith.

The only way you can do it with a rear lounge motorhome and a scooter rack is with folding bikes that will store in the Luton overcab bed. I have a Swift Kontiki 640 which I have been thinking about replacing for years but there are so few vans with a rear lounge that can take a scooter on the back and have storage for bikes. Ours does just manage to do this partly because its 21 years old and was built before motorhomes got a bit lardy with heavy internal equipment and fittings and partly because its on Alko chassis with a shorter overhang at the back than most motorhomes.

The two folding mountain bikes I got are just cheap ones from Argos, they are ok but they seem to leap in price if you want something better quality. I put them both and a Sevylor inflatable Kayak up in the overcab which also counterbalances the weight on the back.

You will really struggle to find a van of that layout that will take a scooter to be honest. Swift do a Esprit 496 with a rear lounge and overcab with nearly a ton of payload but they are quite new and like hens teeth to find. Ive not seen one in the flesh.

There are a fair few vans with over garage beds and a large garage that will take a scooter though but I would still be looking for somewhere forward to put bikes

My Benimar 710 CCX has a rear garage & over garage bed and we take my motorbike and 2 folding electric bikes in the garage. We are uprated to 3850Kg and I checked the rear axle loading at the weighbridge & we are well within limits when holiday loaded. (Don't carry water other than 10 litres in containers)
We bought the Sachs MadAss 125 specifically as its 100Kg and very thin (no tank), has big wheels & a pillion seat.
The only bugbear is that I have to remove the bike wing mirrors and we have to raise the bed to get the bike in the garage via a ramp - pushing it up backwards. Have it down to a T now so no problem.
Works for us. 

DSC02899a.thumb.jpg.615a009d4cc28b97b5b06028aa2a34fa.jpg

As others have said, carrying a scooter plus 2 bikes on a rack on a rear lounge layout is virtually impossible, mainly because of the huge overhang on modern vans with this layout.

I carry a 130Kg scooter in the garage (1 metre behind the rear axle) plus a mountain bike. This is on a 4250Kg chassis and I have about 50Kg spare on the rear axle (with full fresh water tank).

there are rear lounge (large/expensive) vans from the likes of Frankia (and Hymer, Euramobil?) that manage a full sized garage below them....

this means the scooter/bikes arent slung way out beyond the rear of the van, but in the 'normal' garage, minimising any pendulum/fulcrum effect.

Archived