replacement/repair satellite dome

Violet1956

Big oops this morning. Son was helping OH clean the van and son put his knee through in our Camos satellite dome on the roof leaving an 8" diameter hole. OH is considering repairing it as he doesn't much like the cost of a new one (about £150) says he's going to try to fix it with a fibreglass infill. He's made boats out of fibreglass before but I do wonder whether he has any chance of making a good repair. Has anyone else done this?

Spoken with the experience of an OH who knows her husband's limitations!  (And these domes are very thin for a reason, so repairs involving laying up fibreglass inside might compromise either signal intensity or clearance for rotating internals.)

Conrad Anderson (and similar installation companies) may have spare domes from dead satellites they have taken off and replaced.

StuartO - 2018-03-16 12:47 PMSpoken with the experience of an OH who knows her husband's limitations!  (And these domes are very thin for a reason, so repairs involving laying up fibreglass inside might compromise either signal intensity or clearance for rotating internals.)

Conrad Anderson (and similar installation companies) may have spare domes from dead satellites they have taken off and replaced.

Cheers Stuart. I thought as much. Have contacted Conrad Anderson and they are getting a price of a new one for me. Veronica

Our Dome was broken by someone who was doing work on our van!! Did not own up to it. The internal workings where damaged so we had to have a new one. They tried to get into workshop, but the door was not high enough! They did "repair" the dome , and it did not show, hence we did not know about it!! It should be OK with a repair, and worth a try, BUt make sure it works!

Cost £200.00 for the new one, but hopefully just the cover will be cheaper

PJay

We realised after that they extended the door to workshop, after our damage

Mrs D put her hand through ours a few days before a five month trip. I did repair ours with Araldite I think. I just patched up the bit that had fallen through. Looked a right mess but it worked. Then a day later someone on FACTS over in Manchester said they had an old MK1 Dome and I could have the whole lot for £40 so I drove over there and got that.

If you cant fix it there maybe someone out there with an old useless Mk1 dome. They no longer work and were not up-gradable but the domes are the same.

I would have a bash at fixing it though. Nothing to lose as long as you make sure its water tight.

PJay - 2018-03-16 3:16 PM

Our Dome was broken by someone who was doing work on our van!! Did not own up to it. The internal workings where damaged so we had to have a new one. They tried to get into workshop, but the door was not high enough! They did "repair" the dome , and it did not show, hence we did not know about it!! It should be OK with a repair, and worth a try, BUt make sure it works!

Cost £200.00 for the new one, but hopefully just the cover will be cheaper

PJay

We realised after that they extended the door to workshop, after our damage

How very sneaky of them PJay. There's no hope of a repair because the damage is too great but there was fortunately no damage to the internal bits. Incidentally Conrad Anderson couldn't help so I am looking at sourcing a replacement from Outdoor bits. It's a bit of an annoying expense because we don't watch much telly when we are on our travels and it just came with our second hand van. We could manage without it but we wouldn't strip it out because one day...when we find that perfect van and a whole load of money falls from the heavens, we hope to p/x it. ;-)

Veronica

Barryd999 - 2018-03-16 3:25 PM

Mrs D put her hand through ours a few days before a five month trip. I did repair ours with Araldite I think. I just patched up the bit that had fallen through. Looked a right mess but it worked. Then a day later someone on FACTS over in Manchester said they had an old MK1 Dome and I could have the whole lot for £40 so I drove over there and got that.

If you cant fix it there maybe someone out there with an old useless Mk1 dome. They no longer work and were not up-gradable but the domes are the same.

I would have a bash at fixing it though. Nothing to lose as long as you make sure its water tight.

Inspired by your post Barry the OH is now seeking to piece together the broken bits securing them with gaffer tape to the hole and hoping to find some araldite/similar in his man cave. Shame that we don't seem to have any motorhome/caravan breakers locally here in Bucks. He works so hard for his money that he won't waste a penny of it when a bodge job "will do". The evidence is all around me and I should have known this was what he would be like in our dotage. I recall his Pa scouring breakers yards when his ageing car needed fixing way back before we were married. His parents were never really that short of a "bob" but it anything could be done on the cheap then bingo that's how it would be done.

PJay - 2018-03-17 2:56 PM

Violet

We got our dome and replacement from

adventure motorhomes (Nick Stevens

www.adventure-motorhomes.co.uk in bridgwater somerset

very helpful guy, may have an old cover?

PJay

Thanks Pjay. I will investigate. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my dearest has been employing some araldite and, I have to admit, a rather consummate skill,in repairing said dome. If only I had the skill to post the before and after pictures. :-S

Violet1956 - 2018-03-17 6:43 PM

PJay - 2018-03-17 2:56 PM

Violet

We got our dome and replacement from

adventure motorhomes (Nick Stevens

www.adventure-motorhomes.co.uk in bridgwater somerset

very helpful guy, may have an old cover?

PJay

Thanks Pjay. I will investigate. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my dearest has been employing some araldite and, I have to admit, a rather consummate skill,in repairing said dome. If only I had the skill to post the before and after pictures. :-S

You could download Windows Image resizer if your using a windows PC or just google online image resizer and use one of the online ones.

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

Or just posts the image to a hosting site like tinypic or postimg and just post the link to it on here.

This forum is archaic when it comes to posting attachments sadly.

Thanks Barry. I downloaded the microsoft resizing app but can't get it to work. I am a bit of a lost cause on the IT front sadly. When son is available he may be able to help. He always appears to fix all things IT related that I have spent hours trying to resolve in less than a few minutes. :-(

Veronica

Archived